Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 19 Apr 2010, 12:55 PM
Coach

As far as the Octi on the ice. I have no problem with traditions. You wanna fire up your fans cool. Be careful when doing it before the game while the opponent looks on. But to do it on their ice is beyond disrespectful. It is the equivalent of taking a dump on someone's couch. I mean they did it in a loss when down. At home do what u want. Cubs fans also were caught switching the home run ball to a scrub ball brought from home so their tradition is shaky at best. Besides I see a lot of teams doing that not just the Cubs who have not won since early 1900s. They may need a new tradition. See Coyotes fan tossing snakes on the ice. It needs to stop. Hats after 3 goals is respect. Dead animals are obnoxios. For either team. My question was it the NHL or the arena that subjects them to arrest? Pretty sure Wings fans didnt go to jail when they did it in the Joe. Am I wrong?
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 01:38 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB911 View Post
We also went through a horrible economic swing where unemployment was at an all-time high and we led the nation in foreclosures. Hard to find extra money to just throw at a team not committed and possibly moving.
Everyone when through a horrible economic downswing.

Quote:
The success of the team appeared to be just a fluke as there was no way they could sustain it. Luckily we were wrong and they turned into a powerful team destined for greatness. But it wasnt like the "Fan base" was never supportive. Just look at the crowd's since 2010.
It's amazing what winning can do, right? last season the Yotes were under .500. I can guarantee the crowds werent the same. Now they are winning and doing well and, boom, lots of people claiming to be 'fans'.

Again, it's not pointed at you Troy, I know you've been a fan and that's cool. But the true measure of a fan base is how they react in bad times and there have been some bad years in PHX hockey in the last decade.
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 02:05 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Cubs fans also were caught switching the home run ball to a scrub ball brought from home
umm, a LOT of people do that anymore....bring a ball from home just in case they catch a home run ball...then throw their ball onto the field and still have a souvenir......

....it's a stupid thing to expect a fan to give up a souvenir anyway

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
You come up here in Minnesota...and we've had what, maybe 2 good seasons and the rest have been mediocre at best. And guess what...since the Wild's first game we've sold out every single game. EVERY SINGLE GAME! Now THAT is a dependable fan base.
Just to point something out...anyone that went to a Wild game last season knows that even though they say those games are "sold out" they are counting total tickets out and not total attendance... I went to 3 games last season and there were plenty of open seats in the upper areas....likely bought by a corporation/company...and sure, they are paid for, but there most certainly wasn't any 'fans' (or anyone else for that matter) sitting in those seats...

Not to mention tickets almost being given away on the streets from season ticket holders...
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 03:51 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
Just to point something out...anyone that went to a Wild game last season knows that even though they say those games are "sold out" they are counting total tickets out and not total attendance... I went to 3 games last season and there were plenty of open seats in the upper areas....likely bought by a corporation/company...and sure, they are paid for, but there most certainly wasn't any 'fans' (or anyone else for that matter) sitting in those seats...

Not to mention tickets almost being given away on the streets from season ticket holders...
My in-laws have season tickets. I went to 10-12 games this year and I'd say all of them were at LEAST 96% full.

Not sure what games you went to or if you looked at the crowd in the 3rd period.

And you know, we are in some hard economic times...wait, that excuse has already been used.
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 10:06 AM
Coach

Well when you speak of Minnesota or states that are "Hockey" states you can keep a fan base going from the college ranks, pond hockey, pee wee, juniors, etc. Ever hear of Arizona St. When Hell Freezes over Devils? We dont have hockey here. Kids dont get to play as much. I would wager the Suns kill the TWolves in attendance, fan base, overall love for the sport.

Having said that there IS a loyal following. But there was a transition in which the Coyotes had lost their identity. Hard to get behind a team that has a turnstile in the locker room. Heck we have had just about every skater in the NHL at one point. The first gen of Coyotes were supported 100%....then they ship out our beloved stars. Even young talent we had to watch leave. Briere was just one of many that we lost. It just seemed like the club was NOT committed to moving forward. Then the move came and the team went from central Phoenix to way west in Glendale.

Rush hour traffic in a booming Metro area like Phoenix can be about 1.5 hours drive from work to the arena. If the average person leaves the office at 5pm then need to hustle to get to the game. So if they are winning at a 20% clip you have to find something else. Most cities dont have Suns, DBacks, Cardinals, Coyotes, Sun Devils, Nascar, PGA, concerts at 5 dif venues, Symphony, Opera, comedy, WNBA, Arena FBall, ATP Tennis, NHRA, and warm weather that makes for fun in the sun golfing, swimming, fishing, and the list goes on.

So I wouldnt go as far as saying they are band-wagoners. But if they were at least .500 they would get support. DBacks won a Pennant and they struggle to compete for the entertainment dollar. So much to do that it is near impossible to do it all. Arizona is in the top 5 of most effected states. It is near impossible to even find work. Here is:
WHAT THE FED SAYS: Its latest regional look at the economy

But the contraction is far from uniform. Zandi's firm estimates that in January, 30 state economies were expanding while 15 were "at risk" of slipping into recession.

Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan and Nevada were already in a recession at the start of the year. Those states account for one-quarter of the nation's total economic output.

Luckily I afforded most of the games this year. Many die hards as well. Of course to sell a joint out you need 5000 give or take fringe fans or those who want a commitment to win which is clearly the direction of the current Coyote squad. Tippett has done a fine job.
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 10:13 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
My in-laws have season tickets. I went to 10-12 games this year and I'd say all of them were at LEAST 96% full.

Not sure what games you went to or if you looked at the crowd in the 3rd period.

And you know, we are in some hard economic times...wait, that excuse has already been used.
10-12 games? Ive been to 33. Who is the bigger fan?

Most of the games this season are pretty full. It is the cheap seats that are scarce. Upper corners and end zones are very sketchy. The rest is packed. Usually a small patch some corporation picked up and do a crap job distributing their tickets. All games vs. Canadian teams are sell outs or close. Chicago and Detroit too. But some reason a few San Jose games were about 60% only. A few this year like that. Usually a Tuesday night school day game. But bottom line is we are in the right direction and I am proud of all involved including myself for sticking in since early this season when I heard we could lose them.

All the pressure on The Wings tonight. Yotes get up 2-0 they will go into a shell and force Detroit to play a different game. Good luck. Even though I want us to win. Should remain a great series.
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 11:08 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

I would love to go to more games, but with two kids and a wife without a job, it's hard to. Which speaks to your reason why its hard to go to games. It's not just Arizona. It's all over the place.

As a fan that follows my teams no matter what their record is (I am a Detroit Lions fan for God's sake), anyone who only follows their team when they are above .500 is a bandwagon fan. I'd be willing to bet that there are more bandwagon fans for Hockey in Phoenix than there are in Minnesota or Michigan.

One thing getting lost here, is that I'm not talking about fan base as it relates to only fans attending games...what about fanbase outside of attending games? Just because you don't spend $75/ticket to go to a game doesnt mean you aren't a fan. In fact, I probably only missed 5-10 games that were televised for the Wild. Again, I'd be willing to bet the viewership of Minnesota hockey is and has been much larger in years of crappy teams than when there were crappy teams in Phoenix.
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 11:56 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Proximity has a lot to do with it, too

I've been a Twins and Vikings fan all my life (MN had no NBA team then and I've just never been exposed to much hockey)........but the CLOSEST I have ever lived to where they play is where I live right now..........a 4-5 hour drive away. You guys have been to more games this year than I have in my entire life. Try saying I'M not a big fan anyway.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 06:29 PM
Coach

Yea Storm my comment was tongue in cheek. I know ur a fan. Money has nothing to do with that. I c an also afford it cuz I can get them at half price since they arent the town's #1 draw as of yet. If at full price no way could I go. Also u must realize when I tell people I am a Native of Arizona they are shocked cuz you meet so many transplants. So yes there are more band wagon fans here because most are not from here.
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 09:10 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

now THAT is the defense I remember seeing this season

Series on!
Unread 20 Apr 2010, 09:46 PM
Coach

Another good game. Scores late may not reflect it. Thought first goal was w hi stick. But no Span hurt us. We got the split so mission accomplished. Think I can get a good price for my 6th row blue line game 5 tickets?