Home
Portfolio
Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > NEW MEMBERS START HERE > Welcome New Members! > Got Questions?
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Got Questions? Feel free to ask them here

Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:10 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default How do I? Where do I? What can I? New forum questions

Ok, I'm still learning these things, too....so I'm starting this thread to mention a few things I DO know...if you see something 'neat' you wanna share, do so. I'm also not averse to some changes here....there's a lotta green here, I may take some out for example.

Some tidbits as I think of them, in no particular order:

1.) You'll notice there's currently no IPO Talk or Player Movement forums. But....there is- I opted to put a subforum for those in each individual sport's forum....in large part to increase the activity in those forums

2.) If you're on broadband, you may not use this much....but each group of forums (Game related, etc) is collapsible. You can show/hide them as you like by clicking the button on the right end of each group's header.

3.) I have new user titles in place- you start out as a prospect, then become a 7th round draft pick...working your way up the 'draft order', etc...and up to GM as you accumulate posts.

4.) I haven't yet set details (it's all customizable), but there are user rankings as well as user warnings we can utilize- one being a positive thing, the other not so much (as in we can impose penalty points if a member insults another member...accumulate too many points and you're automatically suspended for a few days or whatever we set).

5.) There is a quick reply option- if you're not gonna use a smilie and just wanna make a quick reply to a post, the far right of the group of 4 activates the quick reply box where you can type your reply, submit, and see it display without having to even leave the page.

6.) You recognize the edit and quote buttons of that group of 4....now I've told you about the quick reply. The 3rd button of that group is multiquote. Sometimes a reply you're making will refer to more than one previous post. Using multiquote you can quote more than one post- click the multiquote button on the posts you want to quote, then click post reply....those posts should now be quoted in your response.

7.) You'll see a 'New Posts' link up at the top- wanna see what all the new posts are since you were last here? Click that...you'll get a display of every thread in every forum so you can pick and choose which you wanna look at.

8.) Next to New Posts is Search- seem to remember a thread with, say, Sidney Crosby in the title but not can't seem to find it? Search for it. I'm not even sure how sophisticated the search (and advanced search) is.

9.) Along that line, seem to remember a specific member posting something? Find A post by them so you can click their name to go to their profile (which is another whole ball o' wax) and you can search for ALL their posts.

10.) You'll notice there's a baseball field icon beside each forum. But...did you notice that the bases were full in a forum with unread posts in it? Bases are empty if there's not.

11.) It hasn't worked in the old forums for a long time, but it works here- while inside a forum, there's a link to mark that forum as read (there's other links as well). If you're catching up on the boards and want to mark forums as read individually as you do, now you can.

12.) There's even more smilies (like we needed 'em) and actually I could put in a ton more (heck I could have 100 bananas alone...but c'mon)....but if there's a smilie you use a lot, I kinda 'ranked' them so that the most used ones show up without having to click the 'show more' link. If I've missed some you use a lot or whatever, let me know- when I set this originally it was 4 rows wide...until I found out that was a PIA for those with resolutions under 1280.

Sidebar: it's always been true...if you know what a smilie is named, you can always just type it in.... if I want to show I can just type : albert : (spaces added so the text shows)

Well that's enough to chew on in one post. Feel free to add to this, feel free to ask questions- I'm learning this thing, too. The idea is to have some fun with this and generate more community activity again. I put this under new members because, at this point, we all ARE re these forums.

Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:20 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
5.) There is a quick reply option- if you're not gonna use a smilie and just wanna make a quick reply to a post, the far right of the group of 4 activates the quick reply box where you can type your reply, submit, and see it display without having to even leave the page.
Actually, you CAN use a smilie with the quick reply button. You just have to know the name/style of it. I.E. "; )", or ": einstien :", etc. If you know that, you can just use the quick reply...
Unread 14 Mar 2007, 12:36 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
Actually, you CAN use a smilie with the quick reply button. You just have to know the name/style of it. I.E. "; )", or ": einstien :", etc. If you know that, you can just use the quick reply...
Like this? :einstein:

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 14 Mar 2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Except it's : albert :

ST
Unread 14 Mar 2007, 12:39 AM
GM

That is I mean.

Hey wait shouldn't that be a smilie for that el hombre that plays first base for the Cardinals.

Of course we can't call him the man because another Cardinal got that a long time ago.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 12:24 PM
Head Coach

Question Subscribe?

What does 'Subscribe to this forum do"
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Well, if we charged a fee for certain things. IE - An "Expert Advice" forum or something. We don't have any plans for it yet, but you never know.

Nick
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 05:25 PM
JSAdmin

Actually, that's not what the subscribe to this forum thing is for....

If you subscribe to a thread or a forum, you'd get an email sent to you whenever a new post was made in it......say, for example, you asked a question in the Tech forum and wanted to know if someone replied to it...you could subscribe to it and the software would let you know.

What Nick is referring to, tho, is that we can set certain aspects of the forums, etc, to be pay features...or for example, could potentially utilize the forum software to track who's paid for a JS fantasy league...stuff like that.
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 06:41 PM
4th Round Draft Pick

Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare29

[quote=SiteWolf;671]
If you subscribe to a thread or a forum, you'd get an email sent to you whenever a new post was made in it......say, for example, you asked a question in the Tech forum and wanted to know if someone replied to it...you could subscribe to it and the software would let you know.

QUOTE]

At first I thought this was a great feature, then figured since I visit the forums a couple times a day, it is not really needed, for me anyways.
Unread 17 Mar 2007, 09:37 PM
Head Coach

[quote=nightmare29;678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post

QUOTE]

At first I thought this was a great feature, then figured since I visit the forums a couple times a day, it is not really needed, for me anyways.
There was an option in the old forums when you posted as to whether you wanted an email if someone else posted. I turned that off because I got too many emails. This new one has a pull down list. There's a do not subscribe and a no email notification. What's the difference?
Unread 18 Mar 2007, 02:54 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare29
right, this is more a feature for those who might not frequent a forum on a regular basis....or just think they'd forget to check a particular forum/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44

There was an option in the old forums when you posted as to whether you wanted an email if someone else posted. I turned that off because I got too many emails. This new one has a pull down list. There's a do not subscribe and a no email notification. What's the difference?
I'd have to look.....put it this way, if you don't check anything, nothing will change.....but I'll look when the Guinness is no longer in my system.
Unread 04 Sep 2007, 09:18 AM
Resident Nurse

i have 2 quick questions. this morning while checking out the new features i noticed on the market 2 page some of the players were highlighted, whats that mean? also i noticed in my LT port the splits are highlighted blue,why are nonsplits pink or not highlighted at all? thank you in advance.
Unread 04 Sep 2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

CherokeeAngel:

Market 2
Stocks are highlighted if you already own them in the currently selected portfolio.
Total Value: Grey
Monthly: Red
Quarterly: Yellow
Yearly: Blue
Also, please refer to this post for further information on Market 2.

Portfolio Highlighting
Pink/Red highlighted players are players that are currently de-activated/retired.

Thanks,
Nick
Unread 04 Sep 2007, 12:50 PM
Resident Nurse

thank you very much, and thanks for the link!
Unread 04 Sep 2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Not a problem

Nick