Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Techie Corner
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techie Corner Ask/Answer computer questions

Unread 19 Jan 2012, 12:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default Phone Apps

With smartphones becoming more and more the norm these days...what's everyone's favorite non-phone specific apps?

I usually always download and check out the Amazon Free App Of The Day. (Also available for iPhone) They are hit and miss as far as being good or not but I did get Docs To Go (Full MS Office Suite, with editing capabilities), which is a $15 app for free, so worth looking at every day...

As for games, I've been playing Words With Friends lately...got all the Angry Birds. Coin dozer and Bejeweled are also good time killers.

The latest app that has me curious is Path. It is a new social networking tool that will automatically log your locations, you can share pics, info, etc... with your friends. The program (currently) only allows you to have a hundred or so friends, so it isn't a program that will be "spam" heavy and is geared towards associating with only your "real" friends and not just any/every one on the internet.

Of course I have Netflix and if you are Netflix subscriber, why wouldn't you have Netflix on your device? It is a battery killer, but buying a spare battery off of Amazon is usually on $5 so I have 2 spares at all times...

(Edit: when's the Jock$tocks app coming out? The exposure from having an app and being able to make real time buys and check your port from your phone might lure untold #'s of people to the site...)

Unread 19 Jan 2012, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
With smartphones becoming more and more the norm these days...what's everyone's favorite non-phone specific apps?

I usually always download and check out the Amazon Free App Of The Day. (Also available for iPhone) They are hit and miss as far as being good or not but I did get Docs To Go (Full MS Office Suite, with editing capabilities), which is a $15 app for free, so worth looking at every day...

As for games, I've been playing Words With Friends lately...got all the Angry Birds. Coin dozer and Bejeweled are also good time killers.

The latest app that has me curious is Path. It is a new social networking tool that will automatically log your locations, you can share pics, info, etc... with your friends. The program (currently) only allows you to have a hundred or so friends, so it isn't a program that will be "spam" heavy and is geared towards associating with only your "real" friends and not just any/every one on the internet.

Of course I have Netflix and if you are Netflix subscriber, why wouldn't you have Netflix on your device? It is a battery killer, but buying a spare battery off of Amazon is usually on $5 so I have 2 spares at all times...

(Edit: when's the Jock$tocks app coming out? The exposure from having an app and being able to make real time buys and check your port from your phone might lure untold #'s of people to the site...)
I haven't had much time to play on the Fire lately, but do have Words with Friends, Monopoly [was the free download a few weeks ago] and Angry Birds.

We also have the Netflix app; however, we have yet to use it. Tried to use it in the airport when we went out to SD, but the free airport WiFi couldn't handle it.

At minimum, we hope to have a mobile version of the Jockstocks site available for use by the baseball season! the app will have to wait though, as I don't have any experience coding for apps. PLUS [!!] I've heard you can convert mobile sites into apps

Nick
Unread 20 Jan 2012, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
We also have the Netflix app; however, we have yet to use it. Tried to use it in the airport when we went out to SD, but the free airport WiFi couldn't handle it.
Not sure what phone or carrier you are using... but I've used Netflix with no problems using 3G and not having to turn on the wifi.
Unread 20 Jan 2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator

My Kindle Fire is only WiFi

Nick
Unread 20 Jan 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
My Kindle Fire is only WiFi

Nick
Ah...

I use my phone's mobile hotspot to get wifi to my tablet.
Unread 20 Jan 2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ah...

I use my phone's mobile hotspot to get wifi to my tablet.
That could work, if I decide to upgrade my phone out of the 90's.

Still using a Nokia E71x -- less distractions via the phone.

Nick
Unread 20 Jan 2012, 02:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That could work, if I decide to upgrade my phone out of the 90's.

Still using a Nokia E71x -- less distractions via the phone.

Nick
A quick web search reveals some apps that you could use to do just that with your current phone...
Unread 02 Feb 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Just got done doing my taxes and signed up to Mint.com and got their phone app as well...

Very slick...able to view balances and transactions on all my accounts. Some of the banks I deal with don't even offer that.

It of course offers a full range of features ... budget creation and monitoring, email and/or text alerts. It will automatically categorize most of your transactions so with a click of a button you can see where you are spending your money.

Anyone that wants to pay very close attention to their money and accounts, I think this is a great tool and best of all, its all free.

The web site is where you will need to enter all your account info, get the phone app and then you can access all the info from your phone in a very user friendly fashion. In fact, just using their web site is probably enough for some, but if you get the phone app, that's what really makes their services sing...

Unread 08 Feb 2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just got done doing my taxes and signed up to Mint.com and got their phone app as well...

Very slick...able to view balances and transactions on all my accounts. Some of the banks I deal with don't even offer that.

It of course offers a full range of features ... budget creation and monitoring, email and/or text alerts. It will automatically categorize most of your transactions so with a click of a button you can see where you are spending your money.

Anyone that wants to pay very close attention to their money and accounts, I think this is a great tool and best of all, its all free.

The web site is where you will need to enter all your account info, get the phone app and then you can access all the info from your phone in a very user friendly fashion. In fact, just using their web site is probably enough for some, but if you get the phone app, that's what really makes their services sing...
I've been using this [the website] since 2009. It used to be better, but still works really well.

I still give it 3.5 out of 5, but only because there is not other alternative.

Nick