UK
IT
DE
SP
US
UEFA
EU Champ

Are there more?
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 10:29 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

I love watching a little footy. Can't wait til the World Cup!

UK - United Kingdom
IT - Italy
DE -Germany
SP - Spain
US - United States

UEFA - Union of European Football Association
EU Champ - European Champion

Too bad it's just the European matches on tv. Would like to see some of the other World Leagues
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 10:37 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by da freak View Post
is it seasonal?

What the heck do all these mean?
UK -- United Kingdom (which refers to the English Premier League)
IT -- Italy (refers to the Italian Serie A league)
DE -- Denmark (refers to the Danish Football Association)
SP -- Spain (refers to La Liga)
US -- USA (refers to Major League Soccer)
UEFA -- Union of European Football Associations (ruling body of soccer in Europe)
EU Champ -- European champion (international tourny)

many more for example Bundesliga in Germany, the French Ligue 1 in France, there are elite leagues in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Scotland, Portugal, and the rest of the world over. You can add to that international leagues (e.g., CONCACAF) and the number grows even further.

There's a reason it's the most popular and most played sport on the planet.

there are seasons of course, but given the diverse climates and locations it's played in it's always soccer season somewhere.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 10:54 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Thanks to both...

leaves me with a couple of more questions though....

These are all professional leagues and tourney's, right?
Is the world cup a different pool of athletes?
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 11:10 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da freak View Post
Thanks to both...

leaves me with a couple of more questions though....

These are all professional leagues and tourney's, right?
Is the world cup a different pool of athletes?
it's the elite from each nation. the players on the national teams most often come from clubs in different leagues. so while the make-up and collection of athlete's are different, they can all be found playing on their various clubs in various leagues throughout the season.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 05:19 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Didn't know about the Danish league. Learned something new!

Sorry, didn't realize you wanted to know about the leagues. Thought you were just quizing us
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 09:12 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Didn't know about the Danish league. Learned something new!

Sorry, didn't realize you wanted to know about the leagues. Thought you were just quizing us
Honestly I thought you were right that DE=Germany (Deutschland), and thought Denmark was DA (Danmark, where you got the term Danes/Danish from). But thats nitpicking something Im too lazy to double check

For Scandanavian countries, Sweden has the best soccer league though (ditto in hockey).

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 25 Apr 2008, 09:35 PM
GM

you two may be right about the DE. I just assumed that he took the labels from an US site and since spain was abbreviated SP and not ES or ESP I figured Germany would have been GE.

either way, both the DFA and Bundesliga are worth watching if you want some world class soccer.