Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 28 May 2018, 10:05 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Who do YOU remember today?

Thank you veterans for your service this Memorial Day.
Share if you'd like, but the question is more to stimulate your own thinking. The all-encompassing thank you is fine, but often there are particular people either in our lives or that we've seen stories about that we are particularly thinking about.

For me, hands down, I think of my father- an airplane mechanic in the Navy during WWII, who would be 104 right now. I can't believe he's been gone since 1995. How does a farm kid from South Dakota end up an airplane mechanic when he'd never even been ON a plane before joining the Navy? He was a farm kid, and especially back then if you lived on a farm you got to be good with your hands and creative with your repairs, so they used a LOT of farm kids as mechanics just for that reason.

This year in particular, however, I think of my cousin and his father. His father is my lone remaining uncle, who also served in the Navy in WWII, and turned 90 last fall. My cousin is a Viet Nam vet fighting cancer. He was never that big, but he's down to 113 lbs now. To his credit, he's still pushing to do many of the things he likes doing, like puttering in his workshop, riding his motorcycle.

Again, I'm looking to stimulate your thoughts more than generating responses here.

Enjoy the day!
dad navy.jpg (5.1 KB, )

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 28 May 2018, 10:35 AM

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 28 May 2018, 03:48 PM
Head Coach

My dad.
Gave up pitching scholarship to Georgia Tech to be B-17 bombardier during WWII.
Skipping college also resulted in missing his dream of becoming an accountant.
Unread 30 May 2018, 08:28 AM
Prospect

I was in the Navy during Vietnam on the USS Bordelon DD881. We were involved in operation Linebacker which was no fun! I have had cousins and friends killed in combat and I miss them. Memorial day will always mean something to me.
Unread 30 May 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshellj99 View Post
I was in the Navy during Vietnam on the USS Bordelon DD881. We were involved in operation Linebacker which was no fun! I have had cousins and friends killed in combat and I miss them. Memorial day will always mean something to me.
Welcome home brother. I served in Nam 1970/71......for Adm Zumwalt at COMNAVFORV. Lost some friends there also.
Unread 30 May 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
My dad.
Gave up pitching scholarship to Georgia Tech to be B-17 bombardier during WWII.
Skipping college also resulted in missing his dream of becoming an accountant.

That is what our “greatest Generation” did. There was no sacrifice too big. The men and some women went to serve and the rest went to work in the factories to support the war effort. In these generally selfish times we live in now, that will never be seen again....IMO.
Unread 30 May 2018, 01:49 PM
GM

I recently went to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and it is the most memorable place in Washington for me now. It starts out on one end only a few feet tall with less than 100 names on the one panel. By the time a person gets to where the panels meet in the middle the panel is around 9 feet feet tall with about 3,125 names on one panel.

I did find the name I was looking for and there is a guide to find names on the various panels. It can be a very hard task to do though because some of the panels have over 100 lines of names. And the sun can play a factor as well if it hits the panel at the right angle the names would be very hard to read. The closer to each end the easier it is to find a name but I seem to remember the name I found was sort of in the middle between the end and where the panels come together. I do remember line one starts at the top of each panel.

I could only imagine a person that had lost a loved one going there and seeing the name of the person they were close to.

It is quite a sight to see all of the names of people all in the same place and something I will not soon forget for the rest of my life.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 06 Jun 2018, 02:25 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)

On Memorial Day I call my father (at least when I wasn't deployed) to thank him for being so very good at what he did in Vietnam to allow him to come home. I would not be the man I am today without his influence, and when I would listen, his guidance. My many faults are of my own making and likely a direct result of not listening to him when I was a much younger man.
He was a Green Beret doing Black Ops stuff in late 1967 until late 1968. That was Tet and he was on the Ho Chi Min Trail. Think Delta, before it was such a thing. I had some of the highest security clearances possible - things Hillary should have gone to jail for potentially exposing. Yet, he would not talk about it until his organization was declassified in 1998 and he gave me the book "S.O.G." by Ron L. Plaster. Often outnumbered on the ground by hundreds to 1 he never lost a man in combat but returned with vital intelligence, captured soldiers and directed airstrikes that eliminated hundreds if not thousands of enemy combatants.
I remember my Great Uncle that flew 14 bomber missions from England into North Europe during WWII and is buried in an Allied cemetery in Belgium.
I remember Willie McCool, Pilot of Space Shuttle Columbia on its fatal flight. Others call him Breeze (Cool Breeze) but I always called him Waytoo (Way Too Cool). He was the smartest and perhaps most capable pilot I ever flew with. He taught me more about leadership in 15 minutes than I ever learned in 26 years as a Naval officer.
I remember Hoot, Hollywood (even though he was from Seattle), and JC. I lived with two of them and went to college with the third. All were lost in a single mishap.
Skates was in my initial, advanced and final aircraft training classes. I struggle to name all the friends I lost. Chuckles lived just two doors down but I can't recall his real name... just his callsign. Just as he likely only really knew me as Runt.
On Memorial Day, I say a prayer for those we lost. I give thanks for those that came home. Not all came home whole and some came home damaged without visible scars. I thank God that each has a chance for a meaningful life if we, as a nation, provide the healing and support we promised.
Unread 06 Jun 2018, 06:02 AM

AMEN.
Unread 06 Jun 2018, 07:28 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Thanks for taking the time to show us, in real terms, why the meaning of Memorial Day should be a part of our every day lives.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?