Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

View Poll Results: Crown of the helmet rule
Yes, it's a rule that needed to be put in place 2 16.67%
I can kinda agree with it. Probably not that big an impact 2 16.67%
No, this is crap. It won't be called consistently and will impact the game negatively 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 20 Mar 2013, 07:52 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Do you agree with the new crown of the helmet rule?

So, you've likely read/heard about it...today it was passed. In the open field, players can no longer use the crown of the helmet.

Do you agree?
What impact do you think this rule will have?
Do you think the officiating will be consistent?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 08:33 PM
GO STEELERS!

It's the NFL's effort to "crack down on safety" and "protect players against concussions", but players won't stop. If they do, I'd expect more fumbles for RBs and more missed tackles on defense.
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 08:53 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

the crown of the helmet?

forgive my ignorance. How (without leading with the helmet [which is already in place]) does one tackle with the crown of the helmet?...in the open field??

sounds ridiculous.

refs discretion (pffft) on any hit, anyways.

It sounds like they're trying to do something by creating nothing.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 09:39 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

I went and read about it here...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...crown-hit-rule

I now understand.

Quote:
No player is allowed to lower his helmet outside the tackle box when making contact with an opposing player—the result of doing so will now be a 15-yard penalty.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 11:15 PM
JSAdmin

I think it largely depends on how officials handle it....to listen to guys like Jeff Fisher, it'll come into play you wonder why they'd bother making a rule....but if you look at some of their examples from last year that 'may have been penalized had this rule been in place'...we may be in for some frustrations come September.

I've always had a problem with the phrase 'leading with the helmet' anyway. I mean, it's anatomy...the head is above the shoulders and that's where you put your helmet..what else are you gonna lead WITH?

RBs have to brace for a hit, right? I mean, the D is not just trying to tackle the guy with the ball, they're hoping to knock the ball loose. They're supposed to brace for a hit by exposing their chest more..where the ball is?

Also...won't they be more susceptible to neck injuries if they have to keep their head up more while flying shoulders are coming at them?

I'm all for safety...I'm just quite apprehensive about the implementation of this thing...

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 11:19 PM
GM

Talk about some mixed messages from the NFL to me. It is not o.k. to do this outside the tackle box but if it is within the tackle box it is o.k. with the league. Well of course it is. This is all of course in the name of safety. I am all for player safety of course but some things can not be prevented no matter what the rules say. I will not be surprised if concussions increase instead of decrease because of this. All a player has to do is stay within the tackle box where the last time I checked the bigger players tend to be especially along the line of scrimmage. I think that officials are going to be very cautious about this kind of rule because as with some things regarding football it could be called on many plays outside the tackle box. This would seem to me could really slow down a game if they called this every time the situation we are talking about actually happens in a game. But a person should not worry this will only be called part of the time when it actually occurs. The classic example of a penalty happening on most plays is holding.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 21 Mar 2013, 02:29 AM
GO STEELERS!

Unread 21 Mar 2013, 09:53 AM
GM

I read that the league reviewed two weeks of games from last season and there was eleven of these penalties in two weeks worth of games. Eleven divided by thirty two is around 34 percent of games had this type of penalty. I will mention this sample size is only 12.5% of the total regular season though. This is going to be much to do about nothing except if this type of penalty is called or not called in the playoffs. Well there can be important games towards the end of the regular season as well.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 21 Mar 2013, 10:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

The rule change, that I think makes the most sense and was long overdue...

Quote:
The tuck rule, one of the most criticized in pro football, was eliminated. Now, if a quarterback loses control of the ball before he has fully protected it after opting not to throw, it is a fumble.
Unread 21 Mar 2013, 12:02 PM
JSAdmin

wait...so you're saying now when a quarterback fumbles the ball, it's a fumble?! lol
.....and you know darn well, if Brady does it 'his arm was moving forward'

Unread 21 Mar 2013, 12:08 PM
GO STEELERS!

Orren, you need to hurry up and post 3 more times and get to 10,000!
Unread 21 Mar 2013, 04:00 PM
JSAdmin

Hurry? I don't need to hurry.
I think I will sit here, on 9,999 for as long as I....

...dammit!

Unread 21 Mar 2013, 08:18 PM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Hurry? I don't need to hurry.
I think I will sit here, on 9,999 for as long as I....

...dammit!

hahahahaha! YAY!!! Congrats on hitting 10,000 (posts, not years).