Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 10:57 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default So much for change

Seems as though the mccain campaign and their new face really are just more of the same after all. Abuse power, lie about it, and if all else fails, cover it up....what's the saying? Eight is enough?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 11:59 AM
GM

So how exactly is Alaska which last time I checked is an actual state supposed to deal with the media and their great desire to get "dirt" on Palin and balance that with the state doing its business which I am sure involves Palin signing some pieces of paper every once in a while?

I guess Palin should just have a daily briefing about any dirt that she can remember about herself from the previous day?

I can not wait for the old saying to be true about Obama the more things change the more they have stayed the same.

Now this will take years to realize but after Obama has been president we are going to be waking up to more of the same eventually.

The last two democrat presidents have made voters have the real desire to change Washington. And this has led to the two worst presidents since Nixon.

And with William there was a dramatic shift in the congress and it was about as successful at getting things that needed to be done for the country about as well as the congress has been doing since January of last year. Another minor little consequence of William being president was we ended up with the president we have now.

It sure would be nice to have a president that shares the interests of as many people as humanly possible but that is not going to happen no matter who the next president is.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 12:15 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
So how exactly is Alaska which last time I checked is an actual state supposed to deal with the media and their great desire to get "dirt" on Palin and balance that with the state doing its business which I am sure involves Palin signing some pieces of paper every once in a while?

I guess Palin should just have a daily briefing about any dirt that she can remember about herself from the previous day?
ok so i'll let the attacks on Obama go because i don't want to shift focus here (and besides, even though it's fashion around here to cry about people deflecting focus i don't want to play those kid games). that being the mccain camp is following the cookie cutter recipe laid down by the bush administration. in other words, it's ok to blow off the public to cover up lies and abuses of power. we've seen it pour out of the Oval Office for the past seven years now and apparently the new faces of the republican party are more of the same.

as for Alaska, i'm missing your point. it's ok to condone potential illegalities if it makes for nicer press conferences and removes the need to actually answer hard questions? weren't you the one -----ing a while back about how none of the candidates ever get asked the tough questions? and really, don't you think that if someone is going to chase one of the two highest offices in our nation it's best to clear the air now before allowing them to achieve that office and find out they aren't above abusing power then?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 05:25 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
ok so i'll let the attacks on Obama go because i don't want to shift focus here (and besides, even though it's fashion around here to cry about people deflecting focus i don't want to play those kid games). that being the mccain camp is following the cookie cutter recipe laid down by the bush administration. in other words, it's ok to blow off the public to cover up lies and abuses of power. we've seen it pour out of the Oval Office for the past seven years now and apparently the new faces of the republican party are more of the same.
My bad.

When was Obama's last press conference?

Neither parties' candidates have been available for questions since the Republican convention.

Well, other than Palin's ham-handed grilling by Charlie Gibson that was about as obviously baised as they come.

Not to fear.

Pelosi can't keep her big yap shut. Not only do the do-nothing Dems, well...do nothing. They bear no responsibility for it, either.

LOL

At least Obama knew where to dig up $28,000 a head as Wall Street burned. Which, by the way, is absolute crap, pumped up to follow the Clintonian election formula of, "it's the economy, stupid".

Care to venture which campaign benefited most from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae abuses?
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 05:57 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
My bad.

When was Obama's last press conference?

Neither parties' candidates have been available for questions since the Republican convention.

Well, other than Palin's ham-handed grilling by Charlie Gibson that was about as obviously baised as they come.

Not to fear.

Pelosi can't keep her big yap shut. Not only do the do-nothing Dems, well...do nothing. They bear no responsibility for it, either.

LOL

At least Obama knew where to dig up $28,000 a head as Wall Street burned. Which, by the way, is absolute crap, pumped up to follow the Clintonian election formula of, "it's the economy, stupid".

Care to venture which campaign benefited most from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae abuses?
first off, what would you expect pelosi to say. to be honest i think her response was quite tempered, not to mention steeped in fact. there's little doubt that the bush administration (moreso than perhaps any past administration) is directly responsible for the economic crunch occurring during their tenure. what with the ludicrous tax cuts, the inflated government spending, the ongoing debacle in iraq, and the list goes on.

as to the rest, again i'll refrain from turning this into a debate that once again steers us off topic and refer you back to the point at hand. that's not to say the issue isn't worth discussing, just that i'm sick of constantly being berated for deflecting the topic at hand and as a result choose to refrain from doing that.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 06:18 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
as to the rest, again i'll refrain from turning this into a debate that once again steers us off topic and refer you back to the point at hand. that's not to say the issue isn't worth discussing, just that i'm sick of constantly being berated for deflecting the topic at hand and as a result choose to refrain from doing that.
And, again. The fact at hand is that Obama has zero press availability, either. Not that anyone would grill him if he did.

If you're jonesing for another opportunity to butcher Palin, yer just gonna' have to wait- and like it.

I suggest listening to Streisand in the meantime.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 06:23 PM
GM

Quote:

If you're jonesing for another opportunity to butcher Palin, yer just gonna' have to wait- and like it.
not butchering anything. just pointing out that if by some miracle they pull it off we're in for four more of the same and doesn't take a genius to see just how good things are now.

i'll defer to the slogan used by that wise old actor from CA back in the 80's, "ask yourself are you better off now than you were four yrs ago?" if not "do you like where we're going?" (and for the record no i'm not referring to how amazing donovan is playing this year...... )

answering those two questions is really all anyone has to do to know where to push, pull, check, or otherwise mark their ballot this november. it's really quite that simple.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:01 PM
1st Round Draft Pick

some interesting reading. honestly, when it comes to politics, i really do not understand left from right. so, exactly where am i on this. I don't like abortion, but it is the woman's body. yes, i am for capital punishment. just remember, (as a comedian said once) it is USED in Texas!! hmmmmm, what else? it seems that the last several presidents who had military experience did a better job from the military side of things...bill blew off obama, young george went to the wrong counttry, daddy george did right with the 1st gulf war. wished he hadn't said the objective was to just push iraq out of kuwait tho someone in the oil business if a barrell is now <$100 and we are still paying waaaay over $3 a gal. not sure whose fault that is, but it is definitely not a product of supply/demand, it is pure greed imo. yesterday, 2 gas stations right across the street from each other were $4.39/gal and the other one was $3.79/gal. we are definitely getting ripped off and have been for sometime. at least jfk stood up to the russians, but lbj had to let congress lay down the rules for combat. sure glad congress didn't do that for WWI or WWII. no telling whose flag we would be waving if that were the case.

have a great day, and happy trading.

p.s. haven't heard/read anything about the fair tax. is it a dead issue now?
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:21 PM
GM

I just love that I attacked Obama but saying that McCain is acting like the worst president ever that of course is not an attack at all.

Obama of course does not have "cookie cutter" ideas such as taxing the top 5%, some version of Hillary Care part II which will turn into something like Hillarycare part I, saving the planet by using renewable resources etc.

Potential is a very nice word but does not make it a fact it sounds like there is a person that has a axe to grind against Ms. Palin sort of like all those people that were out to get William when he was first campaigning and it came out William was getting help from some state troopers as well and it had nothing at all to do with state business.

Yes I complain that candidates don't get asked questions but I know for darn sure the tougher the question the less likely the candidate whomever they are will answer truthfully. That is a little rhetorical by me actually when I think about it but it is so very true wether a person really likes what I said or not.

Yes I would love for Obama to come out and answer questions truthfully but he can not really do that because the potential of losing is just to great.

Just a few examples it has taken Obama long enough I think it was earlier this month or late last month to even agree that taking away some of the Bush tax cuts for lower income and the richest of the rich actually would mean their taxes would increase and not decrease. Would someone besides me attack Obama because he wants to keep the Bush tax cuts for the middle class. Just one little instance where Obama and the evil Bush agree. There is another issue where Obama better get it right and this will mean that he not only agrees with the president but McCain as well.

I so hope they ask about illegal immigration in one of the debates. Both of them actually will try to avoid the question like no other question because didn't just last year the people actually paid attention to something going on in Washington and the people raised their voices enough like I have not heard them in quite some time and Washington actually listened and did the right thing. Bipartisan effort my butt.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.

Reason: Had more comments about Obama and his little tax scheme. Used the wrong there.
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:26 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
I just love that I attacked Obama but saying that McCain is acting like the worst president ever that of course is not an attack at all.

Obama of course does not have "cookie cutter" ideas such as taxing the top 5%, some version of Hillary Care part II which will turn into something like Hillarycare part I, saving the planet by using renewable resources etc.

Potential is a very nice word but does not make it a fact it sounds like there is a person that has a axe to grind against Ms. Palin sort of like all those people that were out to get William when he was first campaigning and it came our William was getting help from some Arkansas troopers as well and it had nothing at all to do with state business.

Yes I complain that candidates don't get asked questions but I know for darn sure the tougher the question the less likely the candidate whomever they are will answer truthfully. That was actually a little rhetorical when I think about it but it is so very true wether a person really likes what I said or not.

Yes I would love for Obama to come out and answer questions truthfully but he can not really do that because the potential of losing is just to great.

Just a few examples it has taken Obama long enough I think it was earlier this month or late last month to even agree that taking away some of the Bush tax cuts for lower income and the richest of the rich actually would mean there taxes would increase and not decrease.

I so hope they ask about illegal immigration in one of the debates. Both of them actually will try to avoid the question like no other question because didn't just last year the people actually paid attention to something going on in Washington and the people raised their voices enough like I have not heard them in quite some time and Washington actually listened and did the right thing. Bipartisan effort my butt.

so in other words, let's just ignore alleged abuses of power, let's condone the refusal to address them and let's ----- about the opposition. that is unless of course the opposition refuses to answer questions about something. then we'll have something to discuss.

k i got it now.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:29 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredame79 View Post
some interesting reading. honestly, when it comes to politics, i really do not understand left from right. so, exactly where am i on this. I don't like abortion, but it is the woman's body. yes, i am for capital punishment. just remember, (as a comedian said once) it is USED in Texas!! hmmmmm, what else? it seems that the last several presidents who had military experience did a better job from the military side of things...bill blew off obama, young george went to the wrong counttry, daddy george did right with the 1st gulf war. wished he hadn't said the objective was to just push iraq out of kuwait tho someone in the oil business if a barrell is now <$100 and we are still paying waaaay over $3 a gal. not sure whose fault that is, but it is definitely not a product of supply/demand, it is pure greed imo. yesterday, 2 gas stations right across the street from each other were $4.39/gal and the other one was $3.79/gal. we are definitely getting ripped off and have been for sometime. at least jfk stood up to the russians, but lbj had to let congress lay down the rules for combat. sure glad congress didn't do that for WWI or WWII. no telling whose flag we would be waving if that were the case.

have a great day, and happy trading.

p.s. haven't heard/read anything about the fair tax. is it a dead issue now?

cam,

it really isn't necessary to identify with either side. what's important is that you know what matters to you and you vote accordingly. regardless of which side of the ballot that involves. in fact personally i'm not registered with either party and even if i were i doubt i'd vote strict party line it's just foolish to vote based out of some partisan loyalty (at least in my opinion).

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
so in other words, let's just ignore alleged abuses of power, let's condone the refusal to address them
Isn't that what we did during the Billy years?
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:30 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
Isn't that what we did during the Billy years?
gonna have to go with no. seems to me like impeachment pretty much rules out the ignoring and condoning aspects.

Unread 17 Sep 2008, 07:49 PM
All Pro

But he wasn't impeached............

Ultimately, if you say his actions were not ignored then they had to have been condoned.

Either way, it was a very low moment in our country's history.
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Obama interviewed by Bill O'Reilly on 9/4.

McCain & Biden made the rounds on most/all of the morning news/talk showgrams yesterday morning via satellite (I saw them on the Today Show), and McCain appeared on "The View" a few days ago (maybe last week).

I believe Palin's next scheduled interview is with Sean Hannity sometime this week, and then with Katie Couric at the end of the month. Funny thing though, the Couric interview is being hailed as the "2nd" Palin interview. I guess Hannity doesn't really count. Maybe because he's on cable and not a national broadcast network (one of the "big 3").