Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 08 May 2013, 08:41 AM
GO STEELERS!

Default [OT] Twitter #IDontGetIt

Does anyone know how Twitter works?

I'm trying to figure it out, but I think I'm a little confused (I'm new to it). My question is this:

Say I'm trying to write @Jockstocks (hypothetically) and have it appear on their wall/list/whatever it's called.

I want to write something like. "Jockstocks Rocks #SportsGame"

Does that "#SportsGame come up where everyone can see it or only if @Jockstocks allows it? I'm confused because when I click on my hashtag (on my post) it goes to #SportsGame, but it doesn't show my post. Should it not? Can others see it? If not, how can I make it to where they can?
Unread 21 May 2013, 09:28 AM
GO STEELERS!

Anyone?
Unread 21 May 2013, 09:47 AM

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 21 May 2013, 09:52 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post

I'm against it too, but I'm on it to try to get referrals for my survey site. I'm trying #broke and #makemoney, but nothing's coming up.

Can I not see when I use a hashtag and then click on the (hashtagged) link?

Unread 21 May 2013, 10:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20guy View Post
Does anyone know how Twitter works?

I'm trying to figure it out, but I think I'm a little confused (I'm new to it). My question is this:

Say I'm trying to write @Jockstocks (hypothetically) and have it appear on their wall/list/whatever it's called.

I want to write something like. "Jockstocks Rocks #SportsGame"

Does that "#SportsGame come up where everyone can see it or only if @Jockstocks allows it? I'm confused because when I click on my hashtag (on my post) it goes to #SportsGame, but it doesn't show my post. Should it not? Can others see it? If not, how can I make it to where they can?
I'm on Twitter (@SayOw) and I can try and answer your questions as best I can...feel free to PM (or DM (direct message) me on Twitter) if you have additional ones...

When posting anything with @(username) that is called a "mention".

When using the hashtag (#) that is essentially adding it to (or creating) a "discussion thread" about or regarding that hashtag... ie: for the Indianapolis 500, everyone watching it that wants to follow what others are saying about the race and comment as well, they will compose their "tweet" and then be sure to include the hashtag #indy500 (or whatever it might be).

One of my recent "Tweets" was as follows:

I got my ticket...can hardly wait for @Clutchofficial in #Fargo #Wednesday I'd love to hear The Face! http://yfrog.com/ocneixqnj

There is a mention (@ClutchOfficial) so anyone that clicks on that will see that it goes to the band Clutch and then they can view all of Clutch's tweets and any other mentions. If you would click on #Fargo or #Wednesday, you would see all the comments regarding the topics of Fargo and Wednesday....

And regarding hashtags... there are TONS of hashtags and many people take small delight in creating a ridiculous hashtag that likely won't start a discussion, but do so for emphasis/comedy/added effect. Such as #WhyDoesTheWeatherSuckWhenIWantToGoGolfing ... but there are obviously a lot of hashtags with lots of comments...

I also recommend getting a third party Twitter client (I like TweetDeck) ... they make organizing and using Twitter so much quicker and easier. Same goes with your smartphone if you are using that as well..the standard Twitter app is not nearly as good as many other Twitter apps.

Unread 21 May 2013, 12:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

(Side bar...)

Using Twitter in how it relates to the tragedy in Oklahoma...

Quote:
The hashtag #OKMissing is being used to communicate information about missing people, while #OpOK is being used to tell people about where to find shelter and how to volunteer assistance, as well as other information people want to communicate.

Other hashtags urging people to keep tornado victims in their thoughts trended throughout the day Monday, including #Oklahoma and #PrayForOklahoma
Story here.
Unread 21 May 2013, 05:24 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
I'm on Twitter (@SayOw) and I can try and answer your questions as best I can...feel free to PM (or DM (direct message) me on Twitter) if you have additional ones...

When posting anything with @(username) that is called a "mention".

When using the hashtag (#) that is essentially adding it to (or creating) a "discussion thread" about or regarding that hashtag... ie: for the Indianapolis 500, everyone watching it that wants to follow what others are saying about the race and comment as well, they will compose their "tweet" and then be sure to include the hashtag #indy500 (or whatever it might be).

One of my recent "Tweets" was as follows:

I got my ticket...can hardly wait for @Clutchofficial in #Fargo #Wednesday I'd love to hear The Face! http://yfrog.com/ocneixqnj

There is a mention (@ClutchOfficial) so anyone that clicks on that will see that it goes to the band Clutch and then they can view all of Clutch's tweets and any other mentions. If you would click on #Fargo or #Wednesday, you would see all the comments regarding the topics of Fargo and Wednesday....

And regarding hashtags... there are TONS of hashtags and many people take small delight in creating a ridiculous hashtag that likely won't start a discussion, but do so for emphasis/comedy/added effect. Such as #WhyDoesTheWeatherSuckWhenIWantToGoGolfing ... but there are obviously a lot of hashtags with lots of comments...

I also recommend getting a third party Twitter client (I like TweetDeck) ... they make organizing and using Twitter so much quicker and easier. Same goes with your smartphone if you are using that as well..the standard Twitter app is not nearly as good as many other Twitter apps.
Thats a lot better than how I could describe it.

So you'd probably want to tweet ".@jockstocks rocks #Sportsgame". You want to put a period (or some similar punctuation mark, or maybe some inane word) first so that anyone can see it, or else it becomes a direct tweet and the only people who'd see it are those who are mutual friends of the JS twitter account and yours. You get the mention of JS, put out a link to their twitter account and have the appropriate hashtag.

And over a year ago I had Rich's attitude towards twitter. But Ive come around on it. In situations like yesterday's tornado or the Boston bombings, its a great source for information before you hear it on the tv. The flip side if you have to use discretion to wade through bad information and misinformation, but you can get an idea of what's going on without listening to the inane babble of cable news.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 21 May 2013, 06:55 PM
GO STEELERS!

Thank you all for the guidance. I just want to be able to advertise on it.

I think I have enough info.

Thank you all once again.
Unread 22 May 2013, 09:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20guy View Post
Thank you all for the guidance. I just want to be able to advertise on it.
There are lots of people that advertise using Twitter, but "savvy" users are quick to block accounts that advertise...I know I do.