Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > The Fun Lounge
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Fun Lounge Got a joke to share? A favorite video?
Wanna talk video games?
Or just talk about....whatever..

Unread 10 Aug 2011, 04:15 PM
Coach

I hate when driving down a rural 4-lane road when someone will come up behind you, tailgate you almost up to your bumper for a mile or so and than cut you off after they pass you even though theres no other traffic around.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 27 Nov 2011, 03:24 PM

when athletes point to the names on their backs after scoring...SLAP!
Point to the name on the FRONT you jackasses
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 27 Nov 2011, 04:20 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

when officials screw up calls........AND coaches let 'em 'get away with it' by not challenging...

Vikings get a break when a punt hits a Falcon and the Vikings pick up the ball and head for the endzone........only, oops, the officials blew the whistle so the Vikings get the ball, but can't advance it.

Then Percy Harvin returns a kick 104 yards to the 4 yard line...then stretches into the endzone with 2nd effort...only oops again, they say he's short..........no challenge

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 31 Dec 2011, 11:02 PM

5+ emails a day telling me my dik isn't long enough
Unread 03 Jan 2012, 11:28 AM

and sh!t like this:

********DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTIFICATION (IT IS ILLEGAL TO IGNORE A FEDERAL MESSAGE)********

Congratulations on your $1,000,000.00 lottery winning. we have verified it to be legitimate and give you the permission to go ahead and claim it.

This message has been validated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Security: If this email goes to any folder other than your inbox, move it to your inbox and you should be able to access the link.

Click Here Now For Instructions To Claim Your $1,000,000.00

********DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTIFICATION (IT IS ILLEGAL TO IGNORE A FEDERAL MESSAGE)********

Reason: Removed actual URL.
Unread 09 Jan 2012, 11:16 PM
JSAdmin

Anyone else getting the phone call saying something like 'The IRS has requested that we work with you to resolve your outstanding federal tax debt. Working with us may prevent further action by the government'

...giving you the impression you HAVE an outstanding federal tax debt you may not even be aware of

...then going on to say 'if you HAVE an outstanding federal tax debt, press 1 now'

pricks

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 19 Feb 2012, 08:22 AM

When governors decide to fly flags at half mast for drug addicts and no fanfare for real heros
Unread 21 Feb 2012, 02:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Going to a convenience store to purchase a soda only to end up behind an elderly man who has purchased 50+ hand selected lottery tickets...and, after waiting 10 minutes to get all those scanned in, stand and shoot the breeze a bit before paying...

I only dream of having so much money and time where doing something like the above sounds like a good idea...
Unread 19 Jun 2012, 09:38 AM

getting calls from professional fund-raisers and when I ask them how much of my contribution goes to administrative costs...and how much to the cause. They reply....10% goes to the cause....or no less than 15%............and they think that is great.
Unread 21 Jun 2012, 08:25 AM
JSAdmin

I'm surprised they'd even know the percentage and tell you.

At this point I could narrow what's p'in' me off down to 2 words

Job hunting

the latest, tho, is this- recently I had an interview for a job I was well overqualified for but could've dealt with...a plus being it's here in town as opposed to my current 20 mile each way commute to my 'temp' job.

As the interview ended the gal said 'I narrowed it down to 3 applicants. You're my first interview, one other I won't interview, the other I may not.' ...now that could be taken more than one way, but the obvious 'do the math' is...I've got a great shot at an offer.

So I tell my boss this, thinking maybe it'll finally make him SOGOP. For the umpteenth time he says 'I'll talk it over with my brother' (the owner).

The interview was on May 24th.....I've had no contact whatsoever from the gal who interviewed me and no conversation whatsoever with my boss about a permanent offer. So I begin my TENTH MONTH of work (1099 employee with no benefits) for a company that has been talking about wanting to make me a permanent offer since the 2nd month.

Unread 21 Jun 2012, 11:25 AM

With all due respect Orren, I think you could be measurably more aggressive with that 'gal'. I'd have been on the phone or at her door...no more than 10 days from the interview.
Unread 21 Jun 2012, 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
With all due respect Orren, I think you could be measurably more aggressive with that 'gal'. I'd have been on the phone or at her door...no more than 10 days from the interview.
Ditto.

Whenever I have actively been seeking employment, before an interview concludes I try to find out when they will be making their decision and if they will notify me regardless of whether or not they intend to hire me. Then I will certainly phone them back if they do not call me back at their determined time or within a week or so if they didn't know.
Unread 21 Jun 2012, 12:44 PM
JSAdmin

Oh, I agree....guess the part I did NOT mention was

....I didn't really WANT that job...once I knew the max wage she might offer and got the impression she might be the type to look over my shoulder a lot (and the physical layout of the office meant she could LITERALLY look over my shoulder since my monitor would be easily seen from her desk).

..my frustration is more due to the fact I thought I'd have leverage to get an offer where I'm at....and that hasn't happened

Unread 21 Jun 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I've learned that the places that dangle the carrot in front of your face will never, ever give you that carrot.

If you are unhappy and don't want to work there, you should only make sincere attempts to get a new job because in your current one your employer will never follow thru otherwise they would have already. They might try and "pony up" if you are indeed leaving after you put your notice in but at that point you have to walk because they have proven to be the type of people you can not trust. If you stay, they will just continue to jerk you around until you get fed up ... again.

SIDEBAR STORY: I worked at a place for 8 years where I worked my way up to a fairly decent mid-managerial position. Because I was "hired from within" my employer was more than happy to jerk me around for a couple of years... first, I was the "interim" director until the replacement was hired. Nominal pay raise, significantly less than any other previous directors. When I was hired, 6 months later, I was given a nominal raise and was told that I was under the 90 day 'preliminary' time that any new employee would serve to see if they could adjust to the position and was told that I would get my final raise to my salary at the end of that period. After that 90 period, so I basically worked 9 months for low wages, they called me in and gave a nominal raise which was far less than what any other director got. I did not question it, I bit my lip, said thank you and walked out of the office. It took me 1 year, but after 1 year I found a way better job and my employer knew they couldn't offer me anything to keep me because they had already had their chance. I would still be at that place today if they would have just paid me what they paid every other director before me... I knew they weren't treating me fair from the start and knew my only option was to quit. Was the job bad? Nope...loved it. But I chose to take a stand and I don't regret it one bit.

Unread 21 Jun 2012, 03:18 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
I've learned that the places that dangle the carrot in front of your face will never, ever give you that carrot.

If you are unhappy and don't want to work there, you should only make sincere attempts to get a new job because in your current one your employer will never follow thru otherwise they would have already. They might try and "pony up" if you are indeed leaving after you put your notice in but at that point you have to walk because they have proven to be the type of people you can not trust. If you stay, they will just continue to jerk you around until you get fed up ... again.
this is a quite different situation, actually....I was brought in as a temp, they've really wanted to make me a permanent offer, but (at least claim) they need sales to pick up to justify it......I've gotten to know the boss and his brother (the owner) well enough to not BELIEVE they're yankin' my chain....and, with the things they have me doing, would be thousands of dollars and months behind if they let me walk. I do things noone else in the company does or can do, plus now they've had me introduce myself to some 30 rep firms as support for the entire western half of the country.........one would hope you don't do that with someone you don't plan to keep

So in other words, my job search isn't because I'm unhappy with the one I have. It's great. Noone looking over my shoulder, my own office, laid back boss, etc etc.......the ONLY reason I continue job hunting is because this one remains in temp status.

The problem is...my current boss also knows I've not exactly been bombarded with offers...and until I am, he can get by cheaper with the status quo...and not a lot I can do about it because I need the paycheck. Two degrees, 25+ years of experience, and I'm either overqualified or too old (neither of which is said, both of which are often obvious).