Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 19 Mar 2014, 06:04 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default NFL Rule change proposals

Rule change proposals:

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...law-proposals/

Providing the link because otherwise, with some of these, you'd be looking at your calendar to see if it's actually April 1st

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 09:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

I like moving the 1 point extra point kick to the 25 yard line.
Lots of replay talk...I like the idea of coaches being able to challenge everything, but there needs to be some parameters of some sort or it could get out of control. I also like the idea of the referee being able to consult with the NFL Officiating department while reviewing a replay...but I think the NHL has the best replay structure in all of sports, all replays for all games are reviewed by a group in Toronto and they make the decision...the referee only relays that decision and has no part in the process...so it is done as neutral as possible.

I don't like the pass interference being able to be called within 1 yard of los. Raising the crossbar, I don't like...it would then start two "eras" of kickers...low bar versus high bar kickers.
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 10:34 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

I haven't studied them all .....but this one looks wrong. What would be the logic?

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

won't this one stop the bumping of receivers??...this could be a significant change. I'm not sure would be for the better.

I don't see where the crossbar is raised....which would split kicker eras. I do see the uprights are being raised 5 feet more....but that won't split things.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 10:40 AM
JSAdmin

centralized review process is definitely the way to go

I don't see it on this list, but there was also talk of allowing IR'd players to return in 6 weeks along with expanding practice squads...which would just allow coaches to 'hide' more players than they already do

expanding what a coach can challenge is a good idea

the problem I have with moving the XP kick back? ...especially that far?
placing the ball on the 25 makes it what, a 42 yd kick? How many kicks earn 3 points that are shorter? To me, if you're going to do that then every XP attempt is worth 2 points- your choice of kicking a 42 yder or a conventional 2 pt try. Otherwise, move it back to maybe just the 10 but remove some of the restrictions on defense.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 10:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beast View Post
I don't see where the crossbar is raised....which would split kicker eras. I do see the uprights are being raised 5 feet more....but that won't split things.
Yes, I misread...

There has been talk of raising the crossbar as well...that's why I may have read that into that change...
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 12:13 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
the problem I have with moving the XP kick back? ...especially that far?
placing the ball on the 25 makes it what, a 42 yd kick? How many kicks earn 3 points that are shorter? To me, if you're going to do that then every XP attempt is worth 2 points- your choice of kicking a 42 yder or a conventional 2 pt try. Otherwise, move it back to maybe just the 10 but remove some of the restrictions on defense.
well....i can see the logic in that one.
For many years the x pt has been.....boring! (a channel turner, so to speak)
we've also seen more two point converts attempted lately.
This change will see that trend go way up!
Missed extra point is a real thing now and not a fluke.
I like the two point convert....should see a lot more of it now.
You can't compare converts to field goals because one is the scoring and the other is a bonus to scoring...so it shouldn't be viewed in the same perspective, imo.

of course, I'd like to see more drop-kicks
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 20 Mar 2014, 01:39 PM
JSAdmin

the idea of moving kickoffs up again is just a headshaker..........yes, let's take one of the most exciting plays of the game completely away

my comment about the longer XP is more about the fact that if XP attempts were made from the 25, a good number of FGs yielding 3 pts would be shorter kicks than XPs yielding 1

how do they go from years of rule changes to open up offenses to thinking about rule changes that hinder them?

Unread 20 Mar 2014, 03:42 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
my comment about the longer XP is more about the fact that if XP attempts were made from the 25, a good number of FGs yielding 3 pts would be shorter kicks than XPs yielding 1
yes, of course....but your still missing that a field goal that short is a 'consolation' prize worth three points and a longer xp is only icing on already eaten cake.

so imo they are two completely different plays.

kick off should go back to being at the 20 (25?). whats the point otherwise?

man, with all these rule changes....you would think something is broken.
maybe they think if it isn't broken....fix it anyways! lol
Unread 20 Mar 2014, 07:01 PM
JSAdmin

right, I realize on a short FG you're getting 3 because you couldn't get 6...and the 7th is 'automatic' as things stand

IMO they should also consider 4 points for FGs over 50, but they won't now because in the last few years suddenly a LOT of kickers can do that a high percentage of the time.....but again, part of that is because they've put more restrictions on what a defense can do to try and block a kick

stopping the clock on a sack....I wasn't even aware they did nor do I understand why they should