Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 03 Jun 2014, 12:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default Colorado Weed Sales - $1.9 Million towards schools

Big surprise...

In Colorado, crime is down, unemployment dropping and the Colorado state government is on pace to make $30 million in tax revenue from legal marijuana sales.

Story here.
Unread 03 Jun 2014, 02:25 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

as someone who has tried a puff or two....

It appears there is no downside to what they have done there.
DWI offenders might be one but remains to be seen.

Quote:
Not counting medicinal weed sales, Colorado sold nearly $19 million in their recreational weed market in the month of March, and $1.9 million of that goes straight into government coffers and towards building schools. At this pace, according to PolicyMic, Colorado will make $30 million this year in pot taxes alone.
very nice!....and a grossly conservative estimate.

**curious though....where does the other 90% go??
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 03 Jun 2014, 07:21 PM

terrific....a state full of stoneheads.......too early to really tell if it's a good or bad thing. I will say this...there have been sporadic stories of children being influenced....either by getting their hands on their parents or grandparents stash or others in schools eating pot laced "treats". Not good.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no

Unread 04 Jun 2014, 11:45 PM
GM

So making something that let us be honest a lot of people do that was illegal before legal in some states of course the crime rate will go down in those states.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 05 Jun 2014, 09:44 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

yes...the crime rate...lol.

kind of a ridiculous stat for this application.
the consequences remain to be seen....but the cash coming in may displace any consequence.

hey rich!!...you bring up a good point. I would say the liquor cabinet has been around for years...as have gun cabinets. Neither work very well without a lock on them.

the "recreational" use of this drug seems to be overshadowing the medicinal value. After all, if it weren't for the positive affects on ill patients....I'm not so sure it would have been legalized!
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 05 Jun 2014, 02:52 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)

We legalized marijuana use in Washington as well but are a bit behind Colorado in implementing the sales side of things. So we aren't seeing the tax revenues just yet. But the leaders in Olympia are licking their chops in anticipation.

Recreational marijuana sales would never have had a chance if the medical marijuana policies had been enforced. Marijuana does have positive benefits for some legitimate medical conditions; but, let's face it, many, if not most, medical marijuana "patients" were simply recreational users that found a way around the law. They found a sympathetic doctor and got a free pass to use, buy and grow their medicine with little or no regulation. What other prescribed medicine, regulated by the FDA, allowed patients to produce it themselves?

The wide acceptance of nearly unregulated use of a prescribed "medicine" is what led to the legalization of recreational use. That and the taxes the government is now able to levy. In Washington, recreational marijuana will be taxes at 25% at each level of production and sales. 25% from the grower to the processor; 25% to the retailer and 25% to the buyer/user. That is a lot of taxes and was something the state government just couldn't resist.

I voted against it. I really don't think our children and young adults need another temptation. Just because everybody else is running off the cliff, doesn't make it wise to put on a lemming suit and join them. But if we were going to legalize it, I wanted the money to stay in Washington State. All legal marijuana should be grown and processed within state lines. That would keep the feds out of the issue, keep the jobs and revenues in the state and prevent continued drug traffic across our national borders. There is no assurance that is what will happen, particularly as more and more states go down this path.

The other problem is that legalized recreational use muddies the water on enforcement of untaxed and still-illegal black-market sales. You have to know that current illegal users are not going to be happy to pay the significantly higher price for taxed, legal marijuana.
Unread 05 Jun 2014, 10:27 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Canada has something going on as well...

way more of a cluster**** but with ironing can work the way it should.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/medica...sion-1.2588779

on the other hand....I gonna need a bigger wallet to carry all these licenses around Lets see....drive....gun....fish....
Unread 06 Jun 2014, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
The other problem is that legalized recreational use muddies the water on enforcement of untaxed and still-illegal black-market sales. You have to know that current illegal users are not going to be happy to pay the significantly higher price for taxed, legal marijuana.
Legal marijuana is not significantly higher priced...in fact even with all the taxes, it is still relatively cheap than it's illegal counterpart.

I know where I am located, legally purchased marijuana from Colorado is making it's way to my region and the price hasn't increased at the street level. So, it just goes to show that a person is likely traveling to Colorado, legally purchasing the marijuana and driving it to this area and selling it at the same price it has always been sold at...and you would then assume, this is all being done for a profit.

[EDIT/ADDED:

Just looking at the weed prices quoted online, marijuana is 25-50% cheaper in Colorado than marijuana sold on the street in my region...so making a "run" to Colorado and back is a very profitable option for those that choose to do so.]

Unread 08 Jun 2014, 07:51 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Agree with it or not, and obviously there are very good reasons on both sides, there can be very strong positives to legalization. Not only do you create a very strong new tax revenue source, but another aspect people do NOT talk about as much is....you take a noticeable chunk of law enforcement cost OFF the ledger as well- if it's no longer illegal, officers don't have to police it nearly as much.

Just had this discussion a week or two ago a couple beers or so into a Friday night. When people my age were in college, the strength of most marijuana available was significantly LESS than most of what is available now. What is 'normal' now is what carried a premium price then...IF it was available.

To an extent, the strengths have some comparison to alcohol in that beer<mixed drinks<shots<alcohol only shots ...an increasingly higher level of alcohol from one to the next. One of the problems I see with today's weed market is...EVERYthing available is in the high strength level.

Policing it, with some states legal and some not, now takes on new wrinkles.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?