View Poll Results: A subreddit for Jockstocks would be
Fine, I already have a Reddit account 3 37.50%
Fine, I am willing to create a Reddit account 5 62.50%
Not a fan, regardless of whether I have a Reddit account 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07 Sep 2021, 06:28 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default What if Reddit...WAS our forums?

OK, as you know these forums, along with the whole site really, are generally functional but still in dire need of updating. I can no longer do some things on these forums, others are a PIA, and, as we all know, sometimes the darn things don't even load (oh, you thought you were the only one seeing Data Error pages?)

So, Nick and I have talked about new forums...and how to go about adding them. As those of you who saw my post on Facebook awhile back know, one issue with a lot of forum software (certainly vbulletin like we've had since day 1) is....their coding assumes logging into the forums is 'home'. Years ago Nick hacked an autologin so that logging into the site also logged you into these forums....which has always been a little problematic and these days is why you can sometimes click a link to another page on the site from here and have to do it twice to actually go there.

But, the reality is, Nick's time has been far too limited between a busy job, 3 kids, coaching sports....well, some of you know better than I how tight time can get with young kids.

Still, we've talked about creating forums completely separate from the site- meaning a separate log in on a separate domain.

That may still happen, but in the meantime, there's this- I could create a subreddit on Reddit in less time than it took for me to type this post.

So how many of you have a reddit account? And how many of you that don't would be OK with creating one in order to have a forum that actually loads without frustration?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 07 Sep 2021, 09:50 PM
All Pro

I don't have a Reddit account, but I would probably be willing to create one if it is the Jock$tocks forum of choice.

FWIW, I've been wanting to update my forum signature with recent competition wins for several years now. That will be a monkey off of my back

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 07:25 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott View Post
I don't have a Reddit account, but I would probably be willing to create one if it is the Jock$tocks forum of choice.

FWIW, I've been wanting to update my forum signature with recent competition wins for several years now. That will be a monkey off of my back
It's less our choice than it is a stop gap. It would be weird, it would take some getting used to...and I'm already used to Reddit. Weird, too, is these forums have been 'better' lately.

You sure you can't edit your signature? What happens if you click User CP in the upper left, then Edit signature? When you asked before if I could for you, all I knew was that my admin access on these forums is severely limited.

It's weird, it seems like some functions I just got used to not having here have somehow improved. i.e. I just edited my signature. If you do and you just see a couple little squares where you're expecting buttons? Save is the one on the left- it's still a button, just no text loading on it.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 11:24 AM

I get far less problems getting here lately.

Whatever you decide I'm good with.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 08 Sep 2021, 07:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
It's less our choice than it is a stop gap. It would be weird, it would take some getting used to...and I'm already used to Reddit. Weird, too, is these forums have been 'better' lately.

You sure you can't edit your signature? What happens if you click User CP in the upper left, then Edit signature? When you asked before if I could for you, all I knew was that my admin access on these forums is severely limited.

It's weird, it seems like some functions I just got used to not having here have somehow improved. i.e. I just edited my signature. If you do and you just see a couple little squares where you're expecting buttons? Save is the one on the left- it's still a button, just no text loading on it.
It lets me go in to the User CP and "edit signature", but after I make changes there is no way to save them. So once I reload, they are gone.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 10:14 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProneEisenrott View Post
It lets me go in to the User CP and "edit signature", but after I make changes there is no way to save them. So once I reload, they are gone.
as I mentioned, there should at least be a couple little squares (literally just thin lined squares) where buttons should be at the bottom (i.e. like the submit and preview buttons when you're posting down below the post icons). The buttons aren't loading, but the left square is save the right is preview.

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 10:17 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
I get far less problems getting here lately.

Whatever you decide I'm good with.
yeah, so am I...which is weird since we've done nothing
....so maybe I'm not in a rush, at least to shut these down (which I wasn't going to immediately do anyway)

there's still things I can't do...like unstick threads and I think I can only sticky one if I'm the one that started it

Messenger, on the other hand, is still a royal PIA

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 10:45 PM
JSAdmin

and then as I say it, somehow I'm able to stick and unstick threads.....dunno what's going on, but I like it

Unread 08 Sep 2021, 11:23 PM
All Pro

Ah, that worked, Orren. All these months and I never thought to click the little blank rectangle on the left. Go figure.