Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 01 Oct 2007, 12:45 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Default MLB Post-season awards

Who do you guys think will get them?

No arguing, no attitude, no griping in this thread please ... lets just discuss the past baseball season and who deserves the awards?

NL
Comeback player - Jake Peavy (compare stats with last years!)
Manager - Sweet Lou Pinella (but Ned Yost did one heck of a job in Milwaukee!)
Rookie (Hitter) - Ryan Braun or Hunter Pence (Braun should edge it out)
Rookie (Pitcher) - Tim Lincecum (although where would the Cubs be without Carlos Marmol???)
Cy Young - Jake Peavy
MVP - Prince Fielder

AL
Comeback player - Magglio Ordonez
Manager - Eric Wedge
Rookie (hitter) - Dustin Pedroia
Rookie (pitcher) - Brian Bannister
Cy Young - Josh Beckett (Erik Bedard lost the award with his injury)
MVP - Alex Rodriguez (is there any other candidate?)

How about some "unofficial" catergories?

Player that FINALLY arrived (not just by getting called up but by actually doing something)? BJ Upton and Josh Hamilton

Biggest overachiever? Carlos Pena and Fausto Carmona

Biggest underachiever? Bill Hall and Anthony Reyes
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 01:12 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

not sure how they define comeback players....but would Peavy be eligible? .......not that I can think of someone deserving of it in the NL.....I'd agree re Magglio....

Even tho I'm no Lou fan, I'd agree with Piniella....tho noone seems to be talking about Hurdle of the Rockies.....

I'd say Braun re NL rookies....but, again noone seems to pay attention to the Rockies....Tulowitski deserves consideration

Lincecum hands down

Cy- Peavy....his competition faded

MVP- did I mention the Rockies? Matt Holliday would get my vote here

I'd agree all the way down the line on your AL choices...tho you know Sabathia will get strong Cy consideration and (I've always disagreed they should even be considered) Matsuzaka for ROY will get too many votes.

Not so much the case this year, but IMBO closers shouldn't be eligible for Cy voting....instead they should elevate the Rolaids award to actually mean something.

ya think Pena and Carmona overachieved? lol
Pena was kicked to the curb by the Tigers and had to persuade even the DRays that he could still play. Carmona....only guy in recent history to implode and lose twice in one day, right?
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 01:21 PM
GM

Anthony Reyes did not get a win until very late July.

I agree with this one. I thought Reyes would be comparable to Wainwright but that was just not the case this season.

It will be interesting to see if Reyes ever gets his act together to be even a decent major league pitcher.

On the other hand his stuff is to good for minor league hitters usually and he would just waste away at Memphis.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 01:23 PM
GM

Are you going to change your mind if the Rockies do not win latter on tonight?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 05:06 PM
Antagonist.

Comeback player in the AL has to be Carlos Pena.

Biggest under achiever in the AL J.D. Drew.
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 06:01 PM

NL
Comeback player - Jake Peavy (compare stats with last years!)not sure if he really qualifies
Manager - Sweet Lou Pinella (but Ned Yost did one heck of a job in Milwaukee!)agree
Rookie (Hitter) - Ryan Braun or Hunter Pence (Braun should edge it out)TULTR has to get consideration here
Rookie (Pitcher) - Tim Lincecum (although where would the Cubs be without Carlos Marmol???)agree
Cy Young - Jake Peavyagree
MVP - Prince FielderMatt Holiday

AL
Comeback player - Magglio Ordonezagree
Manager - Eric WedgeIMO no contest
Rookie (hitter) - Dustin Pedroiaagree
Rookie (pitcher) - Brian Bannister
Cy Young - Josh Beckett (Erik Bedard lost the award with his injury)agree
MVP - Alex Rodriguez (is there any other candidate?)no comment needed
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 06:40 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadduff View Post
Comeback player in the AL has to be Carlos Pena.

Biggest under achiever in the AL J.D. Drew.
Was forgetting all about him when agreeing with Magglio as Comeback Player......

46 homers 121 rbi .282 average
Compared to 1 homer and 3 rbi last year.....and 45 homers 126 rbi COMBINED in the 2 years before....arguably his most productive 2 years before this year
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 07:11 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

My vote for Comeback Player of the Year goes to Josh Hamilton.... From drugs to alcoholism and everything in between and not seeing a pitch for nearly 4 years to nearly playing everyday in the MLB.... Hands down its Josh Hamilton.

Manager - Lou Pinella
Rookie (Hitter) - Ryan Braun... Wow.. are you should he really is a rookie?
Rookie (Pitcher) - Tim Lincecum, he is about the only rookie ESPN talked about pitching wise...
Cy Young - Jake Peavy
NL MVP - Peavy (but I reallly like Byrnes, Eric)

AL
Comeback player - Ordonez/Pena
Manager - Joe Torre - Look what the guy did... He didn't have pitching all year... Throwing slop out on the mound night after night yet they nearly win the AL East... I hate the Yankees but Joe did one HELL of a job... end of story.
Rookie (hitter) - Dustin Pedroia
Rookie (pitcher) - Dice-K - Sorry but who were you talking about?
Cy Young - Bedard/CC/Becket/Dice-K/Lackey
MVP - Carlos Pena - SIKE! A-Rod

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 01 Oct 2007, 11:43 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Who was I talking about with Brian Bannister? Are you serious? Bannister was in the trade that sent Burgioux or whatever his name is to NYM from KC. KC got a guy in Bannister that went 12-9 and a 3.87 ERA. Yes, a sub-4 ERA from a KC starter. Opponents hit a hair under .250 off the guy with a WHIP right at 1.2. He lost 2 of his last 4 starts but before that he had a 4 game win streak and was arguably one of the best AL pitchers in the month of August.
Unread 02 Oct 2007, 02:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Drats! I was going to suggest Dmitri Young the other day, but didn't have an opinion on any other awards, so I didn't bother. He probably didn't get much attention outside of the DC market, which is why he didn't show up in this thread.
Unread 02 Oct 2007, 07:32 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

I don't agree with the rest of the world on Lou Pinella. Sure the Cubs were worst to first, but it's not like Lou coached the same team as last year. Alfonzo, Lilly & DeRosa were HUGE upgrades, arguably the three keys to the team's "success". Moreover, the Cubs barely won in a crappy division. Just look at the Cub's payroll, and that tells you something about the caliber of talent they have (or should have). We could probably have done that!

The guy nobody talks about is Bob Melvin in Arizona, who doesn't have the same payroll or star quality players. The fact that they were among the bottom in runs scored but still won speaks volumes about the manager, IMO. AND, the D-Backs had the best record in the NL, in a division that had 3 teams fighting to the last day +1 for playoff spot!!

Also, Jimmy Rollins deserves NL MVP. Hands down! He was stellar down the stretch together with those awesome numbers. Fielder? Please. The guy didn't even have an RBI and only 1 hit in the three games leading to when the Brew Crew got bounced from the playoff picture.

Unread 02 Oct 2007, 07:53 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder gulch View Post
Also, Jimmy Rollins deserves NL MVP. Hands down! He was stellar down the stretch together with those awesome numbers. Fielder? Please. The guy didn't even have an RBI and only 1 hit in the three games leading to when the Brew Crew got bounced from the playoff picture.

The MVP award is a YEARLY award not an award for who was the best player in the final week of the season. The Phils would be a similiar team without Rollins on the squad. The Brewers would be BAD without the 50 HRs that Cecil's little boy gave them. I am not saying that Rollins doesn't deserve some consideration, but to me, he is a distant 3rd or 4th. Fielder and Holliday are 1-2. Eric Byrnes should be up there as well, battling with Rollins and Howard for the 3/4/5 slots.
Unread 02 Oct 2007, 07:59 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Still, nobody is talkin' about Joe Torre for AL Manager of the year...

Anyone??? I'm thinkin he did one hell of a job...

Rich - You follow the Yanks... Was this the best you've seen Torre manage?

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 02 Oct 2007, 08:23 PM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho cinco View Post
Still, nobody is talkin' about Joe Torre for AL Manager of the year...

Anyone??? I'm thinkin he did one hell of a job...

Rich - You follow the Yanks... Was this the best you've seen Torre manage?
I think the question that needs to be asked is what were the expectations for the Yankees and did they meet or exceed those expectations. I think it would be very hard for the Red Sox or Yankees manager to win MOY with the high payroll and expectations. I'm not saying Torre didn't do a good job because he did for most of the season, but how did he do in April?
Unread 02 Oct 2007, 11:59 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingoff View Post
The MVP award is a YEARLY award not an award for who was the best player in the final week of the season. The Phils would be a similiar team without Rollins on the squad. The Brewers would be BAD without the 50 HRs that Cecil's little boy gave them. I am not saying that Rollins doesn't deserve some consideration, but to me, he is a distant 3rd or 4th. Fielder and Holliday are 1-2. Eric Byrnes should be up there as well, battling with Rollins and Howard for the 3/4/5 slots.
O.K. Have you seen Rollins YEARLY numbers?

He only started all 162 games, had 212 hits, 30 HR, 94 RBI, 41 SB, and 139 runs scored. He had 88 extra base hits (only A-Rod had more as a shorstop, in 1996). He became only the fourth player in MLB history to have 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 HR and 20 SB in the same season. He had more total bases than . . . Prince Fielder. It's not like he did all that in the last couple weeks.

The point of mentioning his production down the stretch is we are talking about most "valuable". IMO a player who comes through in the clutch merits consideration as valuable.

50 HRs don't always mean that much. Ask Cub fans re Sammy. If you are going to average it out based on HRs, then Braun is ahead of Fielder (and the Brewers went in the tank after Braun came up).

And I don't live in Philly.