Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > The REAL Financial World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The REAL Financial World A place to discuss investments you've made or are considering
....remembering these ARE just discussions.

Unread 18 Mar 2013, 01:46 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
and they are intimidating conservatives with suspensions. Whatever happened to free speech?
Its not just conservatives. This was happening to people who supported gun regulations after the Newtown incident

And facebook is a corporation. According to the radical activist judicial wing of the Supreme Court, they are a person with all the free speech rights in the world and ours has to be subjected to their whims

Just quit facebook if you dont like it. In fact I know of a person who did. He hadnt had any luck getting a new job, getting interviews but nothing after that. A week after he deleted his facebook he got 2 job offers. His theory was that companies could no longer dig through whatever data he had about himself in there to use against him.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 18 Mar 2013, 06:56 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

people do misinterpret what freedom of speech actually is....if you come to a site I own it's no different than you coming to a physical store location I own- I have the right to serve you and set my own code of ethics..your option isn't to tell me I don't have the right, your option is to accept it or don't do business with me........it's no different than the comment that freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a crowded theater. Now, I'm a business moron if I set rules that cause a lot of people to opt to NOT do business with me...but it's still my right.

Facebook veered way off the course they originally set themselves on years ago when they started realizing how much information about their users was being just handed to them....and they started taking tens, hundreds of millions from 'investors' who were interested only in gaining access to that information. I put 'quotes' around investors because...most of that money was coming from companies who didn't care one aiota about Facebook's company health, they only wanted to exploit the available information for marketing purposes.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 19 Mar 2013, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
...and they started taking tens, hundreds of millions from 'investors' who were interested only in gaining access to that information. I put 'quotes' around investors because...most of that money was coming from companies who didn't care one aiota about Facebook's company health, they only wanted to exploit the available information for marketing purposes.
And this is really where I think Facebook is at right now...

It is the one piece of technology that women and teens in America gravitated towards in mass. For this demographic, privacy and security are not a high priority and that is why Facebook has become what it has...

The number of third party sites that data mine from Facebook is incredible. Signing up to Facebook and even revealing some of the smallest details about your past opens up a whole window of opportunity for those looking to profit off of you...
Unread 19 Mar 2013, 07:45 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
And this is really where I think Facebook is at right now...

It is the one piece of technology that women and teens in America gravitated towards in mass. For this demographic, privacy and security are not a high priority and that is why Facebook has become what it has...

The number of third party sites that data mine from Facebook is incredible. Signing up to Facebook and even revealing some of the smallest details about your past opens up a whole window of opportunity for those looking to profit off of you...
Where you mentioned teens reminded me of something I read recently:

http://business.time.com/2013/03/08/...eens-think-so/

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 09:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
Where you mentioned teens reminded me of something I read recently:

http://business.time.com/2013/03/08/...eens-think-so/
Facebook has, imo, had a surprisingly long run...but like almost every internet social related technology, people get tired/bored/upset with that platform and seek a "newer" and "cooler" place....even moreso with the younger demo. Now that Facebook is densely populated, and I'm guessing the primary user is now an adult female, it is no longer "cool".

I think Facebook jumped the shark about 6 months before they went public and issued their stock...and that was clearly a brilliant move at the time...to esssentially "cash in" while the getting is good and get some fools to invest to keep you afloat so the decline is gradual.
Unread 20 Mar 2013, 12:30 PM

MOST adult females are turning to (sp?) Pintrest or something like that ....at least that's what my wife tells me.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no

Unread 21 Mar 2013, 03:54 PM
JSAdmin

so, a new flavor of the day is needed, eh?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 03 Apr 2013, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

And here is the beginning of the end...

Is Facebook Losing It's Edge?

And this, I think, is a perfect example of what I was saying above...

Quote:
“When I first got Facebook I literally thought it was the coolest thing to have. If you had a Facebook you kind of fit in better, because other people had one,” says Rachel Fernandez, 18, who first signed on to the site four or five years ago.

And now? “Facebook got kind of boring,” she says.
Unread 06 Apr 2013, 12:24 PM
JSAdmin

At this point there are more people going to Facebook simply for the games and apps...most of which are not Facebook's in the first place.

People smarter than me know this, but if Facebook is willing to somewhat reinvent themselves (look at who they really are now compared to who they thought they were intending to become) they can still remain giants. But yeah, for what most of us THINK they think they are, that edge has been slipping for a couple years.

Unread 06 Apr 2013, 06:36 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 06 Apr 2013, 06:37 PM

any knucklehead (wish I was one) that bought on August 31 is doing quite nicely.....
Unread 07 Apr 2013, 03:50 PM
JSAdmin

a company's stock performance often has little to do with their actual health as a company.....it's like our market here...a guy otherwise underperforming for the season has a good couple days..his overall stock gains infer his entire season has been good when it hasn't

Unread 06 Aug 2013, 02:37 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Prev Close: 39.19
Open: 39.10
Bid: 38.39 x 4400
Ask: 38.40 x 1200
1y Target Est: 37.30
Beta: 0.880
Next Earnings Date: 21-Oct-13FB Earnings announcement
Day's Range: 37.94 - 39.25
52wk Range: 17.55 - 39.32
Volume: 54,044,070
Avg Vol (3m): 50,626,000

Jul 24, 2013 26.32 26.53 26.05 26.51 80,744,900 26.51

Jul 25, 2013 33.54 34.88 32.75 34.36 365,457,900 34.36

I dunno what happened after hours the 24th to have it open 7 bucks higher but it is still on the rise.

?
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 06 Aug 2013, 05:16 PM

https://newsroom.fb.com/
Unread 06 Aug 2013, 07:56 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

thanks rich!

I wonder whose buying?
seems to me is just like the beginning...where most felt it overvalued anyways!
something is afoot once again, methinks..