Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 06 Apr 2011, 12:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
You are right, I didn't quote my source. My source is the Wall Street Journal. If you'd like a photo of the paper, I can send it to you.

Where are your 'facts' coming from?

Nick
I have no problems with your facts and/or figures...and not sure if you understand my point...

My point is, as you admit in your post, is that the Republicans are over spending and pushing this country closer to economic peril, just as the Democrats are...I'm not here to split hairs over which president or budget spent more of our GDP while in office, that's neither here nor there to me...but you can go to the CBO web site here: http://www.cbo.gov/publications/bysubject.cfm?cat=1 and do all the fact checking you would like if you want to make sure everyone's numbers are accurate...

It sickens me that no one in Washington would even consider submitting a balanced budget and instead, we have both parties issuing talking points as to why their budget proposal is more in line with what the American people want and the other's is so horribly bad for America...when the fact is, is that neither budget proposal from either party is satisfactory in my opinion.

And don't start with the "what would YOU cut?" because we will all just talk in circles as to why this nor that can be cut ... the fact is, that hard decisions need to be made at some point and since no one in Washington has had the balls to do anything for essentially the past 30 years, it is...as I think I appropriately titled this thread...Business as usual...

Unread 06 Apr 2011, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Isn't the point of compromise to offer something you still don't want, but that is easier to swallow than what the other person is offering?

Nick
Unread 08 Apr 2011, 09:39 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

What the American people want hasn't really been a question in DC for years.....decisions aren't based on that, for the most part, because politicians know and cater more to what corps and special interests want

I don't get even the idea of a shutdown....it likely ends up costing more to shut things down and start them back up than to just continue going, and making more permanent decisions bit by bit....w/o even getting into the idea of shutting military forces down, even those that are currently deployed....that has disaster written all over it..

Then there's situations like my brother- sent to Denver last weekend to spend the week training on some new software....all scheduled and funds for airfare, hotel, etc OKd a month ago. Yesterday it was inferred that he may only get reimbursed for costs incurred before midnight tonight, that his airfare, hotel, per diem from midnight on wouldn't be paid/reimbursed.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 16 Apr 2011, 08:01 PM
JS Mod

"what would YOU cut?"

That's easy

1) Get rid of the IRS and implement a fair tax. The IRS wastes so much money it's not even funny. We had an auditor come to our office for 3 full days to audit a clients return. After 3 days she took home $75 to the IRS, and she wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't seen an error on a return for the year after the one in question. I amended the return and gave it to her. Her findings were that she would accept the amended and they owed $75. The funny part is that my amended return showed them owing $91. They're IDIOTS! and we pay their salaries.

2) Get rid of the Federal Reserve and go back on the gold standard. The Federal Reserve is not a Federal Agency. It is a group of Big Banksters who print money out of thin air, lend it to us and charge us interest. Then they print more money, in our name, and give it to the "Too Big to Fail" Banks. Does anyone else see how absurd this is? I say we start issuing our own currency as the Constitution dictates and default on the Federal Reserve Debt. Then we could balance the budget.

3) Let's look at entitlement programs. I don't include Social Security in this as some do, because we've been paying into it for years in good faith that it would be there as promised when we retire. No cuts should be made here but, let's look at the disability benefits paid out. There are a large number of disability recipients that don't really deserve it. Newborn babies can get disability if they're born with something that will prevent them for ever getting a job. But a newborn can't get a job anyway so why pay disability from birth, or any age where they couldn't work whether disabled or not. I can agree with the parents getting medical coverage for the child but, certainly not a monthly check. There are also a lot of adults receiving disability for drug and alcohol related problems. That's riduculous. I know a lot of alcohol & drug users that go to work every day and pay for their habits. Yet so many others choose to let the governments pay for their habits. As for those who really are disabled, they deserve the help.

4) Restore our Constitutional Rights and get rid of Homeland Security.

5) Legalize Hemp farming. Hemp is easy to grow, has many industrial uses, and is only illegal because it's related to the marijuana plant, though it contains no THC and will not get you high

6) There is one person in Congress who believes in all of the above, plus so much more. His name is Ron Paul. IMHO he is the only viable Presidential Candidate we have. Please check him out and see for yourself.

"There exists in this country a plot to enslave every man woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot."
- President John F. Kennedy - 7 days before he was assassinated

"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford -- Founder of Ford Motor Company

http://rtr.org/signup?ref=3800

Unread 16 Apr 2011, 10:42 PM

Amen-amen-amen
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 09:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstewball View Post
6) There is one person in Congress who believes in all of the above, plus so much more. His name is Ron Paul. IMHO he is the only viable Presidential Candidate we have. Please check him out and see for yourself.
A Libertarian dressed in Republican's clothing...

He'll never get elected because the mainstream media doesn't like him and the GOP has blackballed him.

His 'followers' are vocal and can mobilize to win straw polls and get Paul some ink, but in the end, he never has enough support within the party to make much of an impact.

Unread 20 Apr 2011, 06:29 PM
JS Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
A Libertarian dressed in Republican's clothing...

He'll never get elected because the mainstream media doesn't like him and the GOP has blackballed him.

When you say "He'll never get elected because the mainstream media doesn't like him and the GOP has blackballed him", you are giving into the mainstream media and the GOP and condoning business as usual. Why not fight back, and if you like him, vote for him, whether you think he can win or not. If you vote for hime he can win.

His 'followers' are vocal and can mobilize to win straw polls and get Paul some ink, but in the end, he never has enough support within the party to make much of an impact.
His "followers"? You make it sound as though he's a cult leader. What he is is a man with ideas to help our economy. And his ideas are sound.

"There exists in this country a plot to enslave every man woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot."
- President John F. Kennedy - 7 days before he was assassinated

"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford -- Founder of Ford Motor Company

http://rtr.org/signup?ref=3800
Unread 20 Apr 2011, 09:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstewball View Post
His "followers"? You make it sound as though he's a cult leader. What he is is a man with ideas to help our economy. And his ideas are sound.
At times I would say his 'supporters' make him appear as if he is a cult leader...

And don't get me wrong, I am a Libertarian and would support Paul but I also supported Paul when he was a registered Libertarian and really didn't like his move to 'sell out' and join the GOP ... but I think his core values are still intact so would likely vote for him if he actually got the GOP nod ... which would be the first time I voted for either of the 2 major party candidates since Bush Sr..

But the facts are what they are ... the media doesn't like him and the GOP blackballed him... so unless someone gives him a billion dollars he has no chance...