Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 20 May 2007, 10:27 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default LMAO how rediculous is this

People arguing about a creation museum?

I mean I doubt anyone with any kind of education would mistake the exhibits in this museum with real science or truth.

As for threatening lawsuits, on what basis? It's private property and funded by private donations, i'm not seeing a legal issue. If folks are naive enough to believe it's scientifically valid or that there's any truth in it so be it.

The funny thing is, the folks upset about it should just step back. It won't be long before the religious right justifiably steps up and proves how biblically incorrect the whole concept is. No one (at least no one with an ounce of sense) believes the earth is only a few thousand years old or that man and dinosaurs were neighbors. And no one (again with an ounce of sense) is going to endorse such a travesty that belittles both the scientific theory and the faith based explanation of the origin of man.

I think sometimes folks need to get a hobby instead of going out of their way to lend credence to such ludicrous garbage.

I do think it's a smart idea to focus on parochial schools and homeschooled kids. Clearly no self-respecting public institution would have their students take in such a rediculous example of pure fantasy.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 21 May 2007, 08:28 AM
GM

They should be able to have their museum but I should be able to criticize the museum also right? I have a couple of problems with this museum.

What is one of the main purposes of any museum? It is to teach people. So what is the real purpose of this museum in the first place to give out information that they know is wrong? Now I know some museums can give out information that is wrong but they do try to correct the problem when they find out the new information. Museums are learning new things about the things in their museum all the time. I have one other problem with this museum. I am sure there will be at least some people that go to this museum and think that everything in the museum is correct. When a person goes to a museum they usually go into the museum thinking that the information that they are seeing is correct. As I said before this is not the case with this museum.

On a lighter note maybe this museum should have a the world is flat exhibition in the future if it does not have one already.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 21 May 2007, 11:32 AM
GM

lmao at the world is flat comment. you should write them with that suggestion i'm sure they'd be happy to include it. while your at it how about suggesting that every popular geocentric theory of the solar system.

and perhaps they should consider buying a copy or two of the Malleus Maleficarum

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 21 May 2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
People arguing about a creation museum?

I mean I doubt anyone with any kind of education would mistake the exhibits in this museum with real science or truth.

As for threatening lawsuits, on what basis? It's private property and funded by private donations, i'm not seeing a legal issue. If folks are naive enough to believe it's scientifically valid or that there's any truth in it so be it.

The funny thing is, the folks upset about it should just step back. It won't be long before the religious right justifiably steps up and proves how biblically incorrect the whole concept is. No one (at least no one with an ounce of sense) believes the earth is only a few thousand years old or that man and dinosaurs were neighbors. And no one (again with an ounce of sense) is going to endorse such a travesty that belittles both the scientific theory and the faith based explanation of the origin of man.

I think sometimes folks need to get a hobby instead of going out of their way to lend credence to such ludicrous garbage.

I do think it's a smart idea to focus on parochial schools and homeschooled kids. Clearly no self-respecting public institution would have their students take in such a rediculous example of pure fantasy.
I guess I have no sense .. here I was thinking that the world was only around six thousand years old .. stupid me.

Nick
Unread 21 May 2007, 01:21 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
I guess I have no sense .. here I was thinking that the world was only around six thousand years old .. stupid me.

Nick
do you seriously? if so what is that belief based on? i'm genuinely curious.

Unread 21 May 2007, 01:24 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
do you seriously? if so what is that belief based on? i'm genuinely curious.
I suppose the one based on a book that, in Hong Kong, is getting a similar reaction as when Janet Jackson had a wardrobe malfunction here.

Link

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 21 May 2007, 01:31 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
I suppose the one based on a book that, in Hong Kong, is getting a similar reaction as when Janet Jackson had a wardrobe malfunction here.

Link
actually though there is nothing at all in the bible that dates the earth either implicitly or explicitly and does (c.f. noah's ark) contradict the idea that man and dinosaurs existed simultaneously. likely because it wasn't a concern in the second and third centuries when the books were written.

i'm curious though as to know where this belief is based. given the overwhelming evidence regarding the age. i honestly didn't think anyone (outside of fundamental nuts who exist solely to scam the masses out of their wealth (e.g., falwell, roberts, robertson, baker, etc)) really believed that anymore. i was under the impression it went the way of geocentrism and cp's flat world example.

Unread 21 May 2007, 01:40 PM
Coach

Gotcha, I see what you're getting at. It was from the middle ages, Archbishop Usher to be exact, who came up with the 6000 year old Earth.

Link

I hate using wiki as a reference, but I just did a quick search on him.

Unread 21 May 2007, 04:37 PM
GM

ah Ussher thank you. I knew someone had done it in the middle ages but couldn't for the life of me remember who. thank you it was driving me nuts.

Unread 21 May 2007, 06:47 PM
GM

I would hope this museum would go with the theory that everything revolves around the earth; and soundly reject the idea of heliocentrism which is the idea that everything in our universe revolves around the sun. Heliocentrism just has no place at this museum.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 09 Jun 2007, 02:47 PM
Coach

Apparently this museum is funnier than we could imagine. I chuckled/laughed nearly the whole time reading this guy's snarky take on his trip there. I might have to go there myself since theres circumstantial evidence there the Flintstones actually existed.

Link

Unread 09 Jun 2007, 04:23 PM
GM

if it wasn't 450 miles from here i'd take a trip. if for no other reason than to ask a few questions. of course i'd likley get thrown out and barred from returning but i'd do it as it seems like it's good for a laugh or two.

Unread 09 Jun 2007, 04:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Let me ask a question of those of you who are much better versed on evolution. If we use carbon dating to explain the age of things, was there ever a time when ALL carbon was the same "age" (for lack of a better name)?

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 09 Jun 2007, 04:31 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
Let me ask a question of those of you who are much better versed on evolution. If we use carbon dating to explain the age of things, was there ever a time when ALL carbon was the same "age" (for lack of a better name)?
i would guess yes at the origin of the universe. but give that carbon dating is based on half-lives (the decay of the isotope) we will never get to a point where we can determine the accurate age of that time (at least using carbon dating). i can guarantee you though it's a lot longer than 6500 years.

although there are physicists that would tell you using mathematical equations they are narrowing in on the exact age of the universe. i'm about as ready to accept their mathematical equations as i am a big bang theory. neither have been able to convince me to date that they are the explanation.

Unread 12 Jun 2007, 01:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

If, as you say, at some time all carbon was the "same age" how can we account for the differing ages of samples now?

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright