Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 09:18 AM
GM

And here I thought the main reason the democrats won last years was all of those republican scandals.

Well I guess the democrats could say that Iraq is a monumental scandal.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 09:51 AM
GM

I would think the democrats would have a bipartisan consensus on anything they want by now. The democrats had so much momentum going into the election where is it now?

The democrats are just going to have to roll up their sleeves and get the people to pressure members of congress in both bodies in order to override a presidential veto.

Now the focus was on the senate yesterday but how are the prospects of overriding a presidential veto in the house?

There seem to be some democrats in the house that our saying out by the end of this year and we will take nothing else except for some pork for our district.

I would think it would not take a quarter of a trillion dollars to get our troops out of Iraq.

It would probably take in the billions but not in the hundreds of billions.

Someone needs to tell CNN that 51 does not equal 67 in the senate.

Two republicans Chuck Hagel and Gordon Smith voted Yea.

The democrats need to work on Senator Lieberman though he vote Nay.

Senate Vote on Thursday March 26, 2007

I have got to ask what does Katrina Recovery have to do with the war in Iraq?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 10:03 AM
GM

Duh Katrina Recovery is part of the pork to get some democrats in the house to barely pass the measure.

More fun this was an appropriations bill in the house that only needs a majority to pass both bodies.

I was wondering how this was getting to the president without 60 votes in the senate and I now know why.

I do find it kind of interesting that this is in fact tied to Katrina relief. Maybe the democrats think the president would not dare veto appropriations for Katrina relief. But as I stated before this bill has other pork just oozing out of it.

Unread 27 Apr 2007, 12:30 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
You guys just keep telling yourselves that it was the war that resulted in the last election results. The Dems ran a major anti war guy against Lieberman in a very strong Dem state and pro-war Joe kicked his arse. The reason the Repubs lost the last election was because people were pissed at them was because when they finally got control of both bodies, they didn't do what we elected them to do. They spent like drunken Dems, couldn't stand up to the Dems and acted like they were still the minority party.
Well it wasnt the Democratic party per say, but the grassroots that ran it, not the "establishment". After the primary the Dem candidate ran a piss poor campaign (single issue campaigns tend to be that...look at Tancredo) and Joe-mentum picked up alot of GOP and indy votes (one of the few cases Ive seen where conservatives voted for a pro-choice guy...would make a great case study for some poli sci guy in college).

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 27 Apr 2007, 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
You guys just keep telling yourselves that it was the war that resulted in the last election results. The Dems ran a major anti war guy against Lieberman in a very strong Dem state and pro-war Joe kicked his arse. The reason the Repubs lost the last election was because people were pissed at them was because when they finally got control of both bodies, they didn't do what we elected them to do. They spent like drunken Dems, couldn't stand up to the Dems and acted like they were still the minority party.
So... the democrats won the majority in the house AND senate because the voters were upset with the republicans for acting like democrats? Amazing!