Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 11 May 2007, 02:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Ricky Williams tests positive

Again.

Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana
By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
May 11, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Former NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams tested positive again for marijuana last month, delaying his return to the league until at least September, a person familiar with the case said Friday.

Williams sought to end a one-year drug suspension last month when he asked to rejoin the Miami Dolphins. But following the positive drug test, clinicians in the program advised NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to delay reinstatement, the person close to the case said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the testing program.

The Dolphins and the NFL declined comment. Before Williams' latest setback, new Miami coach Cam Cameron repeatedly declined to say whether he would welcome Williams back.

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Williams' latest positive test first was reported by ESPN.com.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, was suspended in April 2006 by the NFL after violating the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He played last year in the Canadian Football League, then taught yoga in California.

Last month, Steinberg quoted Williams as saying his interest in eastern philosophy had overcome his desire for mind-altering substances.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and the 2002 NFL rushing championship with the Dolphins, but he has played only 12 games since 2003. Last season with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he rushed for 526 yards in 109 carries but missed two months with a broken arm.
Unread 11 May 2007, 06:25 PM
1st Round Draft Pick

Unread 11 May 2007, 10:10 PM
Coach

When such clear evidence is available for the addictive, overpowering and ruinous nature of recreational drugs, whether marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, or whatever, one can only wonder why anyone in his right mind would even begin to experiment with them.

There seems to be a prevalent mentality of "it can't happen to me", but it always does happen to someone. And what a waste, when that someone happens to have seemingly everything (fame, fortune, talent, etc.) going for him, to watch him throw it all down the drain because of an irresistible addiction, be it chemical or psychological.

When will people wake up to the reality that toxic behavior has destrutive consequences? Sad, sad, sad--and I mean that in a sympathetic, not accusatory sense.
Unread 11 May 2007, 11:27 PM
Lost in the Woods(again)

Apparently, he needs to go back and relearn all aspects of yoga. Since by smoking some weed, he is harming his body which a person who is teaching yoga should be practicing.
Unread 11 May 2007, 11:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehuelsman View Post
When will people wake up to the reality that toxic behavior has destrutive consequences? Sad, sad, sad--and I mean that in a sympathetic, not accusatory sense.
I think it comes down to how bad Ricky wants to play in the NFL. Pot isn't all that addictive (well, that's what I've heard...) and if Ricky wanted to play in the NFL bad enough, he'd be able to put down the bong for a few years and do what he had to do. I know if I smoked a little mj, I'd lose my job AND be in prison. Most folks wouldn't face the same consequences though. It's all relative.