Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 16 Oct 2019, 10:48 PM

Which is precisely why I said "if".
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 07:06 AM

Congrats to LSU........wild game....glad you beat them.

#1 this week?
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 09:57 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

It'd be weird if they did, but only because current #1 pummeled their opponent as well, albeit a weak team....just hard to take #1 away when you couldn't do more. That said, I thought LSU should've been #1 last week.

Ah, those vaunted SEC defenses.........what, near 1200 yards of offense in that game?

Now....regardless of which is 1, which is 2, more silliness ensues with #3 and #4 losing. Clemson, who has and will play nobody of note all season, likely slides into #3 now...and the reasoning will be hey, they're Clemson; rankings should not take history into effect, only the current season.

Then there's #4. 2 unbeatens gone, a 3rd will make a significant move, but not likely jumping several 1 loss teams. So, even tho they were #3, my bet is Alabama only loses 1 spot to #4.

Think about that. #2 beats #3 and the end result could be one doesn't move, the other loses 1 spot. Think that happens to Penn State if it was Ohio State they lost to yesterday?

Now you've got Bama, Penn State, Georgia, Oregon, Utah, and Oklahoma all sitting there with 1 loss....and only 3 unbeatens 'worthy' of a top 4 ranking (I get it, Minnesota had beaten NObody of note before yesterday...in fact my local SDSU was their toughest game before yesterday). So maybe it's OK to think of Bama as #4 for the time being, I don't know.

Both Georgia and Bama have Auburn left. Penn State does still have Ohio State. For the Gophers to finish the regular season unbeaten they have to take out Iowa and Wisconsin, but then Ohio State awaits them in the conference championship. My Ducks should finish the regular season with 1 loss, but then likely face Utah in the conference championship. So who, in all that, finishes the year with 1 loss?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 10:00 AM

LSU has beaten 4 top 10 ranked teams this season....nobody else has, including the criminal element at Ohio State
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 10:24 AM
JSAdmin

Joe Burrow was but a blip on the Heisman screen preseason.

Some had already handed it to Tua, of course injury has derailed that for him, likely, tho a strong finish may keep him a finalist.

It's hard to argue against Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields as strong candidates.

My Ducks' Justin Herbert could be the best NFL prospect, but his game isn't to put up big stats....today's Ducks are not the score quickly and often Chip Kelly Ducks. He is, however, a strong candidate for the academic Heisman.

Chase Young may have killed his Heisman shot by getting a loan to give his girlfriend a nice trip.

Trevor Lawrence, who some view as the next Pat Mahomes, is barely mentioned at this point despite leading an unbeaten team .

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 12:35 PM
Head Coach

To add to the talk about soft schedules Alabama has not beaten a team currently in the top 25! Best win is A&M who has lost 3. Two crappy games left and Auburn. But Auburn already has lost 2. Unless LSU loses two games Bama won't be in SEC championship game.
They have made the playoffs before as second highest ranked SEC team based on schedule. No way should that happen this year if any other power 5 conference has 2 or more one loss teams.
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 04:52 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
To add to the talk about soft schedules Alabama has not beaten a team currently in the top 25! Best win is A&M who has lost 3. Two crappy games left and Auburn. But Auburn already has lost 2. Unless LSU loses two games Bama won't be in SEC championship game.
They have made the playoffs before as second highest ranked SEC team based on schedule. No way should that happen this year if any other power 5 conference has 2 or more one loss teams.
I think Bama won a natty once while not making the SEC Championship game........and this is another way the playoff system is badly whacked...example, Georgia quite likely plays LSU in the SEC Championship. They could then get their 2nd loss and fall behind Alabama in the rankings despite a stronger resume. OR, Minnesota could be unbeaten before playing Ohio State in the Big 10 championship, a loss would be their 1st, but also likely drop them below Alabama despite at least making it to the championship. Similar in the Pac 12.

There just is no logical way to be fair in a 4 team playoff....especially with the biases out there for certain teams. I mean, not playoff related, but Notre Dame has lost both games they've played against solid opponents, yet they're ranked 16th- one of 5 2 loss teams ranked ahead of a group of 1 loss teams.

Unread 10 Nov 2019, 05:36 PM
Head Coach

Yes Alabama did win the national championship when not winning SEC.
That's the problem with these conference championship games. The winning team is rewarded and unless its a blowout the losing team is also rewarded for staying in the game.
In your scenario I definitely agree Alabama will be rated higher in both polls. I just hope the selection committee forgets for once their SEC bias. This year the conference is not dominating. The whole conference seems to suck on defense this year.
Selections need to be made totally on performance on the field in every game. Who is more talented is meaningless. If talent was a factor than you just pick the team with the highest recruiting ratings no matter how many games they loss.
Unread 10 Nov 2019, 07:54 PM
JSAdmin

With an 8 team playoff a lot of this goes away........win your Power 5 conference, you're in. Then you select the top (at least) non-Power 5 team and the remaining debate is who the best 2 remaining teams are...which, by then, should be significantly less than current debates. I have no issue with a non-conference winner winning it all if all conference winners get their shot......just like WC in the NFL

Unread 30 Nov 2019, 08:38 PM

congrats Auburn....you made my day!

Unread 30 Nov 2019, 10:18 PM
Head Coach

So Alabama's only win against a top 30 team is A&M, who by the way will finish 7-5 as they currently trail LSU 48-7. Why aren't all 1 loss teams and most 2 loss teams ranked higher than them?
Unread 01 Dec 2019, 09:04 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjer44 View Post
So Alabama's only win against a top 30 team is A&M, who by the way will finish 7-5 as they currently trail LSU 48-7. Why aren't all 1 loss teams and most 2 loss teams ranked higher than them?
Because they're Bama, dammit....and they gotta keep 'em around in case you can find the excuse to slip 'em into the playoffs.....................which now they can't.

Loved watching Saban explode because officiating didn't bail him out.

And Dabo whining about being ranked 3rd while having played NObody all year.

Now let's see what excuse they'd have to keep Utah out if they beat my Ducks in the Pac-12 championship.....................the odd thing being that win or lose, my Ducks may get the Rose Bowl because they won't make the playoffs either way while Utah might...should (unless Georgia beats LSU in the SEC championship and both make the playoffs)

They dropped the Ducks from 6 to 14 for a 3 point loss to a 7 win team. Justified, maybe, but guaranteed Bama's drop will be about 3 spots.

Unread 01 Dec 2019, 03:29 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Because they're Bama, dammit....and they gotta keep 'em around in case you can find the excuse to slip 'em into the playoffs.....................which now they can't.

Loved watching Saban explode because officiating didn't bail him out.

And Dabo whining about being ranked 3rd while having played NObody all year.

Now let's see what excuse they'd have to keep Utah out if they beat my Ducks in the Pac-12 championship.....................the odd thing being that win or lose, my Ducks may get the Rose Bowl because they won't make the playoffs either way while Utah might...should (unless Georgia beats LSU in the SEC championship and both make the playoffs)

They dropped the Ducks from 6 to 14 for a 3 point loss to a 7 win team. Justified, maybe, but guaranteed Bama's drop will be about 3 spots.
I am sure you are right if Georgia wins LSU also gets in. But it is BS. Unless there are no other conference winner with same record or better you cannot say they are the best ON THE FIELD in the country if you did not PERFORM the best in your conference!
It would be open to argument, Utah if they win or winner of Oklahoma/Baylor.

By the way, one site that rates strength of scheduled has Alabama the easiest schedule of all 14 SEC teams. Best nonconference team they played - Duke!
Unread 01 Dec 2019, 07:39 PM
JSAdmin

They do it with the SEC all the time.....rate them high, therefore even losses can look better....they do it with no other conference. They've done it some with Clemson in particular lately just like they used to with Florida State...but not that whole conference

Now, this year of course Clemson is the reigning champion and unbeaten...so I have less issue, but they've still not played anyone.

Maybe not the best year to point out the difference between how they view the SEC vs the Pac 12, but as a Ducks fan that's the conference I notice. There have been many years Pac 12 teams aren't rated as high as a similar team in the SEC...and since they're not rated as high, beating them means less to those voting.

But, you're also inferring what I've always said- if you can't win your own conference, why should you have a shot at a natty? At least, unless the playoffs are expanded so those non-conference winners are like wild cards in the NFL.

Unread 02 Dec 2019, 08:33 AM
JSAdmin

and now the media is saying things like it's just 'duh, of course that's what will...and should...happen' ............according to most, win or lose in their conference championships, Ohio State and LSU are in the playoffs

Now I realize a loss only gives them each 1 loss while everyone else has one, and in a way I understand that other teams generally would have lost to lesser opponents....it's just to me, a conference championship should be viewed like Round 1 of the playoffs, so a loss there matters a lot more than a loss in the middle of the season.......because again, you're not winning your conference.

After all, if a conference championship isn't going to matter, why play them? There have been years where the only reason a team GOT a 2nd loss....was because they lost the conference championship....while a team they beat to get INTO the conference championship jumps them for the playoffs because they didn't have to play that conference championship game.

Just far too much subjectivity and bias involved in a 4 team playoff.