Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 10 Nov 2017, 12:13 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)
Default Pat Tillman

Given that the government celebrates Veteran's Day tomorrow and the Arizona Cardinals are playing this evening... Pat Tillman. He received the last scholarship on the Arizona State University squad in in 1994. He was 1997 PAC 10 Defensive Player of the year and graduated in 3.5 years with a 3.85 GPA in marketing.

Drafted 228th in the 1998 NFL Draft by the cardinals, he did not earn much. At some time in his short NFL career he denied a $9 million contract to play for the St. Louis Rams - his loyalty to the Cardinals was his primary concern.

9-11 happened; and he completed the year.

May 2002 he joined the US Army, alongside his brother (who was signed to a MLB contract with the Cleveland Indians). After a deployment to Iraq in 2003, for the initial invasion, he and his brother signed on to enter the US Army Ranger School in late 2003.

Pat Tillman deployed to Afghanistan at FOB Salerno. Look at a large scale image of the Afghan - Pakistan border and it looks like a photo of Richard Nixon. FOB Salerno was right on the top of Nixon's upper lip. I do not know what the ground situation was in early 2004 but it was bad in late 2008. The bad guys wanted to cross the border in the lowlands and our forces drove them into the highland farther north by the time I got involved in the geometry. Nixon's eye and forehead were the worst; but I think that is because of the efforts of Pat Tillman and his brothers in arms. Even in late 2008, Nixon's lips to his eyes were to worst. The guys on the ground needed more troops and air support than we could provide.
Pat Tillman was killed, by friendly fire, in a combat situation, on April 22, 2004. Subsequent investigations indicate he was killed by friendly fire. That was not Pat's fault - it was the shooter's. Combat is confusing and I cannot place blame; but Pat Tillman was lost to the NFL and to our nation.
Military members, in combat, wear a patch of our flag flying backward - that is the blue field laying right of the staff rather than the normal left of the staff. That is to demonstrate that troops in combat are rushing to the fight... to the fight. Pat Tillman certainly rushed to the fight and stuck with it until his end.
Should the NFL Hall of Fame have s special place or even a Gold Jacket for someone who gave up so much of his career and all of his life for his country and his flag?

Pat Tillman was a player that refused to kneel. He was a player who stood for the flag and jumped to defend it. I would love to see players jump after the final notes. Respect the flag and the song that honors it but show a willingness to fight to defend it.
Unread 10 Nov 2017, 12:50 AM

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 10 Nov 2017, 01:08 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Location: Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle)
Default Thanks Rich

I knew you would understand. I was a Naval Aviator. I saw lots of combat from the air - just none personally until late in my career. I saw lots of it from a remote Air Operations Center where I was the guy with the decision button. Who do you help and who do you leave to fight it out on the ground. Most nights were quiet - but the others often had more action than we could support with the aircraft available. All need air support - one guy has to decide who gets it. I will live to my dying day to wonder if I made the right decisions.
Unread 10 Nov 2017, 07:45 AM

As a Nam vet........I get it. You cannot second guess yourself.....not healthy.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no