Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 16 Sep 2019, 08:36 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Bucket list item checked

Decades ago I had a co-worker who had a balloon and had promised to take a few of us up....but before he could, he got a job offer in another state and the opportunity was gone. It's been kind of a bucket list item ever since, even tho right up until the time I climbed in yesterday, I wasn't sure how I'd handle it. Heights never bothered me when I was younger, bit more so as I've aged.

But it was AWESOME!!

I hadn't really thought about it all that much, but a few weeks ago I was thinking of making a trip to the Black Hills, 200 miles from me, hadn't been out there this year yet. As I googled to see what events might be coming up, I saw there was a balloon festival that weekend, and that I could buy a ride....only I wasn't sure a ride from there was the best as it was in the southern Hills, more meadow, fewer trees. So I checked further and saw another event this past weekend....and when the pilot referred to it as his favorite ride, even using the word epic, I thought...ok, sold!

It was Stratobowl weekend....this year, 14 total balloons launched (at least yesterday)....this weekend is in honor of some history.

From http://www.stratobowl.com/stratobowl.html
Historic balloon flights. This is why the Stratobowl is "on the map". From here, in 1934 and 1935, the Army Air Corps and National Geographic Society launched manned balloon flights into the stratosphere to a record 72,395 feet. It was then that this little valley became known as the "Stratobowl" and the birthplace of the space age.

10 of us (plus the pilot) had an incredible ride...about an hour in the air, from the Stratobowl site, down Spring Canyon, setting down by the tourist trap we'd met at about 5:30am, Reptile Gardens. One balloon actually landed IN the parking lot.

It was amazing to see how these guys could maneuver despite not really being able to 'steer' in the normal sense. Those not carrying paid passengers (12 of the 14) even dove down BETWEEN trees at times, from our vantage point almost looking like they'd landed.

Anyway, geeking out a bit here, have many more pics but not as many as I could have.....partially because I was just enjoying the ride, partially because I wasn't taking the time to take ideal pics...at sunrise...but as you'll see in one pic, a full moon. In another, you'll see dozens and dozens of people that had gotten out there, hiking to the rim of the bowl before sunrise, just to watch the launch.
IMG_1017e.jpg (367.1 KB, )
IMG_1026e.jpg (456.6 KB, )
IMG_1038e.jpg (384.7 KB, )

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 16 Sep 2019, 09:06 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post

10 of us (plus the pilot) had an incredible ride...
good for you!!...I did the baloony thing once too...daughters 15th i think.

I would be scared silly with that many people in the bucket tho :/
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 16 Sep 2019, 01:36 PM
7th Round Draft Pick

That's pretty awesome. You are a braver soul than me.