Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 16 Sep 2008, 03:08 PM
GM

I want to mention one last thing about the CNN story I just discussed. If people wonder why CNN and if other media outlets as well are pushing this whole notion that the economy is the most important issue in this presidential election people know the real reason why this is happening now.

I even thought back earlier this summer why is CNN doing this and it is so crystal clear to me now but I must admit I did not really know the reason until I read this article today.

I remember towards the end of the democrat election process almost daily CNN would have a story about the economy and even have a little saying economy is #1 issue or something very similar.

And just so person remembers why CNN is doing this type of story I will quote from my last post, "The poll, conducted September 5-7, found that more than half, 56 percent, of the voters surveyed viewed the economy as the most important issue shaping their vote. Obama was viewed as the better candidate to handle the economy by 52 percent of those surveyed, compared with 44 percent who saw McCain as the better candidate on the issue...."

I would encourage others to go find a story that Fox News does the same thing as I have discussed about trying to sway voters in a certain way like CNN but for the republicans. It is most unfortunate for all of us that it should not be very hard at all to find that type of story at all at Fox News.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 18 Sep 2008, 10:29 AM
GM

Obama was answering some questions from Katie Couric and one really caught my eye.

There are times in everyone's life and yes I mean everyone that they should be very self critical of themselves. But Obama it appears to me can not do this for some reason. So how is a person supposed to learn from their mistakes if they feel they have not made many mistakes with regards to their ability to be president.

The first part of Obama's answer to the question just irks me because I am thinking when I read this he really thinks he could make no mistakes at all when he is president.

Now this question is a little stupid actually because no candidate well McCain actually did sort of answer the question but not in a meaningful way a question like this and then I will give Obama's answer to the question. I will give McCain's answer in the next post I guess.

"Katie Couric: What one personal flaw do you think might hinder your ability to be president?

Barack Obama: I don't think there's … a flaw that would hinder my ability to function as president. I think that all of us have things we need to improve. You know, I said during the primary that my management of paper can sometimes be a problem.

Couric: You can come up with something better than that, though, can't you?

Obama: I just use it as an example of something that I'm constantly tryin' to work on. What is often a strength can be a weakness. So, you know, for me there are times where I want to think through all our options. At some point you've gotta make sure that we'r making a decision. So far, at least I've proven to be pretty good about knowing when that time is.

I think, as president, with all the information that's coming at you constantly, you're never gonna have 100 percent information. And you've just gotta make the call quickly and surely. And I think … that's a capacity that I've shown myself to have."

Question and answer here

Let's just hope that the only thing that Obama does wrong as president is his inability to manage papers properly. I would think with the job Obama seeks this will be very important because there is so much paper that is needed in order to even run the federal government. And in fact if Obama gets what he wants there will be a lot more paper needed than normal to keep Washington even running.

I just get all when I even try to think about Obama and taxes and that is just one example I can think of now.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 18 Sep 2008, 10:36 AM
GM

So how did McCain try to answer same question and as I mentioned before both of them in my opinion answered this particular question very poorly. It could very well the question being asked though and both of them wanted it to appear they would have no problems at all for them if they become president. We all should know much better than that though.

I sure do hope that Katie asked the exact same question of both of them so I am going out on a limb a little bit and just assuming this. The reason I do it this way is so that a person can remember what the question is and what McCain's answer to the question is.

"Katie Couric: What one personal flaw do you think might hinder your ability to be president?

John McCain: You know, I'm not an objective observer. I would think that probably, I think that would have to be, to make sure, that I don't make any decisions that are not fully informed by every source of information that's credible I can possibly get. When I see and read history, I see sometimes that presidents make judgments that they only consulted a small circle of people. And sometimes, those were only those who agreed with that president..

I've got to make sure that I reach out to Democrats, to Republicans, to people who have opposing views. Because when we're making decisions about the future of the country, you cannot discount practically any viewpoint. So what happens to presidents in history is they get in bubbles and they don't get all the information they need to make the best judgments. I've got to guard against that."

Speaking of McCain reaching out to democrats what exactly did McCain-Feingold do to actually improve the situation in a meaningful way.

Well I guess a presidential candidate have to approve their vote for me message is a good start.

Question and answer link here.

Unread 18 Sep 2008, 10:43 AM
GM

Just yesterday I was discussing candidates and the way they answer some difficult questions.

And I moaned and groaned that the two presidential candidates try to answer tough questions in such a way that is not meaningful way at all.

This to me what I just discussed and the question by Kouric is a perfect illustration of what I am talking about.

Of course neither one of them want to make it even appear that they might have even a hint of trouble being president.

Well all I have to say about that is that the job is much more difficult than either one of them can possibly even imagine right now.

And I also must point out yet again the mess we are in now.

Unread 18 Sep 2008, 11:10 AM
GM

Well now Obama feels the need now to mock McCain probably for the reason that McCain has been mocking Obama and his lifestyle in at least some of McCain's political advertisements on television.

Obama and McCain acting like each other why does that not surprise me at all.

Obama said this while he was campaigning in Nevada.

"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face," he said."

And what exactly is the purpose of what Obama is saying here.

Story here

I think it would have been much better if Obama would have said it is very important that we discuss the issues that we all face and say nothing at all about getting into peoples faces. What does the last thing I mention really accomplish.

I would dare say that getting into people faces will almost make a person not want to discuss the things that needs to be discussed and I have named just some of them probably a little more I should actually. But part of the reason for that is as I keep mentioning what exactly is this job that both of them seek?

Reason: Added a word to make it easier to read.
Unread 19 Sep 2008, 07:24 PM
GM

As I said in another thread I have lost every last ounce of my ability to objectively look at Obama and I will admit that I have not been very objective about Obama in the first place throughout this thread. I will only provide stories I feel are relevant about Obama from now on until he is president. I will probably find a few things I find important from the debates from Obama and McCain that start a week from today but that will probably be about it until January 20, 2009. I will not comment again about Obama until the date I just mentioned after I ask one simple question about the comments Biden said yesterday on Good Morning America.

Biden what do patriotism and taxes have to do with one another; and what do patriotism and the meltdown in the market system this past week have to with one another?

Unread 25 Oct 2008, 08:35 PM
GM

Well Obama was a cosponsor of a bill about abortion that would say screw it to any federal, state, or local statute, ordinance, administrative order, decision, policy, or other action.

I guess Ms. Boxer wanted everything covered.

I only want to ask what other things the democrats would want to take such action against as well?

I just love how previous federal, states, and local law that restricted abortion in almost any way should not be applied at all in this type of matter that effects all of us if we realize it or not.

Well I would love to find a story about this that is even half way reasonable or even coherent but that is just not possible right now. And of course as geared up a people can get about abortion most of the msm has not tried to call attention to this type of story. I wonder why that would be I just gave the reason why the press would not touch a story like this so close to the presidential election.

I could really care less if this was about abortion or not but we must be diligent as a people if the feds decide on their own what state and local laws should be valid or not.

I will admit if I am reading this wrong but for some reason I don't think that I am.

I will just quote section six of this bill which is at the very bottom of the webpage I will provide after my quote.

"SEC. 6. RETROACTIVE EFFECT.

This Act applies to every Federal, State, and local statute, ordinance, regulation, administrative order, decision, policy, practice, or other action enacted, adopted, or implemented before, on, or after the date of enactment of this Act."

Text of the bill at Thomas

This is the co sponsors of this bill and yes Obama's name is among them.

Co sponsors of this bill

I would think that someone who has actually taught constitutional law before would know what the constitution is about but apparently not imho.

I think if would be quite appropriate to quote the last of the ten amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Would this bill say screw it to the tenth amendment to the constitution or not?

This kind of crap is why I am so looking forward to an Obama presidency.

Unread 25 Oct 2008, 08:54 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

well actually the states don't have the right to overturn supreme court rulings on their own but you already know that.

second, i'm forced to ask where was your uproar when the federal government outlawed partial birth abortions in all 50 states and US territories? i assume you were equally upset about that right?

and finally, this particular legislation is related primarily to inter-state commerce which as you already know is within the purview of the Congress.

and please note, my response is in regard to the specific bill and your questions/comments about the bill, not the issue itself. that said, the fact that nothing in this bill is radically new (i.e., the Congress already has the authority to monitor and regulate interstate commerce as stated in the Constitution) there's really nothing all that news worthy (i.e., worth prime-time coverage) which is likely why it hasn't been the lead in story on any broadcast regardless of which way they lean politically

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan

Unread 26 Oct 2008, 06:15 PM
GM

I am asking just in general and not about this particular bill can the feds just make state and local laws a moot point because federal laws takes precedence?

I don't think that is the case here I was just wondering. This would not be the first time I am overly cynical of how and what Washington does in their daily business.

I wonder how many abortions have to be preformed in another state for a whole bunch of different reasons? I only ask because I think this is where the interstate commerce aspect comes in.

Do I become loud and obnoxious when it comes to the issue of abortion usually? I learned a very long time ago that a person's mind will not be changed about how they feel about abortion unless it effects them very personally. What I just described may change a person mind but another person try to convince a person to come to their viewpoint about the issue of abortion I don't think I have ever noticed this happening before.

And as I said in my previous post in this thread I could really care less that this is about abortion but I would very much care if the feds took it upon themselves to make state and local laws a moot point.