Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 23 Feb 2010, 06:30 PM

Default What "grade" do you give Our President

A little over one year later...what grade do you give him?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 23 Feb 2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Well, based non-partisanly on what he has accomplished: C+

Nick
Unread 23 Feb 2010, 08:37 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Well, based non-partisanly on what he has accomplished: C+

Nick
I agree with that assessment.

Should of had this as a poll Richie

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 24 Feb 2010, 08:27 AM
GM

I would give him an incomplete.

And it will stay that way until we know the final status of health care reform, cap and trade, illegal immigration, check card, taxing the people up the wazoo to pay for all of this and anything else the president has in his head. Well not in the president's head but his buddies on the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Just as an example it took the president over a year to finally have a health care plan of his own. And he runs around saying this is one of the most important issues we face.

As once said it is about the economy stupid. Because if people do not have a job it is going to be kind of hard for them to be sending much revenue to Washington right?

Yes the people are the ones that should be saying what the money is being spent but I can not really remember a time when a person has had less say on what the money the should be spent on than now. Well in the last over little a year and month now.

End of P rant.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 25 Feb 2010, 01:33 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
I would give him an incomplete.

And it will stay that way until we know the final status of health care reform, cap and trade, illegal immigration, check card, taxing the people up the wazoo to pay for all of this and anything else the president has in his head. Well not in the president's head but his buddies on the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Just as an example it took the president over a year to finally have a health care plan of his own. And he runs around saying this is one of the most important issues we face.

As once said it is about the economy stupid. Because if people do not have a job it is going to be kind of hard for them to be sending much revenue to Washington right?

Yes the people are the ones that should be saying what the money is being spent but I can not really remember a time when a person has had less say on what the money the should be spent on than now. Well in the last over little a year and month now.

End of P rant.

I agree. When is he going to stop campaigning? He's being doing it for the past 3 years plus and still trying to kiss everybodies butt. Maybe he needs to stay in DC and try to tend to business.
Unread 25 Feb 2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
I agree. When is he going to stop campaigning? He's being doing it for the past 3 years plus and still trying to kiss everybodies butt. Maybe he needs to stay in DC and try to tend to business.
Eh, any president in the first four years campaigns heavily for the next four years. One of the downfalls of our system [though, there are very few].

Anyway, I am more worried about things like HC Reform, Jobs and National Security over his campaigning. How about the failed bailouts of GM/Chysler. Sure, they saved jobs, but we were lied to. Where is our ROI from those bailouts, like President Obama promised? Hell, even the stupid banks have paid their monies back.

We already pay more per capita than any other country for HC [as a percentage of GDP]. Lets REFORM HC, but please do not give the goverment any more control over the HC industry. And to clarify reform: how about we cut back on the absurd lawsuits? Surgery has risks; do not sign the paper if you do not understand those risks!

Thoughts?

Nick
Unread 27 Feb 2010, 03:06 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Nick, generally agree with your statements other than the campaigns. Yes that normally goes on during the 1st four years, but I feel that Obama is going to extremes in doping so. It seems that he is always on the road somewhere holding townhall meetings and etc. He seems to have spent very little time in DC tending to business.
Unread 27 Feb 2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
Nick, generally agree with your statements other than the campaigns. Yes that normally goes on during the 1st four years, but I feel that Obama is going to extremes in doping so. It seems that he is always on the road somewhere holding townhall meetings and etc. He seems to have spent very little time in DC tending to business.
He has traveled a lot. But, perhaps with advancements of cell-related technologies he does not have to be 'in office' as much? Also, I am sure he has a dedicated satalite signal for his Internet ...

Just thinking out loud here.

Nick

PS - In case anybody had forgotten, I still vote Republican :P
Unread 24 Mar 2010, 03:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Well let's see:
1) Gov't take over of the auto industry
2) Gov't take over of the health care industry
3) Gov't take over of the banking industry
4) Gov't take over of student loans
5) More than tripling the budget deficit
6) Unemployment through the roof

That's probably enough for me to give him an F-

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 15 Apr 2010, 07:52 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
Well let's see:
1) Gov't take over of the auto industry
2) Gov't take over of the health care industry
3) Gov't take over of the banking industry
4) Gov't take over of student loans
5) More than tripling the budget deficit
6) Unemployment through the roof

That's probably enough for me to give him an F-

In hindsight it was a sad day that the majority elected him to the highest office in the land.

Quote:
This I got in a status in facebook:
0ne
Big
A**ed
Mistake
America
Unread 01 Aug 2010, 12:06 PM
GM

President Obama and I are thinking alike.

That kind of scares me but President Obama gives himself an incomplete just as I did back in late February.

Story Here

Well there are the unknown things President Obama still wants to do but there are several things he must get done or at least start getting done by early November 2012. These include such things as getting us out of both Iraq and Afghanistan. Making tens of millions here illegally legal. Then the economy needs to be showing some improvements that have already started well at least in the mind of President Obama. There is much work left to do for President Obama.

But President Obama does have time on his side. People are going to be surprised by the elections this November. As the old saying goes follow the money. I would not be surprised if Democrats picked up a few more seats in the Senate than Republicans and the Democrats very narrowly keep the House as well.

Hopefully I am not dooming Democrats and their wonderful dreams because this is coming from a person that said Lebron James is going to be playing for the Chicago Bulls next season.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 02 Aug 2010, 04:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

In regards to civil liberties a person would think Obama would be a great change from W. Bush ... but the opposite is so...

Last week it was reported that the Obama Administration wants to give the FBI power to force internet companies to reveal information about their users' internet activities: things like who they send email to, times and dates of emails, and maybe also information about their web browser activity. Even worse, they want the FBI to be able to demand this information without a warrant!

Earlier this year, the president signed a bill re-authorizing even the most abusive parts of the PATRIOT Act.

It is business as usual for the politicians, regardless of Republican or Democrat...they are both the same these days.

By my count, Obama gets a F for his policy regarding civil liberties...
Unread 03 Aug 2010, 06:31 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i could go with the incomplete myself. but if i had to give him an "official" grade overall it couldn't be much higher than a C. I'm still hugely in favor of the health care legislation, I still think the repeal of don't ask don't tell is a good idea, i'm loving the stance on not giving into the state's on immigration reform (although i'm not loving the federal stance on it), and i love the push to nationalize student loans.

that said i'm not in favor the his continuing provisions in the PATRIOT act or his enabling continued extensions of the bush tax credits. Plus I'm not thrilled with the way his administration is handling the Israeli/Palestinian debacle either.

still though it's a hell of a lot better than having sarah palin as president God forbid!!!!! i'd put a smilie but i'm not joking.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Aug 2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i could go with the incomplete myself. but if i had to give him an "official" grade overall it couldn't be much higher than a C. I'm still hugely in favor of the health care legislation, I still think the repeal of don't ask don't tell is a good idea, i'm loving the stance on not giving into the state's on immigration reform (although i'm not loving the federal stance on it), and i love the push to nationalize student loans.

that said i'm not in favor the his continuing provisions in the PATRIOT act or his enabling continued extensions of the bush tax credits. Plus I'm not thrilled with the way his administration is handling the Israeli/Palestinian debacle either.

still though it's a hell of a lot better than having sarah palin as president God forbid!!!!! i'd put a smilie but i'm not joking.
Ken......my dear friend and golf partner is in the insurance business and he has confirmed for me that my wife (56 yrs old) has to pay a premium that includes maternity....you think that's fair? there are others with insurance but that's enough for now...it affects me directly.
immigration....do you really think that the fed govt has the same priorities as the states (Ariz etc) that are critically affected by illegal immigration? Those border states are getting hammered with medical giveaways, crime etc. IMHO they (the states) SHOULD be able to have their own reform based on how directly they are being affected.
you really think the govt will be able to administer student loans after all their other debacles?

A president is supposed to be perceived as a strong leader...I'm not seeing that....yet. His ratings are dropping steadily in many polls across the country....there has to be reasons for that. I was willing to give him an incomplete earlier this year....not any longer. I'm being generous giving him a "D". IMHO he'll have a tough time getting reelected. The only thing he has going for him right now is that there are no real strong viable republicans on the horizon.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 03 Aug 2010, 10:52 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Ken......my dear friend and golf partner is in the insurance business and he has confirmed for me that my wife (56 yrs old) has to pay a premium that includes maternity....you think that's fair?
no but neither do i think it's fair that i have to pay medicare taxes when i'm too young to qualify. or that i have to pay school taxes when i have no children in school. however i realize that elderly folks require and deserve medical treatment, and i value a free education for all so i suck it up and understand that the world doesn't revolve around me and even though i don't derive any benifit from it, i do benefit from an educated youth and the wisdom of the elderly.

Quote:
immigration....do you really think that the fed govt has the same priorities as the states (Ariz etc) that are critically affected by illegal immigration? Those border states are getting hammered with medical giveaways, crime etc. IMHO they (the states) SHOULD be able to have their own reform based on how directly they are being affected.
first off i'll agree the federal government needs to do something to better regulate immigration and control the influx of illegals. furthermore, you'll get no argument from me that those who are here illegally should be removed and forced to go through legal channels. that said, the states are prohibited from enacting their own laws via the Constitution. and i'm not comfortable with allowing states to regulate international disputes, commerce, or other international issues. i don't think expanding police powers is ever the answer. far too often we see abuse of the power they have now. it comes down to the give em an inch adage and that mile is too dangerous a mile to surrender if we are to remain a "free" society.

Quote:
you really think the govt will be able to administer student loans after all their other debacles?
absolutely without question. first they will set uniform standards for stafford, perkins, and plus loans. second, they will be guaranteeing their own loans which will keep interest rates at a minimum. third, the provisions of forgiving loans for qualified employees in under-represented areas will be expanded bring much needed services to underprivileged areas without furthering the tax burden on the citizen. finally, because of these other provisions, more loans will be available for more people to have a legit opportunity to meet the ever rising costs of a college education which is rapidly becoming a necessity rather than a luxury in today's global market.

Quote:
A president is supposed to be perceived as a strong leader...I'm not seeing that....yet. His ratings are dropping steadily in many polls across the country....there has to be reasons for that. I was willing to give him an incomplete earlier this year....not any longer. I'm being generous giving him a "D". IMHO he'll have a tough time getting reelected. The only thing he has going for him right now is that there are no real strong viable republicans on the horizon.
we saw the same thing with bush as far as aproval ratings go. and they didn't stop him from seeing a second term. like i said i'm not completely happy with this administration (but i doubt i would be with any administration these days) but i'm not ready to write them off just yet. as for viable republicans, my suggestion to the GOP would be to distance themselves from the Tea Party and run as far away from Sarah Palin as they possibly can and as fast as they possibly can or they might as well resolve to seeing a democratic administration for another four yrs no matter how the next two go. i'll say this much though if we don't see more "change" in the next 18 months, and if we see a candidate not aligned with the radical right wing we could very well see a new administration moving in.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan