Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:36 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
I don't know where you get your info from but according to the DOE's website gasoline prices last summer spiked at the beginning of June at $3.20/gallon and fell just below $2.80/gallon in August. Prices remained relatively flat until November when the winter heating oil season adjustment came in.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...home_page.html
That was the DOE pre-prophesy.

Post-prophesy uses a completely different DOE.

My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 08 Oct 2008, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
I don't know where you get your info from but according to the DOE's website gasoline prices last summer spiked at the beginning of June at $3.20/gallon and fell just below $2.80/gallon in August. Prices remained relatively flat until November when the winter heating oil season adjustment came in.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...home_page.html
So that is about a 16% reduction... currently, we have decreased over 24% since September and prices are said to continue to drop...

So, what's the excuse as to why such a big drop this time, this year?

(Get out your big oil talking points....)
Unread 08 Oct 2008, 10:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Anyone heard of the ICE (InterContinental Exchange)? I'm guessing Rich has due to his reference...

The ICE, a company that wasn't even a year old, when it purchased the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) in 2001. The IPE was one of the world's largest future exchanges prior to being purchased by ICE. So how could the IPE be purchased by a company that isn't even a year old? Oh, because that company (ICE), was formed by oil companies and banks with the sole purpose of making money. So the oil companies also control the very market that their product is being sold on...so they are able to effect the price of oil/fuel regardless of what other factors, real or perceived, that they typically try to feed the masses to justify their pricing...

Read up on it and then come back here and tell me that fuel prices are all supply and demand and cyclical...

(BTW: Down 10 cents from yesterday, 2.89/gal here now... McCain must have gotten bad reviews from the debate last night...)

Unread 08 Oct 2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
So that is about a 16% reduction... currently, we have decreased over 24% since September and prices are said to continue to drop...

So, what's the excuse as to why such a big drop this time, this year?

(Get out your big oil talking points....)
There was more to lose?

Nick
Unread 08 Oct 2008, 07:23 PM
All Pro

Quote:
So that is about a 16% reduction... So, what's the excuse as to why such a big drop this time, this year?
You need to make up your mind. First you say prices did not drop last year. Now you say they dropped 16%.

Did you take the time to compare the reduction in the cost of a barrel of oil last year versus this year? I think not.
Unread 09 Oct 2008, 10:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You need to make up your mind. First you say prices did not drop last year. Now you say they dropped 16%.
I was using the numbers from the doe site you listed in your post to draw the comparison...

And any 'reduction' in fuel prices that occurred over the past 2 years has only been short term with the increases being more dramatic.

And again, yes, I understand gas comes from oil and oil prices determine fuel prices...

Read up on the ICE and you can move past the price per barrel = gas prices one track thinking...

Ok, I'm willing to say that no one will be giving me credit for a prediction I made 2 months ago... it won't change the fact that my prediction may be accurate...heck, I even called 2.99/gal when prices were $4+, I am sure most thought that was a dream but that's where most of the central U.S. is at, or cheaper, and I think 2.99 will hit the large urban areas prior to 11/4.

But you guys are spewing your spoonfed big oil excuses to try and refute my 'prediction' which is exactly what I am contradicting... I don't buy any big oil excuses...

The facts are that gas prices in America since 2001 - the creation of the ICE - had increased at the fastest escalation of gas prices - by far - in the history of gas prices. Since 2001, as fuel prices increased, we continued to hear the laundry list of big oil excuses: refinery shortages, distribution issues, increased global demand, hurricanes, speculation, etc... And during this entire time prices never, ever dropped for any reason even after some of the 'excuses' floated out there would have expired. Oh sure the typical gas increase for the summer is standard, that has happened since the automobile was invented...but the fact still remains that even last year and in previous years the decrease after the summer months has never been as drastic as it has been this year...and with the winter heating season almost upon us, there would be no 'excuse' for gas/fuel prices to be taking this huge plunge at this time...

So I get it...you don't and won't give me any credit if my 'prophecy' even comes to 100% fruition because anyone could have done it and everyone seen it coming a mile away...
Unread 09 Oct 2008, 08:39 PM
All Pro

Quote:
...but the fact still remains that even last year and in previous years the decrease after the summer months has never been as drastic as it has been this year...
Again, I don't know where you get your info but you are wrong, again.

At the beginning of this past July the average price per gallon of regular gasoline in the U.S. was $4.10 and dropped to an average of $3.60 at the beginning of October. That is a decrease of .50 cents per gallon or 12%.

In August of 2006 the average price per gallon was $3.00 and dropped to an average of $2.20 in November the same year. That is a decrease of .80 per gallon or 26.5%. More than double this years decline.

I could care less about your "prophecy" but who are the real sheep?
Unread 14 Nov 2008, 09:40 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

$1.77 a gallon, in Berlin, NJ.

Seems that since Obama was elected, that rascally Bush Cabal is going to be giving gas away in order to confuse everyone.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 12:44 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
heck, gas could go down to $2.50 a gallon if McCain really falls in the polls, but could hit that level by election day just for that last little push over the top... then starting Nov. 5 gas prices will begin to rise again...
Wow, this thread got quiet in a hurry...

Good call on the price falling, but where is the post election rise? Prices are still going down, even with production cut. Love to hear what the "prophet" has to say now...

Crude Oil Price Nov 5th: ~$65
Crude Oil Price Jan 19th: ~$36

Gas Prices Nov 5th: ~ $2.35
Gas Prices Jan 19th: ~$1.80

Unread 21 Jan 2009, 12:39 AM
All Pro

The fall in the price of a barrel of oil and subsequent reduction of the retail price of gasoline is tied to the financial market meltdown. Speculators got nervous and ran with their profits. These are the same folks who drove up the barrel.

There has been some talk about Americans driving less thus driving down demand but that is not what drove prices down.

Believe me ExxonMobil, BPAmoco, and Royal Dutch Shell would much prefer to suffer thru lower throughputs at three or four times the margin than higher demand at the margins they have now.

And before you beat up the corner gas station guy you should know this. ExxonMobil has a reported 40 billion dollar cash surplus. Rumor has it they are contemplating buying out one of the other majors. If we let that happen we have no one but ourselves to blame for the fallout.
Unread 21 Jan 2009, 11:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
Wow, this thread got quiet in a hurry...

Good call on the price falling, but where is the post election rise? Prices are still going down, even with production cut. Love to hear what the "prophet" has to say now...

Crude Oil Price Nov 5th: ~$65
Crude Oil Price Jan 19th: ~$36

Gas Prices Nov 5th: ~ $2.35
Gas Prices Jan 19th: ~$1.80
Well, I will admit my prophecy did not come to full fruition and I really don't claim to be a 'prophet' of any sort. But I do have an underlying skepticism of fuel prices and them being artificially manipulated...and that has been my basic premise from the beginning...

And just for a correction on your sitings... Crude Oil Price continues to be low but now fuel prices have begun to rise gas prices in December were at an average of $1.65/gal and are begining to rise, currently at $1.88/gal...so I don't think you can quickly discount my 'prophecy' in that regard ... and in my original 'prophecy' I did state prices would rise in February...

Quote:
... and sometime in February oil companies begin to creep their gas prices back up...
So why the increase this time?

It's your standard big oil excuse, refinery issues, even with the crude oil storage in America at near historic highs, big oil just reverts to their classic lines as to why gas prices go up for no apparent reason.

So even though my election outcome was wrong and some will continue to belittle and discredit anything I say from this point, I am man enough to come back and take the heat.

I know I no longer frequent these forums and will likely remain more absent than present ... but for those that know me better and probably understand my tact from the past, my 'prophecy' regarding the election was me essentially guessing the outcome of the election based on the fact that I think most American voters are fairly uninformed and that the 'live in the moment'. I felt at that time, because fuel prices were at historic highs and then making dramatic declines prior to the election seemed like a convenient premise to theorize on how a particular person could win or lose our presidential election merely on a single issue. Was I truly serious in my 'prophecy' ... well partly.

As I stated, my point of contention has been, and continues to be, that I think fuel prices are artificially set and increases as well as decreases in the price of fuel is mostly arbitrary. Big oil excuses for any movement in oil has been accepted by most and never questioned, yet if a person looks deeper into the oil industry - the worldwide oil industry - one can see how prices can be 'fixed', incredible profits being made and little questions ever being asked. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for free enterprise and capitalism, but the oil industry (again, the worldwide oil industry) has been able to monopolize itself which does not promote free enterprise or an open market competition within the industry. The oil industry has essentially evolved into several banks and other wealthy corporations conglomerate themselves to essentially control this product. It is then us, the end consumers, who are the ones that take the brunt of any decisions the oil industry makes regarding their prices and I, for one, am tired of hearing the same old excuses dragged out anytime the oil industry wants to increase prices with blank acceptance from the media, government and consumers.

So yes, my prophecy, as a whole, was incorrect...but my prophecy, as I stated, was more of a correlating effect that I thought could be a possibility. Sure, I may have touted my prophecy with a bit of bravado but in reality, it was more of me trying to correlate 2 events with each other and less of me trying to appear as some sort of mystic that can see into the future ... I am a very pragmatic person and I do not believe in such things to begin with. If I would have simply came out and said, I think this is what is going to happen and left it at that, we wouldn't have a 4 page thread that has caught people's attention and sparked a continued discussion for 5 months. It would have simply had a few 'You're Crazy' and 'Put Down The Pipe' responses (that I typically receive when posting in these forums in the past) and be left at that.

I do realize that these forums are filled with a 'fickle' bunch with very little leeway towards just having a 'conversation' and any misstep will be displayed prominently and mocked without end ... and you can see by the participation amongst your members on these very forums the positive effect that has had (/end sarcasm). I have found other forums to frequent where a person can 'get away' with the type of posts that I make... which are often laced with satire, idiocy and humor in attempts to show the absurdity ... and I will reserve my commentary to those places where, sure, it may be seen just as absurd there as here, but elsewhere people understand my tact...and as they may mock or disagree with my overall points, at least can pull out the portions that 'make sense' to them or at the very least turn it into a dialogue that most everyone can participate. Here, an attempt to expand the conversation past mainstream media talking points is usually greeted with a barrage of negativity and attempts to squash any conversation before it even begins.

So if you want to devalue my prophetic claims, I am willing to accept that ... heck, I have yet to pick the Cards in the playoffs, so I know how good of a soothsayer I am ... and I will leave it at that...

Unread 21 Jan 2009, 01:38 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
I do realize that these forums are filled with a 'fickle' bunch with very little leeway towards just having a 'conversation' and any misstep will be displayed prominently and mocked without end ... and you can see by the participation amongst your members on these very forums the positive effect that has had (/end sarcasm). I have found other forums to frequent where a person can 'get away' with the type of posts that I make... which are often laced with satire, idiocy and humor in attempts to show the absurdity ... and I will reserve my commentary to those places where, sure, it may be seen just as absurd there as here, but elsewhere people understand my tact...and as they may mock or disagree with my overall points, at least can pull out the portions that 'make sense' to them or at the very least turn it into a dialogue that most everyone can participate. Here, an attempt to expand the conversation past mainstream media talking points is usually greeted with a barrage of negativity and attempts to squash any conversation before it even begins.

So if you want to devalue my prophetic claims, I am willing to accept that ... heck, I have yet to pick the Cards in the playoffs, so I know how good of a soothsayer I am ... and I will leave it at that...
Amen brother. My comment to your comments was out of line and for that I apologize. What makes it seem worse that I meant it was the "prophet" comment.

This is the first time i've been posting here in several months as well. In fact, over the last year, i've only made a few appearances. In my time away I've come to similar conclusions as you are stating here. And dare I say it, I've almost come to the agreement with some things that "he who shall not be named" did in his time here. There are a lot of opinionated people here. Maybe it is the age demographic? I don't know. These comments may open up a big ol can of worms, but honestly I don't care.