FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 14 Mar 2019, 07:21 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default wish list....

..of sporting rule changes (fiction)

full story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2913317002/

1. Ban tackle football for children under 14
"The kids don’t lose anything in this situation," Chris Nowinski, co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, told USA TODAY Sports in a phone interview. "There’s no safety issue that’s known. There’s no football development issue that’s known — no child’s being recruited off their fifth-grade film. So you end up with healthier children, still playing football — just for fewer seasons of tackle."

2. Seed playoff teams by record, regardless of conference
A change to seeding-by-record — without regard to teams' conference or league —would also allow for teams in the same conference to meet for a title. The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox could meet in the World Series. The Dallas Cowboys could play the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl, and the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins could battle for the Stanley Cup.

3. Adopt a split-season MLB schedule
“I know people roll eyes at it," Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz says, “but it works in the minor leagues. Teams can now compete in the second half instead of just dumping everybody. How are you going to tell your fan base that you’re not going to try in the second half? Who says you can’t have a nice second half? You could see teams reconstructed and change philosophically."

4. Implement a shot clock in golf
Put a shot clock on the screen of every televised golf tournament. I’d go with 30 seconds, but I’d settle for 40 seconds. Time starts when the player arrives at his or her ball. Each golfer would have a shot clock of their own in their bag so they would be aware of how much time they have. Can you imagine? Phil Mickelson is trying to decide which wedge to use, and all of a sudden, the clock is ticking down: 5…4…3…

5. Eliminate all-star games, and expand skills competitions
Television ratings for all-star games are down across sports, and the apathy among players is pervasive. So why bother? Why not craft and publicize all-star rosters, and still host an all-star weekend, but with expanded skills competitions as the main attraction?

6. Expand the size of the NBA court
Basketball players at all levels – and especially the NBA – have gotten bigger, stronger and faster, taking up more space on the court and covering ground quicker than ever. Why not make the court bigger in the NBA? While it doesn’t seem like a huge difference, extending the court width-wise would create more space and improve the flow of the game.

7. Create a rotation for Olympic host cities
How would this work? Los Angeles is hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics, so let’s begin the rotation there. Sydney gets the 2032 Games, London 2036 and then a wild card – most likely a nation in Africa, a continent that has never hosted the Olympics – in 2040. Then the Games go back to L.A. in 2044, and on it goes.

8. Expand the College Football Playoff
A sport that’s subjective by definition should lean on objective measurements whenever it can. Double the bracket to eight teams, with an automatic berth for each Power Five champion and either two or three at-large berths. The selection committee can choose the at-large entrants and seed the bracket. Give the Group of Five’s best team a berth if it meets a rankings threshold.

9. Play the Super Bowl on a Saturday night
Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday is something we sports fans deserve. In this new world of convenience, where we can just about watch and eat anything we want with just a few clicks of a button on our phone, we're still being inconvenienced by a Sunday night Super Bowl? Why?

10. Let college athletes profit off their name, image and likeness
While the idea of schools paying salaries to college athletes would be controversial and complex, particularly given gender equity Title IX considerations, allowing them to trade on their name, image and likeness is the obvious free market solution to America’s growing unease with the inequity of a system that artificially restricts many athletes from capitalizing on their value.

Read the full story here.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2913317002/

11. Eliminate the national anthem before sporting events
Playing the anthem before our football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer games has become a lazy excuse for patriotism. Standing at attention – or a loose approximation of it – for 2 minutes no more proves love of country or gratitude for those who serve than wearing an American flag pin does.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 14 Mar 2019, 07:54 PM

[quote=yon Beast;97798]..of sporting rule changes (fiction)

full story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2913317002/

1. Ban tackle football for children under 14
"The kids don’t lose anything in this situation," Chris Nowinski, co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, told USA TODAY Sports in a phone interview. "There’s no safety issue that’s known. There’s no football development issue that’s known — no child’s being recruited off their fifth-grade film. So you end up with healthier children, still playing football — just for fewer seasons of tackle."

Under 14? Nope! Under 12? Yup.

2. Seed playoff teams by record, regardless of conference
A change to seeding-by-record — without regard to teams' conference or league —would also allow for teams in the same conference to meet for a title. The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox could meet in the World Series. The Dallas Cowboys could play the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl, and the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins could battle for the Stanley Cup.

I could be persuaded

3. Adopt a split-season MLB schedule
“I know people roll eyes at it," Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz says, “but it works in the minor leagues. Teams can now compete in the second half instead of just dumping everybody. How are you going to tell your fan base that you’re not going to try in the second half? Who says you can’t have a nice second half? You could see teams reconstructed and change philosophically."

100% agree

4. Implement a shot clock in golf
Put a shot clock on the screen of every televised golf tournament. I’d go with 30 seconds, but I’d settle for 40 seconds. Time starts when the player arrives at his or her ball. Each golfer would have a shot clock of their own in their bag so they would be aware of how much time they have. Can you imagine? Phil Mickelson is trying to decide which wedge to use, and all of a sudden, the clock is ticking down: 5…4…3…

There already are limitations, but are rarely enforced. Problem here is...tough course, horrible weather.....they need more time. IMO a clock under those circumstances would be very unfair

5. Eliminate all-star games, and expand skills competitions
Television ratings for all-star games are down across sports, and the apathy among players is pervasive. So why bother? Why not craft and publicize all-star rosters, and still host an all-star weekend, but with expanded skills competitions as the main attraction?

Agree

6. Expand the size of the NBA court
Basketball players at all levels – and especially the NBA – have gotten bigger, stronger and faster, taking up more space on the court and covering ground quicker than ever. Why not make the court bigger in the NBA? While it doesn’t seem like a huge difference, extending the court width-wise would create more space and improve the flow of the game.

And raise the basket a minimum of 6 inches

7. Create a rotation for Olympic host cities
How would this work? Los Angeles is hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics, so let’s begin the rotation there. Sydney gets the 2032 Games, London 2036 and then a wild card – most likely a nation in Africa, a continent that has never hosted the Olympics – in 2040. Then the Games go back to L.A. in 2044, and on it goes.

Why?

8. Expand the College Football Playoff
A sport that’s subjective by definition should lean on objective measurements whenever it can. Double the bracket to eight teams, with an automatic berth for each Power Five champion and either two or three at-large berths. The selection committee can choose the at-large entrants and seed the bracket. Give the Group of Five’s best team a berth if it meets a rankings threshold.

I'd suggest more power be taken away from the NCAA in all sports.

9. Play the Super Bowl on a Saturday night
Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday is something we sports fans deserve. In this new world of convenience, where we can just about watch and eat anything we want with just a few clicks of a button on our phone, we're still being inconvenienced by a Sunday night Super Bowl? Why?

I like this. More people would make it to work on Monday as a side benefit too.

10. Let college athletes profit off their name, image and likeness
While the idea of schools paying salaries to college athletes would be controversial and complex, particularly given gender equity Title IX considerations, allowing them to trade on their name, image and likeness is the obvious free market solution to America’s growing unease with the inequity of a system that artificially restricts many athletes from capitalizing on their value.

Wouldn't be complex at all if all athletes were paid the same....a monthly stipend to help with expenses. Add too much $$$ to amateur sports just invites more trouble with gambling etc

Read the full story here.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ge/2913317002/

11. Eliminate the national anthem before sporting events
Playing the anthem before our football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer games has become a lazy excuse for patriotism. Standing at attention – or a loose approximation of it – for 2 minutes no more proves love of country or gratitude for those who serve than wearing an American flag pin does.

VEHEMENTLY disagree

edit: I did read the 1st sentence of the post....thus the
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no