Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 13 Jul 2007, 10:37 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default Moore may tackle gay rights

I hesitate to put this in, because I'm sure words will be exchanged...

Moore may tackle gay rights

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465...e_r.jpg?size=l

CanWest News Service

Published: Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Controversial filmmaker Michael Moore has revealed that he might take on homophobia and the anti-gay movement in his next documentary.

“I think it’s a very ripe subject for someone like me to make a movie about,” he admitted, in an interview with The Advocate. “Simply because we are not there yet and it remains one of the last open wounds on our soul that we are not willing to fix yet.”

Moore, whose latest film Sicko attacks the U.S. health care system, expressed anger at fundamentalist Christians in the U.S. who condemn same-sex marriage.

“There is nowhere in the four Gospels where Jesus uses the word ‘homosexual.’ The right wing has appropriated this guy … and they have used him to attack gays and lesbians, when he never said a single word against people who are homosexual. Anyone who professes to be a Christian and does that is certainly not following the teachings of Jesus Christ.”

Moore, who told the magazine he is a spiritual person, said he supports same-sex marriage.

“I certainly believe that I have no right to tell another couple whether they can or cannot be married,” he said.

Moore said he is optimistic that gays and lesbians in the U.S. will have more equality soon “because everyone has someone who is gay or lesbian in their family or their extended family.”

The director of Fahrenheit 911 and Bowling for Columbine said he is proud to speak out in favour of gay rights.

“If you believe in equality, if you believe in standing up for the rights of all, especially for people most affected by bigotry and discrimination, then you have no choice but to be present and accounted for when it comes to standing up for gays and lesbians in our society.”

© CanWest News Service 2007
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 12:27 AM
JS Mod

Have you seen SICKO yet? I saw it, free, on the internet a few days ago.
It was great. Michael Moore really did justice to the topic and I'm sure he'll do justice to this issue too.

Unread 14 Jul 2007, 01:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Michael Moore is pimping his latest movie and will say whatever he has to, to whoever he has to, to get his name in print or on TV. That's the way the business works. Is his next film going to be about gay rights in America (or anywhere else in the world)? Hell no. But if the readers of "The Advocate" think that may be the case, they are probably more likely to go watch his current film and give it a "thumbs up" because they are prone to agree with him (he's on their side after all!). I haven't seen "Sicko", but I probably will before long, but it won't be because I think Michael Moore cares any more about me than any other movie producer. If he does, that's great. If he doesn't, how will I ever know?
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 08:45 AM
GM

I am going to make this as simple as possible.

Michael Moore makes movies to make money and not because he even really cares about whatever topic he is a making his movies about.

The exact same thing could be said about Al Gore as well.

And no I am not trying to discourage people from even going to see Mr. Moore's or Al Gore's movies I just want people to know going in why thy are making their movies in the first place.

It sort of reminds me of Ann Coulter she knows that even more people will buy her books the more she bashes the other side. I am sure Ms. Coulter smiles every time she goes to the bank when the other side attacks her and the way she talks about her books and writes in her books that happens very frequently.

I am also just as suspicious of Ann Coulter as I am of Michael Moore. The main reason I am suspicious of both of them they both want to draw attention to themselves whether they are making a movie or writing a book. It makes little difference to me. As I said Ms. Coulter knows exactly what she is doing and apparently by the number of books she sells and how much attention her books get each time she writes one she is very good at what she needs to do make money as well.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 11:37 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpeter72 View Post
I am going to make this as simple as possible.

Michael Moore makes movies to make money and not because he even really cares about whatever topic he is a making his movies about.

The exact same thing could be said about Al Gore as well.

And no I am not trying to discourage people from even going to see Mr. Moore's or Al Gore's movies I just want people to know going in why thy are making their movies in the first place.

It sort of reminds me of Ann Coulter she knows that even more people will buy her books the more she bashes the other side. I am sure Ms. Coulter smiles every time she goes to the bank when the other side attacks her and the way she talks about her books and writes in her books that happens very frequently.

I am also just as suspicious of Ann Coulter as I am of Michael Moore. The main reason I am suspicious of both of them they both want to draw attention to themselves whether they are making a movie or writing a book. It makes little difference to me. As I said Ms. Coulter knows exactly what she is doing and apparently by the number of books she sells and how much attention her books get each time she writes one she is very good at what she needs to do make money as well.
i agree with you abour moore but i think you're dead wrong with gore and his cause. it's pretty obvious given it's (the environment) been a priority of his for the last 35 yrs (long before it became cliche). i think he truly does care.

as for moore, the issue isn't whether he cares or not as long as he can raise awareness and get people thinking (whether they agree with his take or not) then he's doing a service to the nation as a whole. unlike coulter who offers nothing thought provoking or contributing in any fashion other than hateful venom.

i'm guessing you don't read her work because you seem far to intelligent to have read it and think she does anymore than perpetuate hate and ignorance.

moore will likely take on gay rights as his next project. it's a hot button topic that in recent years has been used to incite fear and up poll numbers. to that end whether or not he cares about gay rights he does seem to care about election results and if he can educate a few folks (or at least get them to see past propoganda) then his endeavor will be well worth the effort. and if he makes a few bucks off it so what? he's doing nothing more than those who use it to incite fear subsequently guaranteeing them 2, 4, or 6 more years of a paycheck complete with kickbacks and lobbyist funding.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 01:19 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

I totally agree with what you've all said about Moore. I'm sure he started out wanting to actually make a difference etc., but now he's all about the bucks and getting his name out there.

That being said, I'm glad to see that he's made his movies/books. It's just too bad that many of the population in our countries take what he says as the 100% truth. You'll never get an accurate view of anything if you simply listen to the news/politicians/activists. You need to do your own research if you truly want to know what's going on.
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 01:45 PM
GM

I must say that I have read only a few paragraphs in any of Ms. Coulter's books.

I don't even really want to discuss the very small part of the one book I did read by her but what I did read did not seem very constructive at all.

I really like islandgirl's last comment about people going out and educating themselves on an issue. But I must also say that it is really hard for me sometimes to get past the comments that should be left out of the discussion entirely because to me they just makes me lose focus sometimes on the heart of the matter whatever it may be.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 02:28 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
It's just too bad that many of the population in our countries take what he says as the 100% truth. You'll never get an accurate view of anything if you simply listen to the news/politicians/activists. You need to do your own research if you truly want to know what's going on.
i couldn't agree more but sadly many (including some i would consider rather intelligent) don't seem to be motivated enough to do so choosing instead to swallow partisan rhetoric, spew it back out, and never once actually stop to think why they "believe" what they believe.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan