Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 09 Jul 2007, 11:04 PM
Coach

Default White House still clueless on why people want out of Iraq

Either they are just that stupid (a distinct possibility) or they dont want to know why (probably the answer, though theres little difference between deliberate ignorance and stupidity). I dont usually agree with him, but Novak's column today was very insightful. What really scared me was when he alluded that the White House seems to want to make the military the fall guy for Iraq. If so, it seems to be the usual way they've supported the troops all along.

Article

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 12:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

According to the article, the only Senators mentioned by name were Hagel, Warner, Lugar and Domenici, and the latter was specifically said NOT to be part of the talks. As we all know Hagel is a RINO, Warner is a weak sister fence sitter when it comes to the war. I could see why Bush would want to talk to Lugar, to see why the defection. But Novak deliberately omitted the names of the people questioning Bushwhile naming only those (excluding Lugar) who have openly questioned Bush for a long time. No surprises for me in the article.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 01:02 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
As we all know Hagel is a RINO
you're quite fond of tossing that word around whenever someone doesn't kow down to the party line. but i'm curious on what do you base your opinion?

surely it's not his voting record as it shows he's a good little republican

For example, he towed the party line with regard to veteran's benifits when he voted no to both the funding for vets amendment and the health care for vets amendments of 2005

With regard to trade he voted right in line with his party on the U.S.-Oman FTA and the implementation of it. He voted with his party on CAFTA, the US-Chile FTA, the US-Singapore FTA, and the trade act of 2002

He voted against hate crime legislation and against all proposals to negotiate drug prices. He also voted against every attempt to increase medicare coverage and like a good little republican voted to -------ize the whole concept with his nay vote on the part D amendment last year.

He's repeatedly voted against stem cell research and in favor of prohibiting abortion rights.

He's a strong proponent of the inappropriately named Patriot Act and the White House's version of the Berlin Wall.

He's voted no on every piece of legislation that would serve to aid the common laborer siding instead with corporate america and the GOP. Such as the Union Organization Bill and the Minimum Wage Adjustment Amendment.

He voted no to the Medicaid Generic Drug Amendment, the Medical Assistance and Prescription Drug Amendment, the Hurricane Health Care for Survivors Amendment, and the AIDS Drug Assistance Program Amendment all of which were voted right in line with his party.

Voted for the formation of the DOHS and making it permanent.

Voted in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment and against both equal rights for same-sex couples and the Teen Pregnancy Education Amendment.

He has voted to confirm (without exception) every single Bush nomination.

Voted no to both the Clean Energy Act of 2007 and the Alternative Energy Subsidies while voting yes to both the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Drilling amendment and to Offshore drilling in Virginia

He voted along with his part no to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act Amendment, Individuals with Disabilities Education Amendment, and no to increasing the federal pell grant program. And voted no to protecting the arts and humanities in America's public schools.

He voted no to investigating contracts awarded in Iraq, and to the formation of a special committee investigating said contracts in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

And finally, he voted no to every attempt to hold the executive accountable for their actions over the course of the past 6 years.

So again I ask, is RINO just a word you toss out when someone has the balls to deviate from the party line on a given issue or do you know something that his history and record are missing?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 01:27 AM

I need go no further than the two most important issues for the survival of the US: immigration and the War on terror. He has no clue as to the importance of either of these issues and has consistantly voted incorrectly on each of these issues.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 09:40 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
I need go no further than the two most important issues for the survival of the US: immigration and the War on terror. He has no clue as to the importance of either of these issues and has consistantly voted incorrectly on each of these issues.
while i disagree with your claims as to the above being the most vital to our nation's survival (i'd argue education is far more critical than immigration and the war on terror has become as ludicrous as the war on drugs) i think you might want to recheck his stance on those issues.

as far as immigration is concerned, he has voted in favor of building a fence, barring immigrants with criminal histories (a sound vote i'll agree), and for bush's immigration bill as did the vast majority of his party. now while i'll agree that a fence and bush's immigration bill are both a complete waste of time and money, i'm forced to point out that he did in fact tow the party line.

with regard to the invasion and occupation of iraq, and the war in afghanistan, with the sole exception of his recent calls to scale back our forces and realization that iraq is a failed policy, he has supported the president and the GOP agenda with each of his votes since 2001.

for example, he has voted yes to every financial request made by the executive with regard to the two theaters, he has voted strict party line on every defense issue since 2001 including no votes to legislation calling for oversight of detainees and investigation into alleged torture choosing instead to protect the executive, he voted to allow the executive to monitor and censor stories being reported from iraq, and even voted to defund the UN Rights Council (imagine that a republican who's record shows disdain for civil and/or human rights who'd have thunk it).

again, i hear what you're saying but the facts just don't line up.

wow i bet no one would have ever imagined me defending a conservative's stance in Washington....lol

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan

Unread 10 Jul 2007, 01:52 PM
Coach

I always laugh when people people on the far (extremist?) right throw around the word RINO. Its an impolite way to say a Republican is not "conservative" and thus "liberal". And someone far smarter than me once said....'Conservative' is a word conservatives use for other conservatives. Until you disagree with them. Than you become an evil liberal.

It gets old when they attack the person instead of the argument as if that has any validity. Well spoc almost did in his first response here, but had to throw in the RINO dig.

I agree with your assessment though hork. Just because he doesnt endorse Tancredo's idiotic and bound to fail "build a fence to keep out the little brown people" approach doesnt make him a RINO.

Edit: Forgot something else I was gonna mention. If Iraq is what makes someone conservative, than Lieberman is about as conservative as they come. You can have him in your club.

Unread 12 Jul 2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
It gets old when they attack the person instead of the argument as if that has any validity.
Quote:
people on the far (extremist?) right

Quote:
Tancredo's idiotic...

Quote:
Either they are just that stupid

Quote:
deliberate ignorance and stupidity
hmmm

- Wilbur Wright
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

I'd like to know what good pulling out of Iraq will bring.

Will the world be better off?
Will Iraq be more safe?
How many MORE people would die?

Israel/Palestine anyone? How long have they been fighting?

If we can get a solid government and a will to win instilled in the people of Iraq, they can and will succeed. Pulling out of Iraq now is NOT the right move. Since Dem's are always about putting others before themselves [and their nation], why not 'help' Iraq by staying?

Nick
Unread 15 Jul 2007, 06:22 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
I'd like to know what good pulling out of Iraq will bring.

Will the world be better off?
Will Iraq be more safe?
How many MORE people would die?

Israel/Palestine anyone? How long have they been fighting?

If we can get a solid government and a will to win instilled in the people of Iraq, they can and will succeed. Pulling out of Iraq now is NOT the right move. Since Dem's are always about putting others before themselves [and their nation], why not 'help' Iraq by staying?

Nick
To quote The Clash....Should I stay or should I go? If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double.

Considering the other hit song on that album was an anti-Iranian anthem at the time of the rise of the Ayatollah, I think its poignant to use (though Combat Rock is far inferior to London Calling).

There are no good solutions. But thats what you get for running headstrong into a situation without caution for the consequences.

Heck my solution would be that the 25% or so of the people who still support the war go over there as part of the surge (within reason of age, health, etc) instead of following Dick Cheney's lead where he got 5 deferments from the draft during Vietnam cause he "had other priorities in the 60s, other than military service." That'd easily be 150k-200k troops which may actually help things (highly doubtful but better than the piss drop in the bucket Bush did with the 20k troop surge).

Unread 17 Jul 2007, 08:55 AM
GM

Could we replace the word insurgents with the the word terrorists with regards to Iraq?
How effective has the Iraqi government been so far with regards to dealing with the insurgents?
So when we do leave what types of consequences will there be if any?

My first question I would say no one can be 100% sure that all of the insurgents are terrorists but there is no doubt that some of the insurgents are indeed terrorists.
The Iraqi government may be better equipped to handle the insurgents than when the war first started but I have not heard any news that the Iraqis themselves have been dealing with the insurgents. Maybe there have been stories like this and I just have not heard about them.
I only ask my last question because I believe if we have to go back into Iraq latter on and to me that is a distinct possibility will the situation be more or less dangerous than it is now? I could see the a real possibility that the insurgents become better armed and equipped without our presence in Iraq. Could the Iraqi government handle these much more dangerous insurgents?

I just want Washington to think about what they are doing long and hard before they actually do anything with regards to Iraq. But on the other hand part of the reason this is happening in the first place is because of Washington.

We could easily play the blame game right now. But is that really good idea? I just want Washington to do the right thing with regards to this situation no matter what it is and quite frankly at this point whatever the right answer is I don't really care which side of the aisle turns out to be right or wrong as long as Washington gets it right this time.

I want to say something else about my last question about when we leave Iraq what will some of the consequences be. No one really knows all of the consequences that could possibly happen. Will our leaving Iraq create more or less problems than we have now? This is another important question that Nick eluded to earlier in this thread.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.