Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 22 Sep 2007, 04:27 PM
Coach

Default Flip floppery

The mayor of San Diego reverses his stand on gay marriage thanks in part to his lesbian daughter.

Link

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 24 Sep 2007, 02:13 PM
GM

Why do I even bother to read the news anymore?

The question I asked myself before I read the story is this mayor up for reelection?

Quote:
Speaking one day before he plans to formally launch his re-election campaign, Sanders' emotions began to overtake him almost immediately as he prepared to discuss his daughter Lisa's private life.
I knew the answer to my second question before I read the story.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 24 Sep 2007, 02:16 PM
GM

And the sad part is that I would even have to question the mayor's motives on his so called flip flop in the first place.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 26 Sep 2007, 12:42 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
The mayor of San Diego reverses his stand on gay marriage thanks in part to his lesbian daughter.

Link

like i've said a million times it's easy to hate and ridicule until it becomes personal. hey if his daughter coming out helped him open his eyes and realize that gays aren't a threat to our nation and aren't less human than we so be it. while i think the press conference was a bit over the top i applaud him for coming to his senses. gives one hope for the rest of society.

after all to recognize they are in fact people, promised equal protection and opportunity under the law, and entitled to live their lives as they choose is a huge difference from actively participating. and last i checked no one was asking for our (read as straight) participation.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan