Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 10:15 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Default the Rush to Rushmore

Can they get him chiseled in by January?

Forget that the DOW has been down over 25% since his election, even though we were told he was "priced in" before then-

Now we're naming schools and mountains for Obama.

Gosh. We may not be ready by Day 1.

Should I just start sketching his face onto my dollar bills now?
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Wow, unbelievable.

A school in Hempstead, Long Island, N.Y. renamed itself Barack Obama Elementary School in honor of his historic rise to the presidency, Nov. 21, 2008. The renaming was thanks to the initiative of the school's students who, who are predominately black and Hispanic.

Wow, elementary school students, DEMANDING their school's name be changed. B freaking S. Thank you to the teachers and parents, for furthering the messiah's rise to the top! YES!

Nick
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 01:10 PM

My goodness....shouldn't all this wait until he actually proves he's worthy? This is all a bit much for me.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 01:26 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i agree it might seem a bit much if we're to assume it was done as a reflection on his effectiveness as a political leader but, none of us are dumb enough to think the name change was made because of that.

we're all intelligent enough to recognize that this is a school comprised mostly by minority students for whom the accomplishment of a black man rising to the most powerful office in the free world can be seen as not only validation but inspiration suggesting to them that it really is true that one can become anything he/she wants (even if you're not white), and we are all intelligent enough to know (whether we want to admit it or not) that color, orientation, and gender (and to a lesser extent even religion) still hold many down in our society.

so in short, we're all intelligent enough to know that the name change was done more to serve the students with hope and inspiration than it was to honor or act as a testament to obama himself.

i know this goes without saying, but......

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 03:17 PM

Ken. While I do not think his reign as President will be a failure...what IF it turns out to be? What IF things get SO bad that even the idol can't fix it? What IF he truly does get "tested" by outside influences and fails? My position will not change...it is certainly too early to be doing all this. Guess I'm not that intelligent then....I really don't care. As far as "holding them down" is concerned....I cannot disagree. But I'd add that MANY don't give it a real good effort either. MANY choose the easy road...... I'm talking minorities here...ALL minorities. I also believe there are just as many caucasions that take the easy road with little or no effort either.

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 03:52 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Ken. While I do not think his reign as President will be a failure...what IF it turns out to be? What IF things get SO bad that even the idol can't fix it? What IF he truly does get "tested" by outside influences and fails? My position will not change...it is certainly too early to be doing all this. Guess I'm not that intelligent then....I really don't care. As far as "holding them down" is concerned....I cannot disagree. But I'd add that MANY don't give it a real good effort either. MANY choose the easy road...... I'm talking minorities here...ALL minorities. I also believe there are just as many caucasions that take the easy road with little or no effort either.
i agree with you on all counts. but the fact remains that he represents the breaking of the old white-male ceiling and regardless of how his administration turns out, precedence has been set, we now know as a country it is true that one can grow up to be anything one wants, even president.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
we now know as a country it is true that one can grow up to be anything one wants, even president.
It did not take this election to convince me of that. I've believed that for many more years than most here have been alive.
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 04:18 PM
GM

Quote:
It did not take this election to convince me of that. I've believed that for many more years than most here have been alive.
of course you have, that was my point

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i agree with you on all counts. but the fact remains that he represents the breaking of the old white-male ceiling and regardless of how his administration turns out, precedence has been set, we now know as a country it is true that one can grow up to be anything one wants, even president.
However, building him up, like many Liberals are doing, is setting him up for failure. And all that will do is make those that are racist believe they have a stronger case.

If he fails, so does this idea that 'anything can be acheived'. If he fails, it will not only be his fault becasue of his party, but it will be his fault because of his skin.

Once he has proven himself worthy of it, THEN rename the school. Otherwise, we have just created the opportunity for more hatred.

Just my $0.02.

Nick

PS - And do not question people's intellegence as a reason for their racism. Many were raised with the hatred ingrained in them. If you want to blame someone, blame the people that raised them.

Just my $0.04.
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 06:52 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post

PS - And do not question people's intellegence as a reason for their racism. Many were raised with the hatred ingrained in them. If you want to blame someone, blame the people that raised them.

Just my $0.04.
at some point (and i'll play the conservative here) one has to accept responsibility for his/her own actions and to blame the way i was raised is nothing more than a cop out. a racist is an ignorant --- at all ages and while you're correct in the sense that it is a learned behavior, it doesn't speak well for the person's intellect if they're not able to evolve beyond the hatred of their mentors. so not only is questioning their intelligence legit, so too is questioning their character and credibility as people.

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
at some point (and i'll play the conservative here) one has to accept responsibility for his/her own actions and to blame the way i was raised is nothing more than a cop out. a racist is an ignorant --- at all ages and while you're correct in the sense that it is a learned behavior, it doesn't speak well for the person's intellect if they're not able to evolve beyond the hatred of their mentors. so not only is questioning their intelligence legit, so too is questioning their character and credibility as people.
This coming from the person who claims that people 'need' welfare. Interesting ...

Nick
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
at some point (and i'll play the conservative here) one has to accept responsibility for his/her own actions and to blame the way i was raised is nothing more than a cop out.a racist is an ignorant --- at all ages and while you're correct in the sense that it is a learned behavior, it doesn't speak well for the person's intellect if they're not able to evolve beyond the hatred of their mentors. so not only is questioning their intelligence legit, so too is questioning their character and credibility as people.
help me out here Ken. you start by saying "at some point etc etc". When, (approximately of course as we all here are intelligent enough to know you couldn't possibly exact here), is that point? I'm curious because you then go on to lump everyone (all ages) as an ignorant something or other. ...and demeaning character and credibility. I guess what I'm asking, for those of us that are not as intelligent as others, where is that point? The point where peoples intelligence, character and credibility shouldn't be questioned?

The post sounds borderline hypocritical to me.
Unread 22 Nov 2008, 08:31 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
This coming from the person who claims that people 'need' welfare. Interesting ...

Nick
yep the same person who's not under any delusions that everyone in life has had the same opportunities or lucky breaks that I have had. while i take pride in my accomplishments and credit several of them to hard work, i'm not arrogant enough to recognize that a) i didn't have help along the way from those in positions to give it to me or b) i wasn't blessed with opportunities that many others never have.

and it's this sense of reality that allows me to see it's not a bad thing to lend a hand to those less fortunate. well that and a Christian upbringing also tends to instill that but that's another thread.

Unread 22 Nov 2008, 08:36 PM
GM

Quote:
help me out here Ken. you start by saying "at some point etc etc". When, (approximately of course as we all here are intelligent enough to know you couldn't possibly exact here), is that point? I'm curious because you then go on to lump everyone (all ages) as an ignorant something or other. ...and demeaning character and credibility. I guess what I'm asking, for those of us that are not as intelligent as others, where is that point? The point where peoples intelligence, character and credibility shouldn't be questioned?

The post sounds borderline hypocritical to me.
the minute one decides to call him/herself an adult.

i'm guessing that no one would argue that a kid living in the ghetto who saw his father kill a man when he was 3 should be given a free pass when he's 25 for killing someone. at the same point, an abused child shouldn't be given a free pass for becoming an abuser when he/she grows up, and one who is taught to hate and never matures past the point of hate is no different than the above examples.

all of which speak to the character, and credibility of a person.

Unread 23 Nov 2008, 01:58 AM
All Pro

Quote:
all of which speak to the character, and credibility of a person.
As does the trailer you continue to post........so much for your character or credibilty. McCain has lost, Obama has won, move on.....

Or better yet, why haven't you? After all the pro Obama things we have read from you I would think you would have thought of something better for a trailer?