Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

View Poll Results: Would you like to see spoons back?
Yes 36 81.82%
No 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01 Jun 2007, 09:29 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

In my opinion, if it takes the spoon for them to find the buys, they are not going to win anyway.
Unread 01 Jun 2007, 09:42 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc1483 View Post
In my opinion, if it takes the spoon for them to find the buys, they are not going to win anyway.
but to me that is not the point. The point is that it takes the fun out of the game. The whole point of doing this is to paruse through box scores, folloe some moo, and take the challenge of finding who YOU think you should buy...not relying on what others say you should.
Unread 01 Jun 2007, 09:49 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
but to me that is not the point. The point is that it takes the fun out of the game. The whole point of doing this is to paruse through box scores, folloe some moo, and take the challenge of finding who YOU think you should buy...not relying on what others say you should.
I hate to burst your bubble, but the REAL challenge (for the top three or four anyway) is to build spreadsheets that automatically pull all of the stats for all listed players and compute estimated dividends for each one. That's how I won the Monthly back in August 2005. PGA takes a little more work to build a spreadsheet that grabs stats, but I was able to do it. (Anyone want a copy?)

And like many have said, Eagles & even Shutouts do not necessarily = Monthly buys. Spoons should not impact a top Monthly player.
Unread 01 Jun 2007, 11:41 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofdeath View Post
So.... I've been here all day playing my arse off ... PGA, MLB buys... Riding the Moo etc...

Then here comes.... StormJR... misses everything alld ay... goes to a thread.. looks through it... checks out some box scores and makes his buys.. based on other people saying stuff...

After I was here all day busting my --- to get on the moo and look up divi's ETC.

See anything wrong with that?
No, no I don't. Spoons aren't going to hurt you any more than just buying the top buys. If your on the board doing the work, you will be rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzElvis View Post
Noo Noo Nooooo.

U start spooning and I will anti-spoon. Giambi just hit a HR.
Cool! Do it. As long as it makes some kind of sense, I'd love to figure those out as well. I'd rather see you spend some time putting a little thought into your other posts though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzElvis View Post
Here's an idea. See a stock over 100k? Go see why. Lazy people.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc1483 View Post
I agree.
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 12:53 AM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehuelsman View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but the REAL challenge (for the top three or four anyway) is to build spreadsheets that automatically pull all of the stats for all listed players and compute estimated dividends for each one. That's how I won the Monthly back in August 2005. PGA takes a little more work to build a spreadsheet that grabs stats, but I was able to do it. (Anyone want a copy?)

And like many have said, Eagles & even Shutouts do not necessarily = Monthly buys. Spoons should not impact a top Monthly player.
I'm interested in seeing the code. Not to actually use it here, but I'm a db programmer and more and more clients what excel crap back, so I'm looking to learn any excel I can.
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 01:22 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
what about the rest of the folks. for example those new folks who are trying to learn and compete on the newbie lb? or the folks who don't have access to inside info like divi formulae? it just may be the case that one or two of them actually try to finish as high as they can even if they realize winning is out of the question. and even more strangely some might actually take pride in the effort they put in to do so.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 02:11 AM
All Pro

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the REAL challenge (for the top three or four anyway) is to build spreadsheets that automatically pull all of the stats for all listed players and compute estimated dividends for each one. Spoons should not impact a top Monthly player.
Agreed.

I sometimes spent too much time trying to either decipher a spoon or create a good one rather than focusing on trading.

I suggest a PM distribution list for those that want to have a little fun with spoons. No reason they have to be a part of the boards.
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 09:03 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:

No...I never said anything about being 1st on a monthly...in fact in other posts below I said it doesnt hurt the competitions. Because by the time you see the spoon, others have already bought it and are a little bit of moooooo ahead of you now. An IMO, spooning will NOT help you win a monthly. period. All that spoons do is take the fun out of the game. Like a few others said below, why not just have someone post a list each night of all the estimated divis....because if we're going to take the fun out of the game we might as well do it right....
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 09:43 AM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
All that spoons do is take the fun out of the game.

That is a matter of opinion, not a fact. For some, many it appears, these things actually make the game MORE fun, not take the fun out of it. If they are not fun for you, then don't look. If they are fun and you like them, then you can look and try to figure them out. Simply enough!
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 09:48 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingoff View Post
That is a matter of opinion, not a fact. For some, many it appears, these things actually make the game MORE fun, not take the fun out of it. If they are not fun for you, then don't look. If they are fun and you like them, then you can look and try to figure them out. Simply enough!
but what if you hop in to a thread not knowing its a spoon thread....
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 10:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Unread 02 Jun 2007, 10:16 AM

My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 12:54 PM
1st Round Draft Pick

Unread 02 Jun 2007, 12:58 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

i finally thought of analogy...

Take golf, for example. Part of the challenge of golf is that you have to take all the variables into account. The wind, the slope of the green, the pin location, etc. So the professionals have a caddy that helps out and gets that information for them. Well, what if the PGA decided to just give out all the information at the start of each hole? So now, there is no challenge. You just tee up your ball and hit. And it does not become fun anymore.

Same thing here. Part of the challenge is that you have to do your research on the variables of jockstocks. If you have a spreadsheet that helps you like a caddy, so be it. But having the information present on message boards without giving any effort to make your buys presents absolutely no challenge. You just "tee" up your stock, and click buy. And that is not fun either.
Unread 02 Jun 2007, 03:05 PM
2nd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
i finally thought of analogy...

Take golf, for example. Part of the challenge of golf is that you have to take all the variables into account. The wind, the slope of the green, the pin location, etc. So the professionals have a caddy that helps out and gets that information for them. Well, what if the PGA decided to just give out all the information at the start of each hole? So now, there is no challenge. You just tee up your ball and hit. And it does not become fun anymore.

Same thing here. Part of the challenge is that you have to do your research on the variables of jockstocks. If you have a spreadsheet that helps you like a caddy, so be it. But having the information present on message boards without giving any effort to make your buys presents absolutely no challenge. You just "tee" up your stock, and click buy. And that is not fun either.

The hints are not telling anyone that a guy is a buy or not a buy. It is just telling you something that can be easily seen by looking at a scorecard or box score. Nobody that I have seen in my limited experience that Tiger Woods will get 8% because he got a eagle (DIDN'T HAPPEN, JUST A FOR INSTANCE).

Staying with your analogy though. A thread that has hints in it are more like a golf scorecard telling the player that a hole is 295 yards. You still have to know all the factors that go into the hole, like you said. In this game, a hint is given on who scored a good shot, but you still have to know all the factors that go into what kind of return the player will give you the next day. Staying with Tiger - just because he got an eagle (HE DIDN'T, JUST A FOR INSTANCE) doesn't always mean he is a buy. Like yesterday, had Davis Love had an Eagle, he would NOT have been a buy since he had 5 Dbl Bogs. I was hoping he would have eagles just so there would be some people that would buy him not knowing that he got 5 DBs. So like you said, there are other variables that go into this game. An eagle or Ace is just one aspect. Sure, it is an important aspect, but not the be all end all to be a monthly/quarterly/yearly buy.