Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 13 Apr 2007, 01:06 PM
A lover not a fighter

Send a message via AIM to ZeroCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by six24 View Post
here is an interesting take in my opinion from Jason Whitlock

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html
Heard this guy in an interview this morning. Great find.

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
" -Dr.Seuss
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 01:15 PM
A lover not a fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldzppln View Post
Jason Whitlock is an idiot, and just as much an opportunist as the people he takes jabs at in his commentary (he was on the Today Show this morning). His take on things is just as absurd as the next - he blames the problems facing the black community on music. Take out the "anti-black" part of his statement and the same applies to rock music. JW knows what the root of the problem really is, but he doesn't want to open that can of worms.
I think that music plays a huge part in the black community. Bigger then anything any political or community leader has to offer. Is it right? not in my opinion but it seems to be the case.
There is nobody out there to equal the voice of MLK and probobly never will be. Al Sharpton is a joke and I agree uses terroristic actions to make his point. He is not a leader that should even be mentioned in the same book as MLK. IMO he is part of what keeps this country from being united racially. This is not th 50's anymore and black people have achieved so much in the last 40 years. Someone needs to step and bring some unity and leadership to not only the black community but America as a whole.

" -Dr.Seuss

Unread 13 Apr 2007, 10:04 PM
Lost in the Woods(again)

The rap musicians better watch out. Al Sharpton is coming after you. A local radio station reports now that Imus is off the air Sharpton is now focusing his energy cleaning up the rap scene. We'll see how long that last before he goes back to the same old song and dance routine.
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 05:44 AM
Standout

Unread 14 Apr 2007, 11:41 PM
7th Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldzppln View Post
... Take out the "anti-black" part of his statement and the same applies to rock music. JW knows what the root of the problem really is, but he doesn't want to open that can of worms.
I'd like to see the same argument made for rock music of today. What is the root of the problem the he and you are unwilling to say? I agreed with Whitlock, it wasn't just the music but the whole of the hip-hop culture.

If you want a better commentary from someone without as much baggage as Whitlock check out this column.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...3217110.column
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 07:29 AM
1st Round Draft Pick

Send a message via ICQ to six24

"In five minutes, the entire episode of Imus and his strange idea of humor will be older than his hairstyle. Lessons learned will be lessons forgotten."

Saddly this is probably the truest statement.
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 09:04 PM
20CUBS16

Send a message via Yahoo to jk592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music Express View Post
Sharpton..........................goes back to the same old song and dance routine.

I have never been a fan of Don Imus, and may never be one IF he gets back on the airwaves (free or satellite). I DO believe that the comment, while possibly in poor taste, it does not warrant him losing his job. Chin, if Reverend AL (sing along, Aaron...........I KNOW you know the words) read your post the way I doctored it, YOU may be coming under attack. I think this is all a bunch of Any "activist" can take anything and spin it to further their agenda. Al & Jesse Marblemouth need to police their own communities before they take on everyone else.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/18945-de...-joshua-norris

June '04 Monthly Winner
August '07 Pick 10 Winner
September '07 Pick 10 Winner
October '07 Pick 10 Winner
December '07 Pick 10 Winner
January '08 Pick 10 Winner
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 09:06 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Hell,

Al, Jesse, Don and everyone else who want to voice their opinions need to just go and shove it.

Its all getting old, and its part of the reason there will never be world peace.

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 10:40 PM
Lost in the Woods(again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk592 View Post
Chin, if Reverend AL (sing along, Aaron...........I KNOW you know the words) read your post the way I doctored it, YOU may be coming under attack.
I hope he does read it. I haven't been a good knock down argument in over a year.
Unread 16 Apr 2007, 04:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Don Imus is not the problem

THe black community's biggest problem is the black community not having the right role models. Sure maybe 15% girls follow advice of an Oprah Winfrey and maybe 20% of black males follow a Tiger, Jordan, etc. The majority want to be Lil Kim or 50 Cent. Ok my %'s may be way off but what I am saying is with every rapper tossin' Ice, Bling and Benjamins around it is easy to be seduced by the lifestyle. Heck I see white kids walkin' around with pants saggin', underwear showin', hats twisted to the side with the skinniest of facial hair. Some reason the hug life is vogue. Music and Hip hop have played a huge factor in the declination of society. Ok some could say rock and roll, hippies et all. They may have a point. Just think there should be more Kanye Wests, Carrie Underwoods, Mary J, etc. Eminem can be funny but does white America worry about his influence? Probably not. I myself get tired of all the White, Black, Brown, Red, etc. talk. Wish we could live in a society where an Imus can say something freely like Rutger's were a bunch of nappy headed hoes out there. Then someone would call him the crypt keeper and then move on. Moreover if people do not like his views or form of entertainment why not just stop paying him. If ratings drop, drop him. If they soar let him be a ignorant bastage. Just stop focusing on him. He makes a comment and noone reports it, blows it out of proportion and it barely even happened.

You'all don't wanna know what I think the problem with America is. Besides it's leaders are pretty much a joke from Bush to Rice. I believe the media is too big and too influenced to be taken seriously. If you flipped on CNN, ESPN, etc. you will absolutely believe whatever they are selling. Look at this Muslim people. He is who we think U should hate. Grr F Osama, F Geoharra. Too many reporters and lawyers. Not enough teachers and role models. Too much You tube and Myspace, not enough books poets or liberal arts. Xbox and Playstation has made our children stupid, fat, and unimaginative. My daughter must read for 30 mins before she gets Spongebob. SHe must swim or do something athletic 30 mins before she gets computer or game time. It's on us as parents to force the issue. F the media. That's all I got.
Unread 16 Apr 2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzElvis View Post
Too many reporters and lawyers. Not enough teachers and role models. Too much You tube and Myspace, not enough books poets or liberal arts. Xbox and Playstation has made our children stupid, fat, and unimaginative. My daughter must read for 30 mins before she gets Spongebob. SHe must swim or do something athletic 30 mins before she gets computer or game time. It's on us as parents to force the issue. F the media. That's all I got.
I couldn't agree more. I always enjoyed playing baseball with the neighborhood kids, riding bikes, or just plain running around. Anymore, it's "Do you wanna come over and play video games?" I've lived the "new era" and I still made it ... my parents preached getting a job, I got one. My parents preached being outside during the day, and most days I was. Had my parents not have said anything, I probably would have turned into a vegetable.

Nick
Unread 16 Apr 2007, 03:26 PM
A lover not a fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk592 View Post
I have never been a fan of Don Imus, and may never be one IF he gets back on the airwaves (free or satellite). I DO believe that the comment, while possibly in poor taste, it does not warrant him losing his job. Chin, if Reverend AL (sing along, Aaron...........I KNOW you know the words) read your post the way I doctored it, YOU may be coming under attack. I think this is all a bunch of Any "activist" can take anything and spin it to further their agenda. Al & Jesse Marblemouth need to police their own communities before they take on everyone else.
Great toe tappin tune.

Here's the wonderful media at work;

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/89728-0

" -Dr.Seuss
Unread 16 Apr 2007, 04:01 PM
Standout

very,very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzElvis View Post
THe black community's biggest problem is the black community not having the right role models. Sure maybe 15% girls follow advice of an Oprah Winfrey and maybe 20% of black males follow a Tiger, Jordan, etc. The majority want to be Lil Kim or 50 Cent. Ok my %'s may be way off but what I am saying is with every rapper tossin' Ice, Bling and Benjamins around it is easy to be seduced by the lifestyle. Heck I see white kids walkin' around with pants saggin', underwear showin', hats twisted to the side with the skinniest of facial hair. Some reason the hug life is vogue. Music and Hip hop have played a huge factor in the declination of society. Ok some could say rock and roll, hippies et all. They may have a point. Just think there should be more Kanye Wests, Carrie Underwoods, Mary J, etc. Eminem can be funny but does white America worry about his influence? Probably not. I myself get tired of all the White, Black, Brown, Red, etc. talk. Wish we could live in a society where an Imus can say something freely like Rutger's were a bunch of nappy headed hoes out there. Then someone would call him the crypt keeper and then move on. Moreover if people do not like his views or form of entertainment why not just stop paying him. If ratings drop, drop him. If they soar let him be a ignorant bastage. Just stop focusing on him. He makes a comment and noone reports it, blows it out of proportion and it barely even happened.

You'all don't wanna know what I think the problem with America is. Besides it's leaders are pretty much a joke from Bush to Rice. I believe the media is too big and too influenced to be taken seriously. If you flipped on CNN, ESPN, etc. you will absolutely believe whatever they are selling. Look at this Muslim people. He is who we think U should hate. Grr F Osama, F Geoharra. Too many reporters and lawyers. Not enough teachers and role models. Too much You tube and Myspace, not enough books poets or liberal arts. Xbox and Playstation has made our children stupid, fat, and unimaginative. My daughter must read for 30 mins before she gets Spongebob. SHe must swim or do something athletic 30 mins before she gets computer or game time. It's on us as parents to force the issue. F the media. That's all I got.
Unread 16 Apr 2007, 05:19 PM
Hall of Famer

What have we learned? After all this time..we still have shootings, drug rate sky rocketing, teen pregnancies out of control, and an education program that feels 3rd world. Seeing these Jackie Robinson tribute's, Pat Tillman walks, etc. etc. WE HAVEN'T LEARNED A THING! I don't have the answers. I don't even remember the questions. Wish someone could figure things out.