Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 03 Jul 2007, 01:35 PM
GM

Could I really make a story up about some not like the Clinton. Here is a story from the Guardian newspaper in the U.K. This is in case you don't want to believe something like this could be written.

Brownback Writes of 'Hatred' of Clintons

Friday June 29, 2007 10:31 PM

By SAM HANANEL

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sam Brownback says he harbored a ``hatred'' of Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton until he experienced a religious awakening in the mid-1990s.

Brownback, a Republican presidential hopeful, details in a new book how the change in outlook led him to make a stunning apology to Hillary Clinton a few years later during a Senate prayer breakfast.

``I was considering what I should say when I confronted all the anger that I held for the Clintons,'' the Kansas senator writes in the book, ``From Power to Purpose: A Remarkable Journey of Faith and Compassion.''

``I thought, I hate them for what they are doing to the country and I feel justified in hating them for it,'' he writes.

But Brownback says he realized there is never justification for hating someone regardless of their actions.

He told the prayer breakfast audience that he used to have a ``hatred for Bill and Hillary'' because of their politics. He spotted Sen. Clinton in the crowd and, speaking directly to her, said he ``realized that those thoughts of hatred were wrong. I apologized to her for them. I don't know what she thought, but I believe it made a difference.''

Religion permeates nearly every corner of Brownback's book, written with Jim Nelson Black and officially slated for release July 3. His soul searching began in 1995, hastened by two dramatic events in his personal life. His marriage was in real trouble - he was ``on track'' to getting divorced - as he devoted all his energy to the conservative agenda that fueled the Republican takeover of the House in 1994.

Even more traumatic was his 1995 bout with cancer and surgery to remove malignant melanoma from his right side. Brownback says he finally found peace when he resolved to devote himself to God.

``One night I got down on my knees and said 'OK, Lord, that's it. I give up. It's all Yours,''' Brownback writes.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 03 Jul 2007, 02:23 PM
GM

Hillary was on the road somewhere the other day and she had a classic lib****l moment. I would not want Alan Colmes to accuse me of labeling people. And of course lib***ls would not call anyone names right Ann Coulter?

Back to Hillary she was talking about the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. Mrs. Clinton talked about there needed to be some changes to it. I will paraphrase that this adminstration has not given it enough money.

Later on yesterday I had a flashback to what Senator Kerry said during one of the debates in 2004. He also said the NCLBA also need some changes also. I am going to take an educated guess and say that Senator Kerry and Senator Clinton were thinking the same thing.

I am trying to remember if Senator Kerry won the presidential election in 2004?

Why was this a classic lib***l moment Peter? The democrats keep saying and thinking the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Republicans tend to do this also but they can change to any subject necessary for the times.

When was the last time democrats were not worried about the things they complain about even to this day. Some classics are education, the environment, universal healthcare etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It is eventually going to happen that people are going to realize what I am saying if they don't realize it already. And there are many more people that do realize what I am saying that I can possibly imagine.

Another reason this is a classic lib***l is that only money can solve the problem. Well maybe it can to a certain extent but I do have a question about this.

What areas is Mrs. Clinton going to take the money away from in order for the NCLBA to have more money?

Boy I now remember to ask others if you could ask Mrs. Clinton any question(s) you wanted what would they be?

Other questions I would ask are who is Vince Foster?
Did you ever shake former Senator Goldwater's hand?
Are you still baking cookies for Chelsea?
Are you and William getting along o.k.?
Speaking of William what will his role in your adminstration be if you are elected president?
What was your role as the director of Wal Mart in 80's?
If the fairness doctrine were to be brought back how would that work?

I will probably think of even better question latter on.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Reason: Added a word to make it easier to read.
Unread 03 Jul 2007, 02:30 PM
GM

I did think of another question already?

Are you going to be giving William a cushy little job in your administration like "Wolfy" gave his girlfriend at the World Bank?

Unread 05 Jul 2007, 12:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

I think there are several other questions that should be asked but will never be answered. With regard to ANY AND ALL of the typical Dem issues, the question would be:

What SPECIFICALLY are you going to do with regard to <enter your favorite Dem issue>? I'm so sick of "We can and must do better." Up until the Contract With America, the Dems had controlled both houses of Congress for how long? And during that entire time did Education get better or worse? Did the "War on Poverty" make any headway? Did the race issues improve? Etc., etc., etc.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 05 Jul 2007, 08:28 AM
GM

More questions for Mrs. Clinton.

What specifically are you going to do about the environment?
What specifically are you going to do about education?
What specifically are you going to do about universal health care for all?
What specifically are you going to do poverty?
What specifically are you going to do lessen the gap between the rich and the poor?
What specifically are these tax cuts for the middle class supposed to do?
What specific areas are the funds going to be cut in order to do all of the things I have mentioned before?

These two questions very well may throw Mrs. Clinton way off but I would like to know.

What specifically are you going to do about the war on terror?
The typical response by Democrats for why they voted for the use of military force in the country of Iraq late in 2002 was the president made it sound like it was vitally important but the president lied about the reasons we should go to Iraq in the first place and I would just like to know if you specifically Mrs. Clinton did any homework before your vote and had the president at any time before that vote lied on any other issues and if the president had lied prior to late 2002 why did you trust him on this matter?

I very much doubt I would even get an answer to my last question. And if I did it would basically reiterate that the president was the one that lied not her.

I may have to grin and bear it and watch what kind of questions Mrs. Clinton is even answering on the campaign trail right now. I could be wrong but my last two questions are not to high on Mrs. Clinton's list of questions she want to answers.

Unread 05 Jul 2007, 08:46 PM
GM

What specifically Mrs. Clinton has been the greatest democrat success story since the end of World War II besides spending the people's money?

I have always wondered about this one.

So sorry I can think of questions for Mrs. Clinton at any time.

Unread 07 Jul 2007, 09:43 AM
GM

How specifically are we supposed to eliminate the effects of Global Warming Mrs. Clinton?

Unread 07 Jul 2007, 12:18 PM
GM

What specific changes need to happen with the U.S. tax code Mrs. Clinton?

A follow up question is are raising taxes part of your plan Mrs. Clinton?

Unread 07 Jul 2007, 12:21 PM
GM

Why is it almost every time I see video of wildfires on television there is underbrush that is just making the wildfire that much harder to contain?

Unread 14 Jul 2007, 11:09 AM
GM

Mrs. Clinton is heard talking at a NAACP forum in Detroit and she was overhead saying that she agreed the amount of people involved should be smaller when it comes to forums when it was suggested by former Senator Edwards.

I wonder if Mrs. Clinton thinks only a limited amount of people should be allowed to even talk about her and her ideas?

Please do not misunderstand this is about public forums and not debates.

I have a question though; what is the real difference between the two?

The purpose of both a public forum and a debate is to get the message out right?

I wonder if these two are having trouble getting their message out?

In Mrs. Clinton's case specifically how could this possibly be?

Story Here

And here I thought Mrs. Clinton was one of the smartest U.S. senators ever. Even though she does not even realize a microphone might be on?

In this day and age a candidate whomever they are better be very aware of their surroundings.

It would be great fun to really find out what Mrs. Clinton thinks of this whole election process.

Wasn't one of the purposes of Feingold/McCain to limit the amount of money that could be donated at one time by someone so more people would be involved in the political process? And it seems to me that these two want to limit how many people can speak their own mind but only in public forums.

And last but not least I wonder how Mrs. Clinton is going to take advantage of this situation? I am sure her machine is trying to figure that out.

Unread 14 Jul 2007, 11:30 AM
GM

In my last article there was an interesting poll about Mrs. Clinton and I will post it here verbatim.

Are you more or less likely to vote for Hillary Clinton because she’s married to Bill Clinton?

More likely. Bill can help her avoid his mistakes.

Less likely. She needs to distance herself from his past.

I must confess that when certain things that are discussed about Mrs. Clinton I sometimes think of William also. I must also confess that I do not think Hillary has much of a chance if William is not involved in some way.

These two ideas combined makes it very tricky for Mrs. Clinton.

Will Mrs. Clinton be able to pull this off? You are just going to have to wait and see.

I would hope that people would vote for candidates because of their ideas. But I also know that is not always going to be people's motivation for voting for a candidate whomever it might be. There are many factors on why people vote the way that they do.

Unread 14 Jul 2007, 11:40 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

ok so i've followed this for weeks now and i'm forced to ask, what are your thoughts about hillary? you've posted several things none of which give any substance about why you seem to dislike her. you've yet to address her stance on anything (perhaps your questions were intended to imply something i don't know).

it's clear you have issues with her but you've yet to identify them or substantiate you're dislike for her. i'm not the biggest hillary fan myself but you've not offered one thing that would either persuade or dissuade me from voting for her. do you have any thoughts on her and her take on the issues or is it just because she sits on the wrong side of the aisle?

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 01:17 PM
GM

I think this would be a good time for me to stop talking about Mrs. Clinton.

I think people could make a pretty educated guess on why I dislike Mrs. Clinton.

Why do I have such disdain for Mrs. Clinton when my last story was about what former Senator Edwards had said to Mrs. Clinton? I can't even really answer that question and that may be a very good reason to stop talking about Mrs. Clinton altogether.

Another reason I think I should completely stop posting about Mrs. Clinton is that most of my comments about her specifically do not really add anything of value to the story. As I was reading the last two pages of this thread I can clearly see this in some of my posts.

But I really must say that I am really somewhat conflicted about this. When I was asking some of my questions that I thought were good questions do I just stop asking questions because I think I might say something that does not add something of value to this discussion about Mrs. Clinton.

Maybe there is a way that I can discuss Mrs. Clinton in a way that I can keep my own comments about her that do not really add anything of value to whatever I am discussing. But as of this moment because I can't think of a way to do that right now I think I should just stop talking about her in such a way that adds value to the discussion.

And please do not take my comments as something that I think I should not be discussing Mrs. Clinton at all. I just think it would be a really good idea for me just take a step back and examine my own comments in this thread so far when I have discuss Mrs. Clinton. Eventually I may very well discuss things about Mrs. Clinton again but in a way that is much more constructive than it has been in the past.

Unread 14 Jul 2007, 02:26 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i don't think you should feel the need to stop commenting on her for a second. i'm just wondering what exactly you find fault with as far as her voting record, past performance as a Senator from NY, past activities as first lady, her political wrangling, proposals, POAs, and campaign promises.

i don't fault you for not supporting her, i'm just curious as to why exactly. what is it about her or her record that you don't like. why do you feel voting for her is a bad thing?

the questions are legit but you offer no evidence of her positions and why/why not they are supportable.

again, i can't see any need for you to stop showing your displeasure with her, my post was simply a question as to why you, yourself, feel the way you do.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 09:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
you've yet to address her stance on anything
Maybe that's because it is hard to pin her down on her stance since it depends on what time of day it it and what group she's talking too as to what her "stance" is.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright