Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 16 Jun 2020, 02:23 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default abbreviated NBA

Quote:
The league's decision to invite only 22 teams to resume play at Disney World in Florida next month and a season interrupted by COVID-19 was a body blow for players on the omitted squads - the Delete 8.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-gives-t...6835--nba.html

this will be interesting...
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 17 Jun 2020, 08:31 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

seems to be something of a Mickey Mouse situation regardless of how it all settles...same with MLB and the NHL

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 17 Jun 2020, 09:41 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

baseball??...may be doomed...this season for sure

8 owners are worried about being sued by players for something or other...likely an excuse to get out of last agreement.

without people in the stands, though...there is no 'viable' payday for them.
Not the players fault
Not the owners fault
salaries have to be based on what comes in!!
start over....sorta
this 'pro-rated' pay per game they speak of is still based on a salary from days gone by and does not reflect the new reality of way less money to go around.

flat rates!! a percentage of gate receipts....that would be the 'safe' way to economically approach...with some tv money to back it up
I think its safe to say paying attendance numbers are going to be a fraction of what it was.

Therefore, ALL spectator sports must "flatten the curve" that sporting salaries have enjoyed the last many years.
I think acting is also subject to big pay cuts for the same reason!
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 17 Jun 2020, 11:33 AM
#3 of 80+ trillionaires!

Have you heard (or your best guess) who those owners are? I am not sure they realize that even huge baseball fans like me have survived OK without games so far and could go on with life without them as part of the new "normal"
Unread 17 Jun 2020, 04:37 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

nothing mentioning which teams that i can find...

Quote:
On Monday, commissioner Rob Manfred said he's no longer confident a season will take place, and apparently some owners want it that way.

"There are definitely more than eight owners who don’t want to play," a player agent said, according to Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

It's been reported that Manfred has the authority to implement a shortened schedule with the expected length running between 50-60 games (a theoretical 48-game schedule is not being considered). However, after the players rejected the most recent proposal from the league, Manfred is apparently reluctant to impose his schedule because it may result in a grievance from the union.

Manfred needs support from 75% of owners (23) to unilaterally implement the schedule.
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1977514
Unread 17 Jun 2020, 05:05 PM
Head Coach

I have heard some ex-players say the players and union have made some ridiculous counter offers and said stupid things that have now backed them into a corner. In my mind both sides make way to much money and I'm not backing the players because they are less rich!
Players demand to be paid same amount as was agreed if stands were full. League as a whole will have massive losses every day games are played until post season national TV contracts kick in.
What percentage of players is the union helping? Hard for me to believe the hundreds of players who haven't reached their first free agent year contract want to pass up a few hundred thousands for 70 - 80 games. And what about the 420 minor leaguers who would have received major league pay as rosters were to expand to 40 this season only.
Unread 18 Jun 2020, 09:39 AM
JSAdmin

One thing to keep in mind before any 'concern' for losses by the owners from no fans in the stands...........they'll more than make that up with increased valuations

Plus, if people aren't in the stands, that means more are watching on TV...which gives them the ammo to demand more for network contracts.

That said, too many players think they should be paid for work they're not putting in....becoming too typical an American expectation

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 18 Jun 2020, 01:13 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
One thing to keep in mind before any 'concern' for losses by the owners from no fans in the stands...........they'll more than make that up with increased valuations.
Plus, if people aren't in the stands, that means more are watching on TV...which gives them the ammo to demand more for network contracts.

That said, too many players think they should be paid for work they're not putting in....becoming too typical an American expectation
I disagree with is increased valuations should be considered for what players get paid this year. Just like you can't spend stock price gains unless you sell the owners can't spend increased valuations unless they sell. Also, players will be one year closer to arbitration or free agency which usually means large pay jump.

As for TV, I would think network and local contracts were locked into months or years ago. Advertising rates probably have some flexibility.

Unread 18 Jun 2020, 07:50 PM
JSAdmin

maybe so....but if my house goes up in value, I have equity I didn't have to pay for...equity I can then utilize in other ways, without having to sell the house

I don't know...it's all above my pay grade

Unread 19 Jun 2020, 12:07 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

I disagree with your increased valuation theory too.

the only added tv audience will be people that would normally go to a ballgame.

so your sacrificing gate receipts for a tv audience...and you think that increases the value of the team?

no gate receipts
no concession sales
MLB paraphernalia sales may move the needle slightly
stadium?...must be a cost involved for most.

now if all contracts were 1/4rd....then i could see the value of the team go up...maybe!!

but as long as what money there is coming in is being paid out... it's impossible or there be witchcraft afoot

side (related): I'd bet a solid nickel that finding a buyer for any sport franchise at this time would net the buyer a pretty sweet deal based on what teams were worth last year. it would be interesting to see current valuations.

Unread 19 Jun 2020, 09:05 AM
JSAdmin

my increased valuation 'theory' is based on the fact teams have historically increased in value simply from continuing to exist.......you're right, we currently have no way of knowing how those valuations will be effected by unprecedented times like we're in now, however even following strike years, valuations still increased

as I said...all above my pay grade