Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > The REAL Financial World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The REAL Financial World A place to discuss investments you've made or are considering
....remembering these ARE just discussions.

Unread 04 Oct 2013, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default Twitter To IPO

Quote:
Twitter revealed its confidential IPO filing today, clearing the way for one of largest and most hyped IPOs since Facebook.

The filing reveals that the company is still growing, but is losing money. It also provides some insight into which of the major insiders will be making a sizable wealth from the IPO.
Full story here.
Unread 04 Oct 2013, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

No surprise. No clear path to monetary victory, ATM. I'd steer clear, but then again, I have a dislike for unprofitable companies. Another reason I hate the Silicon Valley way of thinking: If you build it, money will come.

Nick
Unread 05 Oct 2013, 09:11 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

We could start a new company called Twitterbookedin and the eventual IPO could be record breaking...still with no profit

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 10 Oct 2013, 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
If you build it, money will come.
My question has always been for this internet entities like Facebook and Twitter has been: what have they really built? Or what do they really have?

They really haven't built anything tangible. It's all based on ad revenue.

Once the "next best thing" comes along, these companies can go from high on the hog to bankrupt in literally a couple months. What assets do they really have other than an office building (that they probably are leasing) and a few computers (again, that they are probably leasing). Once these internet companies begin to lose their footing, they almost free fall straight to bankruptcy...but of course not until after all the "principal partners" have cashed in.

Unread 16 Oct 2013, 03:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Twitter Inc revealed on Tuesday a tripling in quarterly losses as it prepares to list on the New York Stock Exchange in one of the year's most anticipated IPOs.

The online messaging service's decision to go with the older exchange deals a blow to the tech-heavy Nasdaq, which bungled Facebook Inc's 2012 offering. Twitter is now expected to kick off its investor roadshow on October 28 where it will pitch its offering to Wall Street before shares start trade in mid-November, two sources familiar with the situation said Tuesday.

Full story here
Unread 17 Oct 2013, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
My question has always been for this internet entities like Facebook and Twitter has been: what have they really built? Or what do they really have?

They really haven't built anything tangible. It's all based on ad revenue.

Once the "next best thing" comes along, these companies can go from high on the hog to bankrupt in literally a couple months. What assets do they really have other than an office building (that they probably are leasing) and a few computers (again, that they are probably leasing). Once these internet companies begin to lose their footing, they almost free fall straight to bankruptcy...but of course not until after all the "principal partners" have cashed in.
Indeed. This is the Catch-22 with Internet businesses (and I run a handful). But, alas, the barrier to entry to market is what drives people there (including myself). With little to no capital somebody can start a business (almost) literally overnight.

Nick
Unread 07 Nov 2013, 12:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Social media darling Twitter's stock debuted Thursday on Wall Street at a trading price of $45.10 — well above the $26 a share initial offering price the company set.

It appeared, traders say, that there were no problems with the launch of the stock.
Story here.
Unread 07 Nov 2013, 08:36 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

I'd bet they made damn sure everything went smoothly.
Appears it has.
I do NOT trust it.
no one should...its a money grab!
It's 'worth' is its IPO price (if that!)....and I still won't touch it.
The 'selloff' will be slower and 'they' (the select few) will profit much....ahead of the social networking site for the next generation.

**jinx,jinx,double jinx....fan erasies**
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 08 Nov 2013, 09:42 AM
Hall of Famer

The Facebook IPO looked and seemed, to me, to be nothing but a money grab...with people in the "know" cashing out asap while trying to prop the stock up so others will buy it.

The Twitter IPO appeared, again to me, that there were actually more buyers than sellers (opposite of the Facebook IPO)...so it certainly doesn't seem to be as nefarious as what the Facebook situation seemed.

Regardless...I still don't see how there can be that much "value" into a non-tangible entity...but that is what much of the "new" American economy is, imo.
Unread 30 Dec 2013, 10:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Shares of the microblogging site are down more than 5% Monday, pushing Twitter’s stock price briefly below $60. It’s the second day of a sell-off. On Friday, Twitter’s shares dropped 13%, erasing more than $5 billion of its market capitalization.

On Monday, by late morning, Twitter lost an additional $2 billion in its market cap.

The rapid sell-off in Twitter’s stock comes after an epic rally pushed the stock up 182% from its Nov. 6 $26 initial public offering price.

Even with this two-day sell-off, Twitter shares remain up 130% from the IPO price, and it is still one of the year’s best-performing IPOs.
Story here.