742 Evergreen Terrace

OPENING CEREMONIES TOMORROW!!!

WOO HOO!!
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 09:25 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

looking forward to it!

here's hoping there's snow in the forecast soon

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 02:17 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Scary news just came across my email:

A luger from Georgia has been injured during a training run crash at Whistler, and medics have administereed CPR.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/skeleton/n...5.html?cid=rss

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili suffered a major crash and was hurled off the track at one of the fastest points of the Whistler Sliding Centre on Friday during his second of two training runs.

The 21-year-old was near the bottom of the track on the final 270-degree turn when he hit one side of the wall, crashed into the other, and was thrown off his sled and over the wall. He appeared to hit a metal pole on the side of the track after he flew over the wall.

The accident occurred on the outrun, where we would have been traveling about 148 kilometres an hour.

Let's pray that he will be ok.

Unread 12 Feb 2010, 03:05 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default Why this track means fear

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1458556/

Reason: shortening up the thread
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 03:42 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default For those asking what the opening ceremonies was all about:

Update: Changes to Opening Ceremony

Out of respect for Georgian luge athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili, who passed away in a tragic accident earlier today at The Whistler Sliding Centre, flags were lowered to half-mast during the Opening Ceremony of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The Georgian National Olympic Committee and its athletes wore black armbands and a black mark was placed on the Georgian flag to symbolize their mourning. International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge, on behalf of the IOC, International Federations (IF) and VANOC, made a statement about the athlete’s untimely death and expressed sincere condolences.

Vancouver, BC ―“We are an idea in the process of being realized/we are young/we are cultures strung together then woven into a tapestry/and the design is what makes us more than the sum total of our history/we are an experiment going right for a change/with influences that range from a to zed/ and yes we say zed instead of zee/we are the true north /strong and free/and what’s more /is that we didn’t just say it/we made it be.”

With these words as part of We Are More, apowerful contemporary ode on patriotism by Canadian slam poet Shane Koyczan, Canada welcomed the world’s best winter athletes to Vancouver tonight at the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.-

David Atkins, executive producer and artistic director, and Ignatius Jones, artistic director, created and produced the ceremony with a Canadian and international artistic team including director of design Doug Paraschuk, director of music Dave Pierce and director of choreography Jean Grand-Maître.

Symposiums with Canadians from across the country guided the process and created the defining framework: “Canada is an adventure that has just begun ― compassionate and creative, subtle and courageous, innovative and daring. Canada is fire in the ice.”

The wardrobe for many of the headliners was created by Canadian international fashion designers Dean and Dan Caten of Dsquared2.

The night’s celebrations started with a daring jump by snowboarder Johnny Lyall through a giant set of Olympic Rings as the live audience was engaged in the dramatic countdown to the start of the ceremony.

As an estimated global audience of more than a billion watched, members of the Lil’wat, Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh ― the Four Host First Nations ― welcomed the world to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games through speakers Levi Nelson, Lil’wat, Quelemia Sparrow, Musqueam, Shamantsut, Squamish, and Dennis Thomas, Tsleil-Waututh.

Surrounded by four welcome poles, one for each of the Four Host First Nations, more than 300 young First Nations, Inuit and Métis performers danced in an unprecedented gathering of Aboriginal youth from every region and language family within Canada, sharing their rich and diverse culture amongst themselves and with the world.

More than 2,600 athletes from 82 National Olympic Committees entered the stadium led by their country’s flagbearer. All teams were greeted warmly by the audience with a particularly enthusiastic welcome to the home team from Canada. Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado, the first of many headliners involved in the event, paid tribute to the athletes in the high-energy duet Bang the Drum.-

With the theme “landscape of a dream,” the audience was transported across Canada, from the Prairies to the peaks of mountain tops, the depths of the ocean, and through its varied seasons as BC Place transformed into different landscapes through images projected onto all surfaces, including the building’s roof fabric, stages, screens, and members of the audience dressed all in white. Poetry, recited throughout the ceremony by renowned Canadian actor Donald Sutherland, added depth to the show.-

In a remarkable transition, a night sky filled with the shimmering aurora borealis (northern lights), constellations and an enormous spirit bear gave way to ocean depths as a pod of orca whales migrated across the stage, spraying water from their blowholes.

Later, in a sequence inspired by Canadian artist Emily Carr, ancient totem poles were transformed into a towering stand of Douglas firs. Members of the Alberta Ballet and a corp of local dancers, performed beneath the towering leafy boughs as Sarah McLachlan performed Ordinary Miracle.

Loreena McKennitt added a Celtic lilt to the evening with her performance of The Old Ways on a Gaelic harp. Moments later amid a carpet of red maple leafs, Cape Breton’s Ashley MacIsaacand tap soloist Brock Jellison added some heat into the night as over 200 tap dancers and dancing fiddlers, created an explosive, fiery beat. Keeping the rhythm at a pace were fiddlers Calvin Vollrath, André Brunet, Daniel Lapp, Samantha Robichaud, Sierra Noble, and April Verch.

The song Both Sides Now byrevered singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell accompanied asolo performance by aerialist and Ècole nationale de cirque student Thomas Saulgrain, who soared through a field of golden wheat, inspired by the Canadian classic W.O. Mitchell’s Who Has Seen the Wind.

-

As the night continued, a flock of doves created through light rose skyward as k.d. lang sang Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah, Garou urged the athletes to aim Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin (A Little Higher, A Littler Farther) and soprano Measha Brueggergosman powered through the Olympic Anthem as the Olympic flag was raised. Montreal singing sensation Nikki Yanofsky, 16, also lent her talents to O Canada with the raising of the Canadian flag.

The Olympic Flag was carried into BC Place by eight notable Canadians: humanitarian Romeo Dallaire; Betty Fox, mother of cancer activist Terry Fox; world renowned singer Anne Murray; champion ice hockey player Bobby Orr; astronaut Julie Payette; Olympic gold medal figure skater Barbara Ann Scott; internationally acclaimed actor Donald Sutherland; and world champion Formula 1 driver Jacques Villeneuve.

John Furlong, CEO of the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC), encouraged the athletes to seize the moment while competing at Canada’s Games to dream big and inspire the youth of the world.

“You are role models for our children ― heroes, giants, champions ― the best ever. You are living proof that men and women everywhere are capable of doing great good and that in life as it is in sport we should always give our best and never ever give up,” he said.

“From whatever continent you have come, we welcome you to Canada ― a country with a generous heart. We love that you are here. You are among good friends. Vous êtes parmis vos amis.”

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michäelle Jean, Governor General of Canada officially declared the XXI Olympic Winter Games open as she joined Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the chiefs of the Four Host First Nations, in watching the evening’s celebration.

“Here we are, back in Canada, for the third time in the history of the Olympic Games. After Montreal and Calgary, it is now the turn of the West Coast of this wonderful sports loving nation to host the world’s athletes. Thank you Canada for this great loyalty to the Olympic ideals,” said President Rogge.

“Dear athletes, these Games belong to you . . . so give them the magic that we all desire through your performances and your conduct. Remember that you are role models for the youth of the world. There is no glory without responsibility.”

The ceremony concluded with five notable Canadian athletes, performing the final leg of the torch relay.-

Rick Hansen, Canada’s Man in Motion, passed off the flame to Catriona LeMay Doan (multiple Olympic gold medallist in speed skating) who, along with Steve Nash (Olympian and National Basketball Association MVP), Nancy Greene Raine(Olympic gold medallist in alpine skiing) and Wayne Gretzky (one of the most honoured hockey players of all time) lit a contemporary cauldron that emerged from the field of play.
To ensure the Olympic Flame burns for the full 17 days of the Games, an external cauldron was ignited by Gretzky who carried the flame from BC Place to the Vancouver waterfront. Framed by the mountains and the waters of Burrard Inlet, the cauldron will serve as a lasting legacy of the 2010 Winter Games and late VANOC chairman Jack Poole.

“You might say the home of the Rocket and the Great One / who inspired little number nines / and little number ninety-nines / but we’re more than just hockey and fishing lines / off of the rocky coast of the Maritimes / and some say what defines us / is something as simple as please and thank you / and as for you’re welcome / well we say that too / but we are more / than genteel or civilized / we are an idea in the process / of being realized.” – Shane Koyczan

About VANOC

VANOC is responsible for the planning, organizing, financing and staging of the XXI Olympic Winter Games and the Paralympic Winter Games in 2010. The 2010 Olympic Winter Games will be staged in Vancouver and Whistler from February 12 to 28, 2010. Vancouver and Whistler will host the Paralympic Winter Games from March 12 to 21, 2010. Visit www.vancouver2010.com.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 11:48 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default Womens mogul finals

That was a great final. Canada's Jen Heil edged out by Kearney of the USA. Some spectacular runs!
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 12:02 AM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
That was a great final. Canada's Jen Heil edged out by Kearney of the USA. Some spectacular runs!
Enjoyable, definitely.....I almost break my leg just LOOKING at those runs they make...lol

That one Korean speed skater almost took out all THREE Korean skaters or Canada mighta gotten a bronze in the mens 1500 short track

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
Enjoyable, definitely.....I almost break my leg just LOOKING at those runs they make...lol

That one Korean speed skater almost took out all THREE Korean skaters or Canada mighta gotten a bronze in the mens 1500 short track
That guy in 3rd that tried that inside pass was probably thinking about that extra 5K or 10K difference from silver to bronze. He was wrong in attempting that move there.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 12:51 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

First off, still can't believe that moguls event last night. Run of her life for Kearney to beat Heil.

And yeah, that was crazy/stupid speed skating. Our guy was just too tentative in my opinion. It was like "Oh, please do go in front of me".

Couple of disappointments on the Canadian side yesterday, but high hopes for today!
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 03:26 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Default Free champagne training for gold-medal winners

Free champagne training for gold-medal winners
The Globe and Mail

André Saint-Jacques has free champagne for all gold medal winners in Whistler this month-and he'll teach the champions how to behead the bottles with a sabre.Saint-Jacques owns Bearfoot Bistro, considered the best restaurant in Whistler. Led by chef Melissa Craig, Bearfoot topped long-time champ Araxi last year in Vancouver Magazine's annual ranking.While the food is wonderful, the booze side of things is equally amazing. Saint-Jacques has a wine cellar with more than 20,000 bottles and the Quebec native also loves his bubbly: He's Canada's No 1 importer of Moët & Chandon.To celebrates the Games, Moet showed its love for its favourite Canadian with a gift: 100 jeroboams (3 litres) and 30 salmanzars (9 litres). The big boys are for Canadian gold medalists and their guests, the jeroboams for parties of victors from other nations.So, beheading the bottle with a sabre?It's called sabrage, where a bottle of champers is opened with a sabre, the blade hitting the lip of the bottle, severing the collar from the neck.Saint-Jacques has never won a gold medal-but he does hold the Guinness World Record for most champagne bottles sabred in a single minute: 21. A framed official notice of the 2006 feat-performed to celebrate Bearfoot's 10th anniversary-hangs in the cellar."It's all in the wrist," counsels Saint-Jacques.Standing atop a makeshift podium built with wooden wine cases, Saint-Jacques takes pleasure in regaling guests with the history of sabrage, which dates to the era of Napoleon Bonaparte (who is said to have once declared: "Champagne! In victory one deserves it; in defeat one needs it").Ever effusive and happy to celebrate the good life, Saint-Jacques last year installed an ice room on the main floor of the restaurant, the only thing like it in Canada. The walls are ice, with shelves cut in to hold bottles of vodka, the drink of choice in the -15 C room where guests are given parkas and fur hats to stay warm. The shots help, too."It's good to be us," Saint-Jacques declared on the opening night of the games, raising a glass, a cheers to Canada.
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 03:35 PM

Unread 14 Feb 2010, 09:30 PM
JSAdmin

I never...EVER will understand why US networks are SO focused on American athletes that they'll show even poor performances by US athletes....and sometimes not even show some of the best performances..at least live.

Example: We just saw 2 American mogul skiers who both made mistakes on their runs....that's fine........but then we come back from commercial and hear that 2 Canadians are at the top of the leaderboard...yet we're shown neither performance!

.....and this Begg-Smith kid...born in Vancouver, competing for Australia.....started an online marketing company at 13 and was a millionaire even before his success on the slopes........maybe he's got tips for me

Unread 14 Feb 2010, 09:44 PM
JSAdmin

and Alexandre Bilodeau ends the drought for Canadian gold

....tho not sure what the judges saw to drop the Frenchman to 6th, I thought he'd be silver or bronze and knock the US off the podium

Unread 14 Feb 2010, 09:53 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

YAY! Canada's first gold at home ever!

You missed some good runs. Glad that Begg lost (obviously). He grew up in, and even skied for Canada but won't even acknowledge that and won't even let Canadian media interview him. Look on his face standing on the podium was priceless. He was really not happy with silver.

O, you're right. I thought for sure that run was going to land him bronze. 6th was a surprise.
Unread 14 Feb 2010, 11:07 PM

/concur with the frenchman getting robbed. as far as Begg is concerned...didn't Canadian officials bust his arse because they thought he wasn't training enough...when he was 15 yrs old? Isn't that when he left for Australia?

CONGRATS Canada on the first "home gold".