Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Techie Corner
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techie Corner Ask/Answer computer questions

Unread 04 Feb 2008, 11:04 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default Intel 45nm Multi-core

I am upgrading my mobo, cpu and ram....

I would like to know more about the availability, reliability and price of the new Intel 45nm Multi-core cpu's

I want to use this board...
ASUS P5E3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP X38 ATX DDR3 3PCI-E16 2-PCI-E1 2PCI SATA RAID 2XGBLAN Draft N Motherboard

I will use something like this for ram...
Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR3 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Memory Kit

Please understand, I am still on a learning curve when it comes to sorting through and matching components.
I just finished my latest computer last month...completely built! LOVED building it..works fabulous...now my daughter wants one. Well...ok....she can have the m2n-e, Athlon 3800 duo core 64 bit cpu and big ram ddr2(800) that I have...now daddy wants to go big.

Please advise on best possible choices for cpu. 64 bit required. Extremely curious about 45nm m.c., but that could be clouding my view.

Thanks for any help!!
I am...
smokin' smsab
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 05 Feb 2008, 07:40 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

okay...after a lot of schoolin'...this is what I have put together...for now.

ASUS P5E LGA775 X38 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN RAID Motherboard ($234.35)

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit ($149.99)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB ($244.99)

Coolermaster GeminII Copper Aluminum 6 Heatpipe Cooler 2X120MM LGA775 Socket AM2 S939 S940 S754

being a carpenter ...what say techies?
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)

Unread 05 Feb 2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

What are you doing for a graphics card?

Nick
Unread 05 Feb 2008, 08:51 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
What are you doing for a graphics card?

Nick
er...leftovers...

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600GT PCI-E 256MB VGA DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

using leftover sound card too...board comes with RAID card but will shelve it for now, I think

Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Sound Card 24BIT 192KHZ DDL PRO-LOGIC S/PDIF IN/OUT PCI

Unread 05 Feb 2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

And the purpose of this beast of a machine? If you slapped an 8800 GTx, you would have a sweet gaming machine!

Nick
Unread 05 Feb 2008, 09:42 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
And the purpose of this beast of a machine? If you slapped an 8800 GTx, you would have a sweet gaming machine!

Nick

lol....other than Jockstocks, poker, etc...I never have played a 'puter (or Sony playthingy or Q-box) "game"....yet!!!
I say yet because the kids at work talk about this "Call of Duty"? Sounds...interesting, but the 8800 gtx is...450 bucks!!! I'm noy saying it didn't cross my mind, but at some point, budget must rear it's ugly head and bring me back down to earth...I really don't want to shelve another one!
As mentioned above...It is an opportunity for me to up-grade what I had. I do have programs that require more speed yet (SolidWorks, a little audio/video editing, etc...). I am very impatient
Unread 06 Feb 2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsab View Post
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB ($244.99)
Front Side Bus

Quote:
Voltage: 0.85V – 1.3625V
From newegg.com ..

Nick
Unread 14 Jan 2012, 01:33 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

beasts diary: Putting this here helps me date things.

P5K Premium died last week.
I think i shorted out the board while changing monitors back and forth.

so, I upgraded a bit. I think.

New MoBo/CPU and RAM.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI USB 3.0 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1866MHZ PC3-15000 9-11-9-27 1.65V XMP Ready Desktop Memory Kit

Five year warranty on board :cool:

Performance is now 5.9 on all categories

lesson learned: Static....bad

On a related topic...
no sooner was i done when Microsoft informed me I have three days to replace my license key.
Apparently each copy of Windows is allowed a number of rebuilds and then...that's it!!?
I run Vista.
I found a way to keep windows active for another 120 days without buying anything....but then what?
How would I go about changing operating system (to win7) and NOT losing info on that hard drive? (ie: registered programs such as SolidWorks or Simply Accounting)

Unread 15 Jan 2012, 02:21 PM
Administrator

You can't. One of the dumb things from Vista to 7 was it was a complete re-install.

The best you can do is backup your files [My Documents, My Pictures, etc] and then install 7. You'll still have to re-install software, but you won't lose your personal stuff.

But, I haven't look in a while. Somebody may have created an update tool to assist with -- may want to do a quick Google search before you take my advice

Nick
Unread 15 Jan 2012, 04:56 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Thank You, Sir!!

Kinda settles things in my mind....best plan I think may be to go buy Vista again and just renew the product key.

There is ...what they call, an upgrade version for many shekels less than the full version. This would be all i need, would it not?
Running Home Premium now and would 'Upgrade'(?) to Business if I can do so without C-drive interruptus.

It's 60 bucks more for the encryption thingy you get with vista ultimate.....any comment?

Unread 15 Jan 2012, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Yeah, might as well 'upgrade' if it will allow you. Not sure what the stipulations are for a 'bad' key ...

I'd ask the guy at the store before you purchase it.

Nick
Unread 15 Jan 2012, 05:57 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

thanks again.
i took your advice and read some....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
Quote:
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a different 64-bit version of Windows Vista
The following list shows the 64-bit to 64-bit upgrade paths that are available:
Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate
Full Version.........$399.99
Upgrade Version...$259.99

This seems to be option A at the moment. (staples)
It says I can Back up the data by using the "Backup and Restore" feature in Windows Vista. ??
still open for other options, but this right now is actually the more economical if it does what i understand it to do

Quote:
Not sure what the stipulations are for a 'bad' key ...
I have a good copy for a few hours yet, you think I may have changed things when I ran <slmgr\rearm>....?
My product key is valid for an upgrade even if it is expired....NO???
Unread 14 Dec 2012, 06:31 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beast View Post
beasts diary: Putting this here helps me date things.

P5K Premium died last week.
I think i shorted out the board while changing monitors back and forth.

so, I upgraded a bit. I think.

New MoBo/CPU and RAM.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 DDR3 CrossFireX SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI USB 3.0 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB 2X4GB DDR3 1866MHZ PC3-15000 9-11-9-27 1.65V XMP Ready Desktop Memory Kit

Five year warranty on board :cool:
has been running flawlessly....but is something wrong I wasn't aware of until recently.

Tri channel architecture!!

That PatVip Xtreme RAM is just wrong.

Although it IS compatible...it is not on the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) that accommodates the board. (Doh)

I7 has tri channel architecture that many boards do not possess...Sabertooth x58 does. HOWEVER...1066 is the default setting for single and dual channel ram...I7 cannot achieve higher unless triple channel architecture is used. THEN can be overclocked.
I not looking to OC...but I want to be able to use the stuff I have to the best of it's ability. Triple channel is therefore necessary.

four years ago...this RAM cost 1200.00/set (12G).

today it's 72 bucks!
I bought two.

**does anyone have a need (or use) for the PatVip Xtreme mentioned? (liquid fast and difficult to OC apparently...speeds are so fast though that overclock won't be necessary.)
I'm sure it will fit in the mail.

Unread 22 Dec 2012, 01:19 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

that's more like it

I'm built!

now I would like to set up a RAID.

not sure...read a lot...still a bit confused.

velociraptor is the main drive....but have FOUR other 1T Seagate barracuda.

ONE of them is 6G transfer speed...the rest are 3. All SATA.

Can I do this? or do they all have to be equal across the board?...anyone?
Unread 27 Dec 2012, 04:56 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

NOPE.

Don't figure I can set up a RAID anymore. Says I lose all data. (short of copying everything to external...ugh...new ssd main and reload OS and rest of crap programs i can't seem to do without)

main drive too small as well, I think.
Everything I've read indicates the RAID recognizes the smallest drive as being the size for whatever # drives.

...still like the idea....If a drive fails, you install new one and others rebuild the info.

undecided