Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 18 Jun 2023, 11:13 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default Jockstocks going forward

Rather than continue whatever discussion that might result in the Ja Morant thread, I'll start this one to see what, if any, traction it gets.

I don't know that I've ever really shared my full vision for this site. Some has changed over the years, some might need tweaking to be more entertaining for the younger market, but most of it is still in my plans...should we ever really be able to move forward with them.

Recoding this site is essential; much of it written in 2002 and a few things have changed. My vision from YOUR view would be all new forums, quickest and easiest change. When the site is redone it may have home pages for each sport, pulling in some original content, scores, as well as JS specific information (current listings, latest IPOs, etc).

At this point, not sure if there's a reason to do anything with TV ports EXCEPT possibly to rename them Legacy ports...and give people the ability to create a 2nd TV/Legacy port...only that one they can choose the starting balance and have the ability to reset it if they want.

I'd like to create a parallel market- any IPO on the current market is also available on the parallel market. Why? THAT market would work exactly the same HOWEVER it would be a market with more real world movement....stock movement not nearly as volatile. One, that is more educational for learning how a market works, but also because....we can then use THAT market for salary cap games! Prices in that market likely reset at the end of a sport's season.

LEAGUES! With a league setup, people can choose who they want to compete against in competitions they set up. I've always thought this could be a premium feature if you want to customize your own, but the same setup could be used by the site to create OUR own custom competitions....as well as using it to create tiered site-wide competitions. I'm thinking a ladder system where, for example, if you win a monthly at your level, you compete at the next level the next month. If you win at the top level, you start over at the bottom again...along those lines.

Did you know my original plan was to have also have combined competitions? I mean you play monthly, Pick'em, and Pre-Pick'em at the same time...Pick'em points converting to dollars so the overall score is still in dollars. There are just endless competitions that could be created, but we need people playing in larger numbers to have 'em.

I've also wanted everybody to have their own personal profile page- some of which is viewable by other users, some of which would remain private to you...kind of their own Facebook page. You could make notes to yourself, but you could also just post your own ramblings, etc, for others (maybe even choose to have those tagged to display on one of our sport's home pages). It would also include some of your own stats- competitions you've won, top dollar you've reach in various competitions...you'd be able to play against yourself, trying to reach 'career highs', etc.

Then there are adding more real world market features. Of course the first that comes to mind is mutual funds.

...and that's all without even talking about creating real money competitions, a real money market.....not talking about becoming a betting site, just using now-legal betting laws to create real money opportunities (never thinking people losing their house kinda money, just poker night with the guys money).......nor is it getting into the fact we could create 'regular' fantasy games...with a JS twist

Once there's money coming in, there's justification to purchase stat feeds. Once we're using stat feeds and other things are automated, I have more time to do other things for the site. When I can do other things I can create content, edit content, more efficiently add/update IPOs.....

One more thing about my vision and I'll stop; I've also always wanted to start a sister site. I wanted to buy the domain sportal.com but somebody's had that (with nothing but a soccer home page and nothing else) but the intent of my vision there is for it to be an aggregate site for fan sites, other similar games, other smaller sites, etc....a place where they can be listed, they can advertise, a site that doesn't scream Jockstocks but obviously would have significant links to it. A 3rd site for content has also been a thought....all of it becoming a network that funnels people here.

/ramble

Now, if YOU were to think of changes, additions, features, etc you'd like to see if I suddenly had the programming hours to do it, what are things YOU'D like to see?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?