Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 13 Mar 2007, 01:49 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Default Global Warming Discussion

So I've been having a pretty good discussion with some folks on another message board lately about Global Warming. If it exists, etc. Just curious what everyone else thinks. Do you believe in Global Warming? DO you think man is responsible for it? Or do you believe its a cycle that the earth goes through and its nothing we should be worried about? Just curious. (i know we have a good opinionated group here, so it should be interesting.)

At some point I will devulge...or you will figure out where I lay in terms of Global warming.

Also, this thread will be a place to post new articles, findings, etc that you come across and want to share with the rest of us.

I'll start off with this funny article.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1048709.html

its about a couple of women, marching across the Arctic in response to Global Warming. They had to cut it short when it was getting down to 100 below zero. LMAO. Gotta love it. And then at the end of the Article some guy says they werent expecting it, and thats what global warming is, the unpredictable. But then if the warmth would have happened, that would have been Global Warming as well....
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 02:06 AM
Lost in the Woods(again)

I believe global warming does exist. The real question is how much we are adding to it. Its just my opinion we are adding to global warming about 50% of it. How came to this solution I pick the middle ground of the extreme groups figures (or hot air). I know not very scientific but it works for me. Reality seems to fall in the middle of extreme groups on most subjects anyways, why should this be any different.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 03:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

I believe the Earth is currently going thru a warming cycle, just as is Mars. Draw you own conclusion from that as to how much I think we are adding.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 09:05 AM
GM

How can man cause global warming when the last time the northern two thirds of North America was experiencing an ice age there were very few men on earth living in North America and they did not have air conditioning, cars, washing machines, steel plants, and anything else that would cause carbon emissions?

So I guess that means that co2 emissions can not be the root cause of global warming so I guess the elites need to find something else that causes global warming but good luck when the ice age did finally melt. Man was very primitive so it might have been something else besides man that actually causes global warming.

So what is something that could have caused a lot of co2 emissions during the last ice age?

Well I guess we should start blaming volcanoes because they are going off all the time and they emit a gargantuan amount of co2 emissions and they were around during the last ice age. But that sure is not as convenient as man causing global warming now is it?
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 09:34 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i'm lost how does the last ice age (and the lack of man caused co2 emmissions) offer evidence in support of the non-existence of global warming?

if in fact humanity and it's increase in consumption of fossil fuels, use of cfc's, rapid deforestation, among other human activities are in fact to some degree responsible for this warming effect, wouldn't the lack of these activities and a resulting ice age seem to counter your position?

i admit you lost me
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 09:38 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

in response to the original question, i do think that the whole phenomenon is some what natural in its origins. that is i do believe the earth goes through evolutionary cycles and this is simply one of many.

that said i think it's naive at best to believe that man's activities aren't exacerbating the issue. i do however think that while the increase consumption of fossil fuels and industrialization without anti-pollutant regulations are in part to blame, the biggest contributor of man to the whole phenomenon is likely the rapid deforestation we're seeing across the globe.

so while it is likely an evolutionary cycle, clearly our activities as a species aren't making it any better, and likely are doing nothing less than speeding the course.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:34 AM
GM

I would think that it would take a pretty dramatic temperature increase to melt ice that covered all of Canada and the northern half of the U.S. would it not? Was there a whole of lot of human activity anywhere in the world for that matter when the ice did eventually melt that we can say is contributing to global warming now?

If the answer is no to my last question then how can we say man is the main culprit to the the effects of global warming now because the increase in temperature seems to me would be much greater to end the ice age than the increases in temperatures that we are seeing now. Why are there shifts in temperature from season to season for that matter?

I don't sound any more convoluted than the people that say humans are the only reason why global warming exists in the first place.

I will leave you with one last question.

Are the activities of humans the only factor that causes global warming?

I think I should just go back in my hole after this. I was being so good lately.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:46 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
in response to the original question, i do think that the whole phenomenon is some what natural in its origins. that is i do believe the earth goes through evolutionary cycles and this is simply one of many.

that said i think it's naive at best to believe that man's activities aren't exacerbating the issue. i do however think that while the increase consumption of fossil fuels and industrialization without anti-pollutant regulations are in part to blame, the biggest contributor of man to the whole phenomenon is likely the rapid deforestation we're seeing across the globe.

so while it is likely an evolutionary cycle, clearly our activities as a species aren't making it any better, and likely are doing nothing less than speeding the course.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpeter72 View Post
I don't sound any more convoluted than the people that say humans are the only reason why global warming exists in the first place.

I will leave you with one last question.

Are the activities of humans the only factor that causes global warming?

I think I should just go back in my hole after this. I was being so good lately.
I think hork agrees with you. And so do I. I believe in GW, but, I also believe in global cooling which is likely to happen after this period of warming. Man is responsible for SOME of the gw, but not to the scale that Al Gore, Greenpeace, and all the gw head honchos want you to believe.

Take this bit of information. They are always pointing to CO2 as a problem:

Temperatures change and CO2 are related. But in a way that not everyone thinks. In ice core data going back 400,000 yrs, studies have shown that CO2 changes in RESPONSE to temperature change. Temperatures dont change as a result of CO2, at least according to the ice core data. From 1915-1940, temperatures rose sharply, while CO2 only rose 10-20ppm. From 1940-1980, temperatures fell sharply, while CO2 rose sharply. This rise in CO2 is a result of the rise in temperatures from 1915-1940.

interesting....
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Storm,

What measurement is ppm?

ST
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 11:59 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
From 1915-1940, temperatures rose sharply, while CO2 only rose 10-20ppm. From 1940-1980, temperatures fell sharply, while CO2 rose sharply. This rise in CO2 is a result of the rise in temperatures from 1915-1940.
And you thought I was going to be good and go back in my hole.

I do find this quote very interesting for one simple reason. Which one of these time periods was there a larger population explosion in the U.S.? Oh great it is when the temperatures fell sharply. Now how could that possibly be when certain experts preach human activity is the main culprit of why global warming is happening in the first place?

Btw does ppm mean parts per million?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 12:16 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Storm,

What measurement is ppm?

ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpeter72 View Post
Btw does ppm mean parts per million?
yes...parts per million...
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 04:16 PM
Coach

Im in the group who thinks global warming is a natural cycle thats being mutated by the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 06:21 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
Im in the group who thinks global warming is a natural cycle thats being mutated by the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
I agree with this statement as well. IMO, we are in the midst of a cycle. A cycle of warming, then cooling, then warming, etc. The problem is, we humans are causing the top on the warm cycle to be much higher than it has ever been. But, if it is all a cycle, then be rest assured, the cooling will occur.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

And by "all-time high", what is the value of the rise in temperature?

ST
Unread 14 Mar 2007, 03:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Let me ask a question. Just for the purposes of discussion, let's say the earth was cooling at a dangerously rapid rate and we needed to reverse that or life, as we know it, would come to an end. How would we go about "warming" the Earth?