Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 04 Aug 2008, 03:09 PM
Coach

So now the latest stupidity to come from Republicans is that they're attacking Obama cause he told people that checking your tire pressure can help with your fuel efficiency so that you save some money at the pump (something that was instilled in me years before I learned to drive and thus I thought was common knowledge). They've even gone so far as to use tire gauges for props (including the jackazz governor of my state who is a leading veep candidate only because of the shallow pool of prospects). Seriously. It's so far out there that a snarky person finds it hard to satirize. No wonder they want to drill for oil everywhere if that's their car maintainence habits.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 04 Aug 2008, 07:07 PM
GM

With regards to -mmm-'s last post that is all well and good but of course an incredibly weak argument on why not to vote for Obama; but I must ask the question where is the reason why we should vote for McCain in this particular argument?

I wonder if we could come up with as many reasons to vote for McCain as the number of reasons why McCain and the evil republicans will lose this early November?

I have noticed something about both candidates actually. No one around here is just gushing that they are the greatest candidates ever and they will just fix all of our problems so we never have to worry about them again. I think it is very important that people are being very cautious about both of these presidential candidates actually.

And I am sure Obama will get around to telling us his sound alternative energy policy if he has not done so already.

I think I can give one of the reasons why people are just wanting this race to be over and that is empty rhetoric that really does not get anything done is starting to become so a part of this race. What -mmm- just mentioned is a perfect example of this.

The party that starts to lay out real solutions to many different kinds of real problems will win "big" this November.

But with the presidential race in particular I don't even think that is really going to happen that we get answers to tough questions. I just get the sense and I could be wrong about this that both candidates when it is a really tough question of course they answer the question but not in any meaningful way at all.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 16 Aug 2008, 11:37 AM
GM

Well McCain sued his cancer stricken ex wife.

Yes this is the wife that was almost killed in automobile accident while McCain was in Vietnam; and McCain was not legally divorced from the first wife when he married his current wife Cindy.

One other thing to mention about this particular story as well. Don't old people in general tend to forget things the older they get?

McCain lies in this story so many times it is hard to keep up with.

1. His divorce from his first wife was so not as warm and fuzzy as McCain wants people to believe.
2. McCain and his mother lied about not suing McCain's other wife for personal items.
3. The lawyer that was suing on behalf of McCain's mother did talk to the McCain's about the lawsuit and did they want to continue or not?

Article Here

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 19 Aug 2008, 02:01 PM
GM

In 1983 the first year McCain was in congress he opposed a federal holiday honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Unread 01 Sep 2008, 08:38 AM
GM

There is absolutely no compassion in the republican party. Their convention is still going on despite a category 3 Hurricane Gustav hitting the gulf coast.

And there are screams by protesters in Minneapolis at the republican convention that they are victims of police brutality and civil liberties are clearly being violated her. Does it really matter which civil liberties it might be?

Unread 02 Sep 2008, 06:48 PM
GM

McCain is going to get an endorsement from the president as he will say McCain is "ready to lead" tonight but the president will still not be there at the republican convention in Minneapolis.

Well this may boost McCain's numbers a few points because the president still has a higher approval rating than the congress.

No wonder Obama got such a tiny little bounce out of his convention, because his running mate is very much a part of the congress, even though approximately thirty eight million people watched Obama's acceptance speech last night at Invesco field in Denver, CO.

Well that last thing I said may have been a problem for Obama for well.

I have not heard a ton a rave reviews for Obama around here which sort of surprises me. Well actually when a person comes right down to it it does not really surprise me in the least.

Unread 02 Sep 2008, 07:41 PM
GM

This is the best sentence so far of why McCain can not be our next president.

"If McCain wins, look for a full-fledged race and class war, fueled by a deflated and depressed country, soaring crime, homelessness - and hopelessness!"

Story Here

It is going to be so great when the person that wrote this story can write the exact same thing except for the part about a race war either starting early October of next year or starting early October of 2011 and just remember I am the one that months ago said that Obama will be the next president.

Why October P?

October 1 starts the fiscal year for the feds.

Unread 02 Sep 2008, 08:43 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
No wonder Obama got such a tiny little bounce out of his convention, because his running mate is very much a part of the congress, even though approximately thirty eight million people watched Obama's acceptance speech last night at Invesco field in Denver, CO.

Well that last thing I said may have been a problem for Obama for well.

I have not heard a ton a rave reviews for Obama around here which sort of surprises me. Well actually when a person comes right down to it it does not really surprise me in the least.
I wont go into a long spiel about the convention bounce and why its useless to talk about it (for both candidates), but just a quick sum up: research shows it disappears after a couple weeks anyhow as people forget about it and other events captivate their interest. However what we're seeing in Obama is a bit different I think. Basically, the digging into the polls Ive seen shows that he's pretty much shored up his support among Democrats (basically the undecided Hillary voters). Amazing that he could do that without actually putting her on the ticket like some were advocating.

In fact after last week's convention I bet McCain realized that and why he went with Palin as she could help energize the evengelical army that helped Bush win in 04, as opposed to Pawlenty who wouldnt have brought Minnesota into the red column.

As far as I can tell from viewing everything from a distance, Obama has been about registering people online and contacting as many people as possible. McCain has been trying to win each media cycle (a sort of Clinton approach to campaigning). However, one other thing were I could be wrong about, is that with the Palin pick, McCain is now losing the media war that was basically in a stalemate before (contrary to those who whine, and I mean WHINE, about the so-called liberal media, as they are cozy with both Obama and McCain). However, he lost control over that with the Palin pick and all the scandalous events that have unfolded since then. With Palin, he may go the whole voter registration route (as I alluded too), but outside of Fox he's losing the media war badly now. For an example, I wont c/p it as its easy to google up, but the new cover of Us Weekly sums up the message that's going out to voters who dont follow the news like we do but get it from supermarket aisle tabloids.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 03 Sep 2008, 11:51 AM
GM

Stupid me there will always be "class war" no matter who the president is because if there wasn't one what would Jackson and Sharpton do with themselves?

Come to think of it what would democrats biatch and moan about as well?

Unread 03 Sep 2008, 03:17 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
Come to think of it what would democrats biatch and moan about as well?

actually there will always be the divide due to an agenda dominated by and strict belief in Social Darwinism.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 18 Sep 2008, 09:16 AM
GM

McCain does not understand economics very well.

I could ask the question what happened to Freddy, Fanny, and AIG and would a person explain this in a way that could be easily understood but I won't because it would appear that I am defending McCain and I would not want people to get that perception of me at all.

Unread 09 Oct 2008, 11:26 AM
GM

McCain gets an endorsement from the National Rifle Association.

I wonder what other groups will give McCain an endorsement as well?

Reason: I gave a period when it should have been a question mark.
Unread 09 Oct 2008, 11:35 AM
GM

How could I forget that horribly bad choice of Governor Palin as McCain's vice presidential running mate?