Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 25 Aug 2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

I am 21, and find texting is ruining the ability for some people to carry on a decent conversation, taking responsibility for their actions, etc. Text can only say 'I am sorry' is some many ways. 'I' can get away with a text that I do not mean, but try lying about it to someone's face. What about asking for something via a text. I see more 'hiding' behind texts and not facing issues [or questions] face to face.

Now, email, IMO, is quite a bit different. There is no maximum character limit, and people tend to use the correct punctuation and capitalization. And, they normally sign an email, make it somewhat more professional.

Nick
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
but it's the little stuff like you finding a "huge problem" with texting that are the kickers to me. But than I take it you dont text much
Unfortunately you could not be more wrong. Having two college students I find myself texting way more often than I care to, including while I am driving which is something I swore I would never do. Call me old school but I just don't think it's the proper way to announce a Presidential candidates running mate.

As I have stated over and over again on these boards: my "huge problem" is the continued call for change from the Obama campaign without any substantive outline of what that "change" entails.
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mmm- View Post
I find almost everything associated with politics to be hilarious, lest it be so maddening it could drive someone insane. The Daily Show does a good job pointing out the major stuff, but it's the little stuff like you finding a "huge problem" with texting that are the kickers to me. But than I take it you dont text much, whereas as someone whos my age its a big way I keep in contact with friends and family.

Of course this also reminds me of the joke about a couple fighting. The girlfriend sends a boyfriend a text "What do u find wrong with me?" and the boyfriend responds "I cant answer that in under 160 characters"
I have a legitimate question Mark.....as I do for all those that text.

What is the infatuation with it? If you have time to text...why wouldn't you have time to call them (or vice versa)?I have the texting option with my service and have NEVER used it.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:19 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post

What is the infatuation with it? If you have time to text...why wouldn't you have time to call them (or vice versa)?I have the texting option with my service and have NEVER used it.
Rich... I find it much easier to talk to someone via text while working, fishing, TV, etc...

I'm not interrupting anyone... Its quick and easy... While to get the full advantage of texting one would almost need a PDA these days... The full keyboard is nice....

But again, there comes a time and place to use texting... I don't think announcing ones VP nod is one of them.

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:21 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:

i'm with you rich i hate texting (probably because i'm so bad and it takes far longer than leaving a voice mail) but i do have the service because, at least with my provider, you have to in order to send and receive pictures.

but to criticize (and i'm not saying you have) the obama camp for reaching out to young voters is ridiculous. traditionally the younger folks have been for the most part vastly apathetic and non-participatory in the electoral process. i applaud anyone who takes the time and makes an honest effort to involve them and i would think anyone who truly values our system would do the same.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:29 PM
Hall of Famer

I've only sent one text message using my phone, and the only reason I did it was I found myself in a VERY LOUD place and knew I wouldn't be able to hear my cell phone ring, so I text messaged my wife to let her know where to meet me. Other than being in a situation where talking is not a viable option, and text messaging isn't inappropriate, I don't see what purpose it serves, as far as personal, one on one communications goes.

The Obama campaign's texting of the VP selection was, as a previous caller mentioned, simply a marketing ploy to build up a mailing list of sorts. I would imagine those folks that signed up will receive text messages on a regular basis asking for support (financial or otherwise), letting them know of campaign events, etc. Besides, word got out through CNN, and probably other news outlets, that Biden was the pick well before 3am Saturday morning. But I don't see how using a text message somehow detracts from, or cheapens the importance of the announcement. It's a modern form of communication, after all.
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho cinco View Post
Rich... I find it much easier to talk to someone via text while working, fishing, TV, etc...

I'm not interrupting anyone... Its quick and easy... While to get the full advantage of texting one would almost need a PDA these days... The full keyboard is nice....

But again, there comes a time and place to use texting... I don't think announcing ones VP nod is one of them.
Listen Nick...do not get the idea that I'm judging anything/one in this...not even close. Hell some of my family thought I was nuts because I didn't want to have to remember where all the payphones were (I was in sales for 17 years)and went and got the newfangled cellphone... . So I'm all for technological advances....most of them. This one has not convinced me...let's look at your 3 examples:

working....I'm assuming you're doing it on the "sly"? If so then comment is not needed here eh?

fishing.....holy smokes...really?Now I know you're an avid, and good fisherman and I haven't fished much but when I did it was to "slip away" from all the with a great buddy (or not) have a beer or two and maybe a bowl or two.I can assure you I NEVER thought about talking to anyone while doing so.I can't even imagine a reason why I would even if I fished 100 times more than I have. Anything I had to say to someone while fishing...if it was "that" important I'd call them.....when I was done fishing.

TV.....well..this is a tough one. If I'm watching something that I did not want to be interupted with a call..I'd probably call them at a commercial or when the show was over. I use an answering machine and again I can assure you that if was an urgent matter..I'd pick up the phone immediately.

I can also see in each of your 3 examples how and why you'd rather text.

My problem is that it is impersonal....promulgates and condones horrible spelling and grammar and the folks that make multi-millions from it couldn't give a flying rat's azz about that. I am absolutely for raising awareness of younger voters and encouraging them to do so...but not via texting. You can argue that it's exploitation or genius....only depends on what side you're on.
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:46 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldzppln View Post
But I don't see how using a text message somehow detracts from, or cheapens the importance of the announcement. It's a modern form of communication, after all.
If you were offered a job, or even offering a job to someone... Would you respond/ask that person via text?

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:49 PM

BINGO on Andrew's example...being in a loud place with little or no choice. Not sure how anyone would argue that one..I couldn't.
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 10:57 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Quote:

working....I'm assuming you're doing it on the "sly"? If so then comment is not needed here eh?
Not on the sly... They don't care about cell phones, MP3 players, etc. As long as you get your work done, and done correctly...

So i'm at work, working on a computer getting it setup and ready to go out the door... A friend calls me to see what time i'm off work and wants to go have a few beers...

Would I rather him call me, interupt what i'm doing... slow me down in my process.. or send me a text saying that and I can reply in 20 secs saying yes...

Cuz really my cell phone sucks while i'm in the shop working... I'd have to walk outside for them to hear me.

Besides... you wouldn't interupt your co-workers either.

Quote:
fishing.....holy smokes...really?Now I know you're an avid, and good fisherman and I haven't fished much but when I did it was to "slip away" from all the with a great buddy (or not) have a beer or two and maybe a bowl or two.I can assure you I NEVER thought about talking to anyone while doing so.I can't even imagine a reason why I would even if I fished 100 times more than I have. Anything I had to say to someone while fishing...if it was "that" important I'd call them.....when I was done fishing.

Maybe this was a bad example... But I still carry my phone on me while fishing... IF someone calls I don't bother... Unless they call back, back and back.. etc...

If its a text i'll pick it up and see what they say.... If it something/someone I need to respond to then so be it.. if not the phone goes back away again.

Quote:
My problem is that it is impersonal....promulgates and condones horrible spelling and grammar and the folks that make multi-millions from it couldn't give a flying rat's azz about that. I am absolutely for raising awareness of younger voters and encouraging them to do so...but not via texting. You can argue that it's exploitation or genius....only depends on what side you're on.
And I know why you don't like to text... Many people find it harder and takes more time to do so... My mother always yelled... Why don't you just pick up the phone and call and talk to the person... I always yelled back i'm watching the Reds game....

And again... there is texting type and then there is normal type... And todays day and age alot of people are switching over to the texting type...

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 11:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i applaud anyone who takes the time and makes an honest effort to involve them and i would think anyone who truly values our system would do the same.
Here in lies the problem I have with the blind sheep mentality of many Obama followers. I do not care for the use of a text message and, simply because I dare question anything Obama does, my "values" of "our system" are questioned?

Sorry Ken but all I can say is
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 11:12 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
but to criticize (and i'm not saying you have) the obama camp for reaching out to young voters is ridiculous.
And, I am going to challenge you at your own game. Please point out in what post did I say anything close to this.
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 11:13 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
Here in lies the problem I have with the blind sheep mentality of many Obama followers. I do not care for the use of a text message and, simply because I dare question anything Obama does, my "values" of "our system" are questioned?

Sorry Ken but all I can say is
i'll question them if you feel getting the youth involved is a problem absolutely. if your issue is simply one of your distaste for the candidate then by all means you're entitled to your opinion and while i'd be at a loss as to what the issue with the whole thing is, i'd never presume you don't have a right to hate, mistrust, or otherwise hold disdain for any given candidate, especially if you have issues and/or reasons for your opinions steeped in rational, social/domestic reasons.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 11:17 PM
GM

Quote:
And, I am going to challenge you at your own game. Please point out in what post did I say anything close to this.
actually it wasn't you i was referring to. i was referring to governor romney's comments on FNC last weekend in addition to the ad the McCain campaign is running which refers to the whole notion of texting as a blatant attempt to sway the youth of our nation.

i'm sure a quick youtube search will reveal the add. as for Romney's airtime on FNC, i admit i didn't see the show (the amount of bias and spin on that network makes even my cynical self cringe) but there is a link to it on the HP.

Unread 25 Aug 2008, 11:19 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I questioned the use of text messaging. PERIOD!