Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 10 Sep 2008, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Government Scandals In The Oil Industry who would of thought so?

Here's an interesting quote within the article....

Quote:
"This all shows the oil industry holds shocking sway over the administration and even key federal employees," said Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.
Gas is down 27 cents since 9/1 in my parts...
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

$0.10 here, I believe. I use E85, so that tends to get my attention more than gasonline prices.

Nick
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 05:33 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post

Gas jumped in my part of the state... Up 30 cents from 3.48 to 3.78 even with the tumbling oil prices on the market.

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 07:43 AM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:

And again, this is pretty much a Rorschach test. There is a tendency to see what a person wants to see.

Gas prices tend to rise every Summer. Including 2000 and prior, when Clinton was president. These things a cyclical, and run almost like clockwork. Doesn't take Nostradamus to figure that out.

There is also a little "damned if you do" mixed in, as well. Prices go up- we get "record profits". Prices go down- it's "manipulation".

Meanwhile, U.S. prices are among the lowest in the world, and things are never so bad that there becomes a shortage of gas guzzlers on the highways.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 04:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
And I will tell you what... I am a prophet, I know who will be the next president and the process as to how he will grab the office. What? You say, you need proof... ok, here is the scenario for the '08 elections complete with the results...

Starting in September and continuing up to election day, oil and gas prices both begin to drop, likely below $3 a gallon. Media talking heads come out and say why now? How is this possible? Big oil/government spokespeople come out and say with little disruptions in distribution, increased domestic production, reduced consumption and demand, etc. (all the regular excuses) is the reason gas prices have begun to decline.

Bam, John McCain is elected president and sometime in February oil companies begin to creep their gas prices back up and continue to do so until the next election cycle. Big oil doesn't want to lose their pawn in the White House and McCain may not be the blatantly observable big oil wh0re, but will have to suffice for the oil companies.

And of course you can say that Americans aren't going to go out and vote for a guy solely on gas prices but those folks are the minority. Americans are all about 'today' not yesterday and certainly don't think about tomorrow.
Hit $2.99/gal yesterday here... how far behind is McCain? Must be close enough to keep the oil industry interested in helping him win.

Quote:
Gasoline prices continue to fall in the Fargo-Moorhead area, with some stations closing in on $3 a gallon, according to AAA’s price survey.

The area average listed on the association’s Web site this morning was $3.134 for a gallon of regular gas, but many stations are selling for $3.089. One station, the Loaf ‘N Jug at 1833 S. University Drive, was listed at $3.039.

The price drop has widely been attributed to falling oil prices and reduced global demand for energy amidst tough economic times. The price of oil dropped to below $90 a barrel Monday – the lowest price in eight months – before rebounding to above $91 a barrel on Tuesday, the Associated Press reported.
Favorite line: "...reduced global demand for energy amidst tough economic times." I am willing to bet most everything there is no reduced global demand and if so, you know how much of a reduction it would take for gas prices to rescind almost 30% in the past 60 days? I don't know how much more evidence we need to prove that gas prices are arbitrarily set and there is really no reason why gas prices go up or down other than for profit...any other reason is just an excuse...

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hit $2.99/gal yesterday here... how far behind is McCain? Must be close enough to keep the oil industry interested in helping him win.

Favorite line: "...reduced global demand for energy amidst tough economic times." I am willing to bet most everything there is no reduced global demand and if so, you know how much of a reduction it would take for gas prices to rescind almost 30% in the past 60 days? I don't know how much more evidence we need to prove that gas prices are arbitrarily set and there is really no reason why gas prices go up or down other than for profit...any other reason is just an excuse...
lawlz at your inability to see past only the things that you are able to comprehend.

Nick
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 07:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
lawlz at your inability to see past only the things that you are able to comprehend.

Nick
Says the sheep...

You only 'comprehend' which is fed to you...

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Not ture. I just merely understand that Wall Street speculation, the weakened [and strengthened] dollar, as well as many other factors play into the price of a gallon.

Now, I will admit that some of the price increases seem absurd. However, it is not merely because of 'greedy, price-controlling' oil companies.

Nick
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 07:55 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Now, I will admit that some of the price increases seem absurd. However, it is not merely because of 'greedy, price-controlling' oil companies.
and as mentioned earlier...

It certainly has nothing to do with McCain.

For the most part, gas prices are seasonal, and cyclical.

The same happened during Clinton's terms, yet I doubt it was a conspiracy to help him or Algore.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 08:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
You conveniently left out the part about it also being due "to falling oil prices". You do understand how the price of a barrel of oil effects the price of a gallon of gasoline, right?

Now I'm not suggesting people start beating up dairy farmers but why does a gallon of milk cost about the same as a gallon of gasoline? The gallon of gasoline is much more expensive to produce.
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 08:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
You conveniently left out the part about it also being due "to falling oil prices". You do understand how the price of a barrel of oil effects the price of a gallon of gasoline, right?
Yes.

McCain supporters didn't reject the prophecy before I made it, but now that it may appear as it may be mostly accurate are quick to bring out all their big oil talking points to reject even the appearance of connection...
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 08:43 PM

The "people" that are finacning our debt...and debt for the rest of the world....are the ones that control the price of a barrell of oil....not supply and demand.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 09:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Yes.

McCain supporters didn't reject the prophecy before I made it, but now that it may appear as it may be mostly accurate are quick to bring out all their big oil talking points to reject even the appearance of connection...
To "prophecy" that gasoline prices will drop after the summer driving season is hardly "prophetic".
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 09:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymy View Post
To "prophecy" that gasoline prices will drop after the summer driving season is hardly "prophetic".
Yeah that's the ticket.... gas prices always go lower by 30% after summer and within 60 days... everyone could see that coming a mile away...

What happen to last year's excuse (and anytime they want too...) as to why they didn't drop after the summer season, when the refineries have to shut down to change their fuel additive from summer to winter driving, thus disrupting distribution and causing a price increase for winter driving?

Keep citing your bought and paid for major media and big oil supplied excuses, it will make sure you are in lock-step with the rest of the flock.
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
What happen to last year's excuse (and anytime they want too...) as to why they didn't drop after the summer season, when the refineries have to shut down to change their fuel additive from summer to winter driving, thus disrupting distribution and causing a price increase for winter driving?
I don't know where you get your info from but according to the DOE's website gasoline prices last summer spiked at the beginning of June at $3.20/gallon and fell just below $2.80/gallon in August. Prices remained relatively flat until November when the winter heating oil season adjustment came in.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...home_page.html