Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 16 Apr 2008, 10:46 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default And here is where i jump the fence....

I say kudos to the SCOTUS for their decision on lethal injection. It may shock some of you to know that I do in deed support capital punishment for heartless murders and other excessively violent criminals.

I've never understood why we're so concerned with the perpetrators well being in these cases when clearly he/she didn't give a ---- about those of their victims.

Might the process cause pain? I sure as hell hope it does. In fact if the burden of proof is proven beyond a reasonable doubt and one is convicted of a calculated, violent and heinous crime then I just can't bring myself to feel bad for him/her if their own demise involves some pain or discomfort.

Of course I limit that opinion only to crimes that warrant such a punishment. Clearly a crime of passion or an accidental homicide don't qualify IMO, but if you take steps to plan, commit, and cover up a violent crime then you deserve to forfeit all rights and life and if in doing so you are forced to experience some pain and discomfort so be it.

OK bizzarro time is over i'll hop on back to my side of the aisle now.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 19 Apr 2008, 10:17 AM
Hall of Famer

This one has always baffled me, as far as it being republican vs democrat, conservative vs progressive issue. I guess because I equate it with abortion, and the right to life, respect for life, everyone is created in God's image, etc. Republicans, for the most part, take the pro-life, anti-abortion stance, citing the respect for human life & protecting the unborn child, while democrats hate babies and want every pregnancy to end in abortion. But when it comes to capital punishment, republicans want to kill anyone and everyone (especially black folk) charged with jaywalking, while democrats want to protect every criminal, citing the chance that an innocent person may be (and has been) put to death for someone else's crime. I know the Catholic Church is pro-life (obviously), and though they preach about the respect for human life, from conception to natural death, I never hear anything about capital punishment being wrong. Maybe I should ask.