Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 02 Jul 2007, 06:47 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Boy nice to have fiends in high places huh?

no other way to put it than to simply say

http://tinyurl.com/33yz3k

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 02 Jul 2007, 07:14 PM

wrong...just plain wrong.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 02 Jul 2007, 09:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Yup, should have pardoned him

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 02 Jul 2007, 10:28 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoc22 View Post
Yup, should have pardoned him
Not a surprising response coming from a Republican sycophant.

My first response to this was "Heckuva job Bushie".

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time
Unread 02 Jul 2007, 11:48 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

it's simply another case of the executive showing it is above the law and it's little lambs bleeting the party line.

funny though these loyal little lambs are the same folks who were whining and crying and had the gall to rail on a guy for cheating on his wife but now it's ok to lie and obstruct justice. yet again it's ok as long as i agree and only wrong if it counters my good ole boys. and the funny thing is they'll actually try to justify it as if anyone is gullible enough to believe their lies and rationale anymore.

and folks wonder why the GOP has lost any shred of credibility it might have had at one time. well this should just about remove any wondering about that now.

God, 2009 can't come soon enough.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Jul 2007, 02:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to spoc22

Okay, let's talk about this obstructing justice.
The Bush hating prosecutor KNEW BEFORE the hearings who the "leaker" was AND that it was no one being involved in his investigation. There were several witnesses who had "faulty memories" and who testified in very similar ways as did Libby yet only Libby was singled out for prosecution. Libby's connection to the VP could lead a thinking person to ask if this wasn't all a set-up hoping he'd turn on the VP in an attempt to save his own hide.
So what we ended up with is someone who was convicted of obstruction of justice in a case where, as it turns out, no crime was committed.

As for the GOP losing its credibility, it seems to me that the DEM controlled Congress now has set the record for the all time lowest approval rating and that approval rating is something like 5 points LOWER than Bush

And btw -mmm-, I'm not a Republican toady. I'm a Conservative who is beyond sick of all the political posturing and attacks especially when it puts the country at further risk.

Did BO bring change we can believe in or is he trying to change what we believe in?

Things which seemed reasonable were often untrue..Other things were partly true and partly untrue..A few things were really true.
- Wilbur Wright
Unread 03 Jul 2007, 10:57 AM
GM

How soon we forget.

Wasn't there a court case in the late 90's, that griped the nation, that established that even though a former U.S. president was never convicted of anything it did establish that lying in grand jury testimony was not a good enough reason for someone to go to jail?

I did find something just a little fascinating when I read the constitution yesterday when it comes to the president's power to pardon someone. A president can pardon anyone as long as it is not part of impeachment of a government official.

So let's have a hypothetical situation in which President Bush lied in some grand jury testimony. If he was convicted of any number of charges could he pardon himself? I would dare say this house of representatives with a simple majority could bring some articles of impeachment against this president but there is that little matter of 2/3 of the senate agreeing also.

Here is the part of U.S. constitution that talks about the president's powers to pardon people.

Article. II.

Section. 2.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 03 Jul 2007, 03:10 PM
Coach

Quote:
Okay, let's talk about this obstructing justice.
The Bush hating prosecutor KNEW BEFORE the hearings who the "leaker" was AND that it was no one being involved in his investigation.
Bush hating prosecutor? I guess thats the label thats put on Republicans who do their job.

Quote:
There were several witnesses who had "faulty memories" and who testified in very similar ways as did Libby yet only Libby was singled out for prosecution.
Funny how so many people in the Bush administration seem to suffer from bad memories. They're worse than me after a night at a keg party.

Quote:
Libby's connection to the VP could lead a thinking person to ask if this wasn't all a set-up hoping he'd turn on the VP in an attempt to save his own hide.
So what we ended up with is someone who was convicted of obstruction of justice in a case where, as it turns out, no crime was committed.
He was convicted of lying under oath. Its a crime no matter the reasoning behind it. And I hope more of them are tried. Its not for a political reason, but for a reason of justice and transparency thats completely absent in the current regime.

Quote:
As for the GOP losing its credibility, it seems to me that the DEM controlled Congress now has set the record for the all time lowest approval rating and that approval rating is something like 5 points LOWER than Bush
I saw that survey too. The amazing thing I found on it was that ALL of the things we would consider institutions had their approval down across the board compared to the previous year. Republicans, Democrats, religion, the military, banks, education and so forth. Theres a seeming growing disconnect between these institutions and us common Joes from what I gathered off of it (but than Ive been feeling that way since my teenage years).

Quote:
who is beyond sick of all the political posturing and attacks especially when it puts the country at further risk.
Amen.

Unread 03 Jul 2007, 03:21 PM
Coach

The neocon spin machine at work