Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Techie Corner
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techie Corner Ask/Answer computer questions

Unread 08 Jan 2013, 09:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Consumer reports ranks the iPhone 5 the lowest out of the "popular" smartphones.
Unread 09 Jan 2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

No surprise. Apple has peaked. It's time for them to find something else to be 'the best at' since smartphones aren't the case anymore or they can start their 1990's downfall all over again.

Nick
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 03:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
No surprise. Apple has peaked. It's time for them to find something else to be 'the best at' since smartphones aren't the case anymore or they can start their 1990's downfall all over again.

Nick
It will be interesting to see if they can find another "niche" that they can create an underpowered, overpriced device that people think they MUST have.
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 03:58 PM

whatever it is the cultists will line-up as always.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
It will be interesting to see if they can find another "niche" that they can create an underpowered, overpriced device that people think they MUST have.
Well, they've done it with the iPod, the iTouch, the iPhone and the iPad. While I think this is the end, it wouldn't surprise me too much if they had one last hooray before going down.

Nick
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
whatever it is the cultists will line-up as always.
I'm not so sure. I've had an increasing number of iSatan-using friends start 'seeing the light' and have asked about Android-based phones.

Nick
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure. I've had an increasing number of iSatan-using friends start 'seeing the light' and have asked about Android-based phones.

Nick
Glad to hear that.....I'm not getting that from the folks I know. BTW...how have you been stranger? Family well?
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 10 Jan 2013, 11:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Nick
Most of the "new" iPhone purchasers that I have noticed are the older folks who have heard about this new fancy phone and are trading in their clamshell phone they've had since '98 to see what all the "buzz" is about.

I think a lot of the younger folks with the iPhone, at some point, were next to someone with an Android device and wondered why their phone couldn't do that? They "thought" they were getting the latest, greatest phone ever.

As I posted previously in this thread, there is not one feature the iPhone 5 has that other phones didn't have and the "better" smartphones easily have more features and outperform the iPhone 5.

Apple has always been very concerned with proprietary property, so much so, that their products are already fitted with outdated technology when they are released.
Unread 11 Jan 2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Glad to hear that.....I'm not getting that from the folks I know. BTW...how have you been stranger? Family well?
Been well. My family [wife + in-laws] decided we needed to finish the basement [well, 2/3 of it] before Baby #2 comes along in March. So, I was AFK most of October - December as Saturday's and Sunday Afternoon's were busy with that project. I'm back around now that we have the carpet in and I can 'catch up' on stuff on the weekends. How are you and yours?

Quote:
Apple has always been very concerned with proprietary property, so much so, that their products are already fitted with outdated technology when they are released.
Agreed!

Nick
Unread 14 Jan 2013, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Apple has cut parts orders by roughly half because demand for the iSatan 5 is down.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASD...MivEpuGlgPwygE

Nick
Unread 14 Jan 2013, 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Apple has cut parts orders by roughly half because demand for the iSatan 5 is down.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASD...MivEpuGlgPwygE

Nick
There's also some 'buzz' that they are cutting orders because iCrap 6 may be issued by the 2nd quarter of this year, thus lowering the demand for the 5 ...
Unread 15 Jan 2013, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
There's also some 'buzz' that they are cutting orders because iCrap 6 may be issued by the 2nd quarter of this year, thus lowering the demand for the 5 ...
Time will tell! It would be a little surprising if the released the 6 so quickly after the 5, but could also be another sign of their demise.

Nick
Unread 15 Jan 2013, 05:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I think they have get the iPhone 6 out with some features that Droid devices don't presently have. Not since the iPhone 1 has the iPhone had any "advanced" features that set it apart from other phones.

I think the NFC feature in Droid devices is really going to take off and if Apple doesn't implement something similar in their phone(s), they will certainly be losing market share...and may even do so regardless because they will certainly only allow Apple devices to work with other Apple devices where as Droid devices allow for more options to sync with...
Unread 18 Jan 2013, 03:37 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

I have to post this link...sums up what you guys have mentioned...

Why Apple Clearly Thinks You're Stupid

It's 3:46 minutes long

By: Michael Swaim
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 25 Jan 2013, 12:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Apple Inc's (NSQ:AAPL) shares slumped 12 percent on Thursday, slicing more than $50 billion from its market value, as weaker-than-expected holiday iPhone sales reinforced fears that it is losing its dominance in smartphones.

Eighteen brokerages, including Barclays Capital, Mizuho Securities USA, Credit Suisse, Raymond James, Robert W. Baird & Co and Canaccord Genuity, cut their price targets on the stock by an average $132 to $612.
Story here.