Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 01 May 2007, 12:29 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Here we go again

Suprise, suprise another questionable contract awarded by this administration to big campaign contributors and former employers of cronies. Shall we just call it haliburton version 2.0?

do have to give credit to Sen. Vitter though for initiating the oversight on this given he probably stands to lose out on large campaign contributions for bucking the regime. nice to see integrity placed above obedience every once in a while. kudos to you Senator

Unread 01 May 2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Yawn ..

Nick
Unread 01 May 2007, 03:49 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Yawn ..

Nick
i agree 100% with your assessment nick.

corruption and underhanded, border-line illegal activities have become so commonplace in this administration that they're hardly newsworthy anymore. it's more the case that they're simply business as usual.
Unread 01 May 2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
i agree 100% with your assessment nick.

corruption and underhanded, border-line illegal activities have become so commonplace in politics that they're hardly newsworthy anymore. it's more the case that they're simply business as usual.
I changed it for you

Nick
Unread 01 May 2007, 09:21 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

That's what gets me about all this Anti-Bush blah blah blah...

None of this is unique to the Republican party, nor anything to do with the president. The same, and possibly worse was going on with Clinton running the ship, and when Dems had majorities before.

Politicians don't even seem to care much about it, other than for political gain, which I guess is the nature of that beast.

Meanwhile, I live a city with a homicide count larger than the military in Iraq's this year, and where pay-to-play is almost a campaign slogan rather than slander.

Democratic mayor, council, state reps, and congressmen (and has been like that for generations). Governor who was the Dem Mayor previously. Even the one senator who is a Republican is really more of a D in R clothing.

Who gets blamed for pretty much everything (other than the Eagles' Draft)?

Bush.

Puuuuuuuuuuuhleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Politicians (and even more so, parties) are a necessary evil. Necessary, however, none the less evil.

If you don't see the scabs on both sides of the aisle, you just are not looking.
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 01 May 2007, 11:02 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
That's what gets me about all this Anti-Bush blah blah blah...

None of this is unique to the Republican party, nor anything to do with the president. The same, and possibly worse was going on with Clinton running the ship, and when Dems had majorities before.

Politicians don't even seem to care much about it, other than for political gain, which I guess is the nature of that beast.

Meanwhile, I live a city with a homicide count larger than the military in Iraq's this year, and where pay-to-play is almost a campaign slogan rather than slander.

Democratic mayor, council, state reps, and congressmen (and has been like that for generations). Governor who was the Dem Mayor previously. Even the one senator who is a Republican is really more of a D in R clothing.

Who gets blamed for pretty much everything (other than the Eagles' Draft)?

Bush.

Puuuuuuuuuuuhleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Politicians (and even more so, parties) are a necessary evil. Necessary, however, none the less evil.

If you don't see the scabs on both sides of the aisle, you just are not looking.
well then i suppose the best option is to turn a blind eye and accept it and tow the line. much easier anyways than suggesting that perhaps they should be held accountable for their actions and risk being "unpatriotic" or "anti-american" i suppose
Unread 01 May 2007, 11:16 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
well then i suppose the best option is to turn a blind eye and accept it and tow the line. much easier anyways than suggesting that perhaps they should be held accountable for their actions and risk being "unpatriotic" or "anti-american" i suppose
I'm just suggesting holding your own ranks accountable takes courage, and is significantly more patriotic and American.

Otherwise, it's just more self righteous hypocrisy of a slightly different flavor.

Every coward on the planet is "honest" about others.

How many of us are honest about ourselves?
My Facebook Profile
Unread 01 May 2007, 11:19 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
I'm just suggesting holding your own ranks accountable takes courage, and is significantly more patriotic and American.

Otherwise, it's just more self righteous hypocrisy of a slightly different flavor.

Every coward on the planet is "honest" about others.

How many of us are honest about ourselves?
i've seen more than one or two folks (and i mean beside myself such as steve, steve, kev, jersey, there have been a few more) on here chastise persons in their own party on more than one occassion. sadly most of them no longer post and it seems all we're left with are those who tow the line through and through and are incapable of seeing lies and crooks where they exist. maginified by their oft tendencies to justify the very actions that would land any of us in prison in a heartbeat.
Unread 01 May 2007, 11:34 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
i've seen more than one or two folks (and i mean beside myself such as steve, steve, kev, jersey, there have been a few more) on here chastise persons in their own party on more than one occassion. sadly most of them no longer post and it seems all we're left with are those who tow the line through and through and are incapable of seeing lies and crooks where they exist. maginified by their oft tendencies to justify the very actions that would land any of us in prison in a heartbeat.
Be one big prison if both parties were housed there.

Think of the concert Amnesty International would hold then!
My Facebook Profile
Unread 02 May 2007, 12:02 PM
Coach

Quote:
The thing is that its only been one party whos had the majority of the power from 2000-2006. Therefore guess who gets into all the hot water when such things come up (and I wonder why they tried to stack the DOJ in their favor). And of course at the head of it all where the neocon and theocon extremists in the Bush administration. Of course you criticize such extremists all the time, you get called one yourself and saying that such a thing is bad, and in doing so that person is passively supporting conservative extremism. I find it funny that people who seem otherwise smart dont really see that point, maybe for the reasons mentioned about "towing the line" and when it comes to conservatives, in my experience thats usually calling people who dont agree with them in being as conservative as they are as evil liberals.

For every William Jefferson (for those who dont know, Louisiana dem found with $90k in his freezer...talk about cold hard cash, naturally since his district is New Orleans he got re-elected) there seems to be 5 Republicans connected to some scandal (the past 2 weeks have seen Congressman Doolittle of CA and Congressman Renzi of Arizona having places of theirs raided in connection to the Abramoff scandal...funny how that happened when the heads at the DOJ were being sidetracked with the US attorney questioning in congress). But with Dems with the number in Congress now and with some of the facing tough re-elections it wouldnt surprise me that before (or more likely after) the next round of elections we see something coming out about them.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time