Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 12 Feb 2010, 10:06 PM

I don't know how Canadians feel and while I think that young lady that sang your National Anthem was a terrific singer, I did not like the arrangement. I get pissed when people change up our National Anthem.....wondering how youze guyz feel.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 11:36 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

I really enjoyed it. Our anthem could use the occasional "emotion" injected into it. That said, I normally am not a fan of "jazzed up" anthems.

Hope the ceremonies are good. I'm lying down with the little one and haven't seen anything since the northern lights and explorer folks an hour ago.
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 11:41 PM

They are fantastic.......really.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 12 Feb 2010, 11:58 PM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Good! I was worried because of the slow beginning. I'm so envious of my friends and colleagues who are there watching or "working" right now! That was going to be me until baby came along!
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 12:43 AM
Coach

I agree on the signing. Also why everything in French? Also I dont want to crap on anything so maybe will stay silent on some. The opening Native Americans (can u call them that if they arent from America?) confused me a LOT. I mean China knocked it out of the park. So far (and I am on TIVO) I am far from blown away. Liked the opening pics of Vancouver and didnt realize how beautiful the city and surroundings were. Makes me want to move there. Just thought it was a cheap opening after a anthem sung by a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice. She may of tried too hard. But they are just announcing the countries so I hope it gets better. We waited along time and are snuggled up with our laptops and ice cream wanting to be wowed.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:01 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

Aboriginals in Canada are called First Nations.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:04 AM
742 Evergreen Terrace

As for the French, it's an official language of Canada and it is spoken on all Olympic games, both Summer and Winter.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:06 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB911 View Post
I agree on the signing. Also why everything in French? Also I dont want to crap on anything so maybe will stay silent on some. The opening Native Americans (can u call them that if they arent from America?) confused me a LOT. I mean China knocked it out of the park. So far (and I am on TIVO) I am far from blown away. Liked the opening pics of Vancouver and didnt realize how beautiful the city and surroundings were. Makes me want to move there. Just thought it was a cheap opening after a anthem sung by a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice. She may of tried too hard. But they are just announcing the countries so I hope it gets better. We waited along time and are snuggled up with our laptops and ice cream wanting to be wowed.
French and English are both official languages of Canada. Plus, most host countries do both French and English because of the number of people from other countries that understand one or the other.

Noone called them native Americans, but how wouldn't they be? I realize the US is often referred to as America, but America runs from Canada down to Argentina.

Vancouver is beautiful. I often regret not having moved there years ago, but life is what it is.

The anthem was sung by a 16 yr old girl. Singing in front of 60,000 is tough enough w/o knowing billions are watching on TV as well.

China used 10 times the money to put on their opening ceremony...and I still enjoyed tonight's as much or more. I coulda done w/o the opera, but if it meant no Celine Dion, I'd endure.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:44 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

French and English are the official languages of the Olympic games. And both are always spoken at every Olympiad.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:47 AM
Coach

ok so far the highlight was the whales in the water so to speak. After that Sarah was good but the whole tree thing screams redundant like the opening where they had people dancing around for an hour. Now after water, trees, fish, and dancing Indians (Which are cool but I see them at halftime of Suns games during Native American month) we are on the Fiddler in the moon. Now a river dance. My only problem is I thought this was about getting to know Canada, Vancouver people etc. Yet at this point we are seeing Celtic dances from New Foundland? I am just confused. A few flashes but give me $35 million and I think I would do better. Again not taking away from anything. Curious to see what Islandgirl thinks. An honest opinion from a Canadian. Fiddles, signing and dancing. Maybe China killed it for everyone.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 01:51 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Aboriginals in Canada are called First Nations.
ok I wondered if they are still called Native Americans as Kat said it is still North America. But myself I didnt think so. That's nice then to show respect for the past or originators. Just when I think Canadian I would never think that. Now that being said it appears mostly all the first 1.5 hours are dedicated to those people. The whole fiddler, moon, Celtic dancing doesnt scream Canada but maybe I am wrong there. Islandgirl? What's your take on all of this?
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 02:02 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB911 View Post
ok I wondered if they are still called Native Americans as Kat said it is still North America. But myself I didnt think so. That's nice then to show respect for the past or originators. Just when I think Canadian I would never think that. Now that being said it appears mostly all the first 1.5 hours are dedicated to those people. The whole fiddler, moon, Celtic dancing doesnt scream Canada but maybe I am wrong there. Islandgirl? What's your take on all of this?
it was my understanding the ceremony was an introduction to Canada not just Vancouver. the "river dance" you refer to celebrates the province of Quebec. The ice, the northern regions, the flying guy the prairies, the mountains the Rockies, and that amazing poem was our introduction to what it is to be Canadian.

like all of these ceremonies, they are introducing not the host city but the people of the host nation, and much like the states, Canada is a grand tapestry of many people and cultures so i felt (and granted I'm not Canadian) that the organizer did an incredible job.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 02:13 AM
Coach

The Canadian Mountains part was AWESOME! I wish Kat hadnt fell asleep so she coulda watched. Definitely kicked it up a notch. LOL @ Orren's son readin poetry. Looks like a jollier version. Flying kid was ok. A lot of the early parts were redundant IMO. Loved the mountain part. Poet was passionate. But the winner by far was the mountains. Showed what I was looking for. Canada and it's pride. Loved all of that part. Before that was a bit boring. Put her to sleep and she LOVES opening ceremonies. Canada looks to improve on it's 3rd place finish in Torino behind USA and Germany. We all know the medal they want more than any. Men's Curling. LOL j/k Men's Hockey. Curling has me lmao. I mean ice shuffleboard. We can get a group together to play that game. I like the Scottish history of it all and the stones. I respect it but why not bowling? Or darts. Ok maybe not darts. But bowling. Heck I have a chance to medal if that's the case. Vien Venew all. Probably mispelled that but let's have a safe Olympiad. Go USA

Oh go Canada so Island wont be grumpy.

P.S. I heard a failed Coyote manager is lighting the torch. J/k I still love Gretzky. Him, 1980, and the roadrunners got a kid from the desert to love Ice Hockey. Wish I could of played.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 02:21 AM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Canada House is supposed to be a fun place for all things Canadian, not for mocking. :nono:

Don't make me call for the bouncer.
I agree with you. I don't know where Troy is coming from on this. It sure doesn't seem to be in the same vein If he wants to bring this up it belongs elsewhere in forums than here.
Unread 13 Feb 2010, 02:52 AM
Coach

No mocking here. It started slow as you said I agreed. The middle was good at points very good. Steve Nash was an awesome surprise. But the lighting of the torch was an epic fail. Also the delay caused my TIVO ti run out. So I saw 3 of the 4 pilars coming up and then poof it ran out of time. Overall good opening but like I said before compared to China......But I also read they had 10x the $$ in theirs. So dollar for dollar it was a tie. Anyone have a link of the lighting please post.