Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > The REAL Financial World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The REAL Financial World A place to discuss investments you've made or are considering
....remembering these ARE just discussions.

Unread 09 Aug 2011, 05:48 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default markets today...

Dow Jones 11239.77 Up 429.92 3.98%
Nasdaq 2482.52 Up 124.83 5.29%
S&P 500 1172.53 Up 53.07 4.74%
FTSE 100 5164.92 Up 95.97 1.89%
Dax 5917.08 Down -6.19 -0.10%
BBC Global 30 5206.42 Up 151.52

Quote:
US interest rates would probably remain at their current level of between 0% and 0.25% until at least the middle of 2013.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14456518
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 09 Aug 2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Beast View Post
Dow Jones 11239.77 Up 429.92 3.98%
Nasdaq 2482.52 Up 124.83 5.29%
S&P 500 1172.53 Up 53.07 4.74%
FTSE 100 5164.92 Up 95.97 1.89%
Dax 5917.08 Down -6.19 -0.10%
BBC Global 30 5206.42 Up 151.52

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14456518
A long way to go before we recoup the losses of the previous five days ...

Nick
Unread 11 Aug 2011, 07:30 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
France, Italy, Spain and Belgium have banned short-selling on the shares of banks and other financial companies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14500731

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 13 Aug 2011, 03:36 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

12 August 2011 Last updated at 12:25 ET
Markets extend gains as US begins trading
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14502255
Unread 14 Aug 2011, 03:19 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

World Bank chief Zoellick says markets in danger zone.
Quote:
What's happened in the past couple of weeks is there is a convergence of some events in Europe and the United States that has led many market participants to lose confidence in economic leadership of some of the key countries," Mr Zoellick said.

"I think those events combined with some of the other fragilities in the nature of recovery have pushed us into a new danger zone. I don't say those words lightly."

He said he was making the point so that policy makers would take it seriously.

On the US, he said markets were not afraid that the world's biggest economy faced an imminent problem, but that they had got used to the US "playing a key role in the economic system and leadership".

The eurozone faced more serious problems, he said, with a lot of member states "moving from drama to trauma".

But he said Australia was in a much better position than other developed countries because of structural reforms it had already undertaken.

On China, he said the appreciation of the yuan would would help reduce inflationary pressures in the country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14522634
Unread 16 Aug 2011, 07:53 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Last Trade: 1,784.70
Trade Time: 4:57PM EDT
Change: Up 2.30 (0.13%)
Prev Settlement: N/A
Open: 1,769.00
Bid: 1,783.70
Ask: 1,784.20

ya that's right....its that funky yellow stuff.

why...oh why?.....is this metal so expensive?....i pretty sure there are rarer substances that do a lot more for a lot less.
pretty, yellow, shiny....and is an excellent conductor....what else does it do?
I remember not too long a time ago was 400 dollars an ounce....which sounds 'reasonable' to me. who the f--- is gonna buy this stuff at today price?
Unread 30 Aug 2011, 09:22 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Spain moves closer to constitutional budget deficit cap
I hates to say it....but this sounds a lot like the 'big' news a while ago about US.
is a recurring theme.....and I see no way to correct.
Sure. sure....they put a bandaid on it (ie: US)....but that's no 'fix'!

dire straights, indeed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14721843
Unread 05 Sep 2011, 11:27 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default Market slide continues...

Quote:
Most major banks in the US and Europe have lost about half of their value over the last six months.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14785694
Unread 13 Sep 2011, 11:06 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default Greece default fears...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14894774

Quote:
At the weekend, German Economy Minister Philipp Roesler suggested that Greece would need an "orderly default" on its debts, a comment that sent global share prices tumbling on Monday
...THE SKY IS FALLING!...THE SKY IS FALLING!
Unread 25 Sep 2011, 11:43 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

Default £1.75 trillion deal to save the euro

British taxpayers risk being caught up in a £1.75trillion deal aimed at saving the euro by allowing Greece to default on its massive debts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-the-euro.html

Unread 30 Sep 2011, 02:24 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
The Greek prime minister has been having a day of talks with fellow EU leaders on a new bailout tranche Greece needs to avoid bankruptcy in October.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15120696

Quote:
Outsiders want them now to integrate faster, to resolve the crisis... But the faster they move, the less legitimate that union may be in the eyes of voters, especially German ones.”
Stephanie Flanders Economics editor, BBC News