Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 27 Sep 2010, 12:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default Business As Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
In regards to civil liberties a person would think Obama would be a great change from W. Bush ... but the opposite is so...

Last week it was reported that the Obama Administration wants to give the FBI power to force internet companies to reveal information about their users' internet activities: things like who they send email to, times and dates of emails, and maybe also information about their web browser activity. Even worse, they want the FBI to be able to demand this information without a warrant!

Earlier this year, the president signed a bill re-authorizing even the most abusive parts of the PATRIOT Act.

It is business as usual for the politicians, regardless of Republican or Democrat...they are both the same these days.
And now there is this.

Here's the most interesting quote of the article, imo: "They basically want to turn back the clock and make Internet services function the way that the telephone system used to function,"

Doesn't matter who holds the highest office in this country it seems as if those in control will continue to strip away a person's privacy and civil liberties ... and now, there doesn't seem to be any reason given for it at all.
Unread 27 Sep 2010, 01:08 PM
GM

All I have to say about this why does this surprise me even slightly.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 27 Sep 2010, 01:20 PM
GM

Politicians must always give a reason why they do something.

From the Yahoo article.

"Federal law enforcement and national security officials say new the regulations are needed because terrorists and criminals are increasingly giving up their phones to communicate online."

And this tried and true method also from the Yahoo article.

"We're talking about lawfully authorized intercepts," said FBI lawyer Valerie E. Caproni. "We're not talking about expanding authority. We're talking about preserving our ability to execute our existing authority in order to protect the public safety and national security."

I seem to remember that public safety and national security are some of the exact same reasons the Patriot Act of 2001 was so needed as well.

As the old saying goes the more things change the more they stay the same. This is an excellent example of President Obama acting sort of like former President George W. Bush.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

Unread 07 Dec 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

More business as usual..

Obama, promises to repeal the tax cuts and now extends them... I'm not here to debate whether or not the tax cuts are good, bad or indifferent, I am just pointing out the fact that Obama is just another politician who isn't scared to lie right to your face...and he certainly isn't in the minority for politicians in doing so.
Unread 07 Dec 2010, 06:15 PM
GM

Well it took almost two years for a person to finally say the President Obama is just another politician and lying to get what he wants which is either getting elected or reelected plain and simple. Come to think of it this is the exact reason President Obama thinks this compromise on tax cuts is such a good idea. It will be really interesting to me if enough people have figured this out by November 2012.

But probably not though because by then President Obama will just have a new set of promises that he is so going to keep just like no way he would ever support tax cuts for the richest among us. Come to think of it I am describing what a politician does and I do not care who this politician is or what political party they come from.

Unread 08 Dec 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post
Well it took almost two years for a person to finally say the President Obama is just another politician...
Other people... I have been saying ALL politicians are the same...regardless of political affiliation for many years now.
Unread 08 Dec 2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Other people... I have been saying ALL politicians are the same...regardless of political affiliation for many years now.
For many years? Try forever ...
Unread 07 Mar 2011, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Business as usual...somewhat slowed by bureaucracy...reported to resume as normal soon.

Obama supported military vehicle sale to Libya stalls.

Libya wanted to upgrade their military transports to better attack opposition and the U.S. (Obama) was willing to help them and all would have gone through if it wasn't for those meddling rebels...

I'm fairly sure Obama will figure a way to get a kickback to the same people he tried to get in this instance but will have to do a different deal with some other rogue nation that America will have some sort of "problem" with in the future...
Unread 08 Mar 2011, 12:18 PM
GM

This sorts of reminds me when former President Reagan gave support to Afghanistan when they were going up against the Soviet Union at the time. As the old saying goes the more things change the more they stay the same.

Unread 09 Mar 2011, 09:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Or giving support to Saddam Hussien as he was gassing entire villages of people...
Unread 06 Apr 2011, 10:08 AM
Hall of Famer

The "conservative" budget plan looks more like a "liberal" budget...

Republicans want to spend $40 trillion over ten years. That averages a staggering $4 trillion per year. As recently as 2000, federal spending was only about $1.8 trillion. They also want to increase the federal debt from $15.0 trillion to $23.1 trillion.
Unread 06 Apr 2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I love your one-eye-opened-one-eye-closed mentality. The GOP spending plan, for this year ONLY is $39.96 [24%] Trillion; the DNC want to spend $45.95 [24.5%] Trillion.

The GOP cannot simply cut 5% of spending overnight. Hence the reason that spending trends [from 2013 to 2022] to 23% of GDP next year, 22%, 21%, 20%, 20%, 20%, 19.5%, 20%, 20%, 20%.

The DNC on the other hand [from 2013 to 2022] will trend 23.5%, 23%, 23%, 23%, 23.5%, 23.5%, 23.5%, 23.75%, 24% and 24.25%.

Revenue's for both sides of the isle project at relatively the same rate.

The GOP has plans to reduce the deficit almost four times MORE than the DNC by 2022.

And that, folks, is the other side of the story.

Nick
Unread 06 Apr 2011, 10:45 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i can't see what's so hard. you want to save real money, you cut 10% across the board. the savings from health care and defense alone will be staggering. if you're afraid to take the heat for specific cuts you tell the agencies we're cutting your funding by 10% you decide where the cuts occur (e.g., staffing, IT, travel, etc.). this way everyone gets equally pissed off and no one group's agenda is furthered.

then you reduce all federal employee wages for wage earners making more than the federal cap (174k) by 10%.

finally you offer early buy outs for any federal employee over the age of 60.

three easy steps to budget reform. but of course that would accomplish something and take away from the political hot-buttons we so badly need in the days leading up to campaign season so we won't see that happening any time soon.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 06 Apr 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
The GOP cannot simply cut 5% of spending overnight. Hence the reason that spending trends [from 2013 to 2022] to 23% of GDP next year, 22%, 21%, 20%, 20%, 20%, 19.5%, 20%, 20%, 20%.

And that, folks, is the other side of the story.
And for relevance sake...Bill Clinton never had a budget that spent more than 20% of GDP ...

GOP=DNC

Keep the excuses coming ... they don't change facts.
Unread 06 Apr 2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
And for relevance sake...Bill Clinton never had a budget that spent more than 20% of GDP ...

GOP=DNC

Keep the excuses coming ... they don't change facts.
You are right, I didn't quote my source. My source is the Wall Street Journal. If you'd like a photo of the paper, I can send it to you.

Where are your 'facts' coming from?

Nick