Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 29 Jan 2008, 11:13 AM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco
Default Santana && Bedard Deals - Soon?

Well, we are still waiting on the Bedard trade to go through.... Seattle will probably really over pay for him....

Quote:
FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the Orioles may be upset enough about Adam Jones' comments on the deal to call off the Erik Bedard trade or at least seek additional compensation.

Yeah, there's good reason the Orioles remain in the running for the title of worst run organization in baseball. Either the deal is good enough or it isn't. Who cares if Jones admitted 12 hours ahead of time that he was going to Baltimore for a physical? If Peter Angelos kills the deal as is -- it's believed to currently be a five-for-one including Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman, Adam Butler and Kam Mickolio -- the Mariners should simply move on. Rosenthal believes the Orioles may now be holding out for Carlos Triunfel, who should be untouchable. Jan. 29 - 3:27 am et
Or, they may call it off... Who knows... We will soon enough.

And of course Santana Sweepstakes... They are saying he could be dealt today (Tuesday 1.29.08)

Quote:
Buster Olney of ESPN reports that "executives involved in the Johan Santana trade talks expect the Minnesota Twins to make their decision soon, perhaps as early as Tuesday."

Call us skeptical after months of non-news, but even if the Twins make a decision soon everyone will still have to wait for Santana to negotiate a long-term contract extension. If a deal is indeed imminent, that suggests the Mets could be the front-runners. Jan. 29 - 11:02 am et

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 06:13 PM
Antagonist.

Santana to the Mets http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220894.

Great news for the World Champion Boston Red Sox. They get to keep their best prospects and the Yankees don't get Santana.
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 09:36 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

I knew a trade prolly HAD to happen......especially after the money Morneau and Cuddyer got......

......and I'd have to say...I'm glad that IF he had to be traded, it was to the NL...and especially not the AL East

Mets fans should be rejoicing....a bit of trivia you may NOT know is....Johan is actually pretty good at the plate as well.....

That said.....I sure hope Twins' scouting sees something others don't....because talent wise, this deal doesn't appear all that great from the Twins' side....not when you're giving up someone like Johan.
Unread 29 Jan 2008, 11:19 PM
Live Hard, Ride Harder

PLEASE EXCUSE MY HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 12:20 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

----ty deal for the twins. makes me want to puke. In december we could have had a 2nd starter and a center fielder from the yanks...but no, we are stubborn and hold out to get....4 non name minor leaguers.

Mark my words. Santana will make a run at 30 wins this year.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 02:52 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanewday View Post
PLEASE EXCUSE MY HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but wasn't last year supposed to be the Mets "year"? I mean...yeah, Johan is a great pitcher, but Colorado still looks good, the Dodgers should be back at full strength, Arizona will still probably be strong, don't get too excited just yet.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 09:25 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
----ty deal for the twins. makes me want to puke. In december we could have had a 2nd starter and a center fielder from the yanks...but no, we are stubborn and hold out to get....4 non name minor leaguers.

Mark my words. Santana will make a run at 30 wins this year.
the more I look at this trade the less I like it from the Twins' standpoint...

what do they want with 3 pitchers who will never be studs when they got dozens of middle/bottom of the rotation prospects already? other than that all they get is a potential light hitting CF to replace Torii with?

And Errol...you better plan to take in a few games at Shea....'cause you've not enjoyed a baseball game until you've watched Johan pitch for your team. There is absolutely NOTHING negative you can say about him....he's all smiles all the time and the consummate pro on the field.....plus the guy'll prolly outhit most of the team percentage wise.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 11:11 AM
GM

Didn't all this start last July when the Twins were not willing to get some help at the trading deadline and Johan openly talked about his displeasure with the Twins?

Sounds like the Twins waited a little to long to make a deal.

Yankees deal. Melky Cabrera and Phillip Hughes.

Now it appears that the Twins will end up with.

Humber, a 25-year-old right-hander, has made one start and four relief appearances for the Mets during the past two years, and went 11-9 with a 4.27 ERA last season for Triple-A New Orleans. The 22-year-old Gomez batted .232 in 125 at-bats with New York last year and .275 with 19 steals in the minors.

Guerra, who turns 19 in April, was 2-6 with a 4.01 ERA at Class A St. Lucie, and Mulvey, who will be 23 in May, was 12-10 with a 3.20 ERA in 26 starts at Double-A Binghamton and one at New Orleans.

I would have gone with the Yankee deal and not the Mets deal.

The main reason is isn't Johan one of the better pitchers in baseball?

One other little part of the story from my ESPN article.

Quote:
With Santana gone, there is a big opening in the Twins' rotation. Francisco Liriano is on track to return after missing last season following elbow surgery, but Carlos Silva signed with Seattle as a free agent, leaving youngsters Scott Baker, Boof Bonser and Kevin Slowey as the starters with the most experience.

Espn Article

And don't think for a second the Twins will get a pitcher easily to replace Johan.

Almost all teams are starved for pitching so it is not easy to get pitchers in a trade and also I don't think the Twins will be throwing a lot of money towards a free agent pitcher because of salary constraints.

It appears to me now that it is going to suck to be a Twins fan this year. Maybe you can take get some support from Marlins fans. This is contingent on their actually being Marlins fans though I guess. I always thought it was not such a smart idea to have a baseball team in Florida because there is so much to do in Florida like visiting Mickey or a beach that people would spend their money elsewhere besides going to a
stadium that baseball is played in when the stadium is geared towards playing football.

Speaking of stadiums when is the Twins new ballpark supposed to open up?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 11:34 AM
Live Hard, Ride Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post

And Errol...you better plan to take in a few games at Shea....'cause you've not enjoyed a baseball game until you've watched Johan pitch for your team. There is absolutely NOTHING negative you can say about him....he's all smiles all the time and the consummate pro on the field.....plus the guy'll prolly outhit most of the team percentage wise.
Imagine 3 20 game winners, plus a closer like Billy. Oh my how scary it will be

Let me introduce you to half of the 2008 National League All Star Team!!!

Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Reyes
Castillo
Martinez
Santana
Wagner

Yes there will be plenty of trips to Maimi to see them play the Marlins.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 11:42 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Imagine 3 20 game winners, plus a closer like Billy. Oh my how scary it will be

Let me introduce you to half of the 2008 National League All Star Team!!!

Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Reyes
Castillo
Martinez
Santana
Wagner

Yes there will be plenty of trips to Maimi to see them play the Marlins.
unfortunately though, they still have to actually win. given they haven't done that in decades, i'll not be holding my breath

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 11:45 AM
Live Hard, Ride Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
unfortunately though, they still have to actually win. given they haven't done that in decades, i'll not be holding my breath
Spoken like a true Mets fan.... wait a minute here
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 12:59 PM
Prospect

I just hope the mets will beat up on the phils who will beat up on the braves who will beat up on the mets, leaving the fins and nats to storm into the playoffs, and therefore giving the NL West a hypothetically easier time in october.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 01:44 PM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Imagine 3 20 game winners, plus a closer like Billy.
They'll be lucky to have 1 20 game winner. The double switches in the NL make it much harder to win 20.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 02:00 PM
Live Hard, Ride Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicwave View Post
I just hope the mets will beat up on the phils who will beat up on the braves who will beat up on the mets, leaving the fins and nats to storm into the playoffs, and therefore giving the NL West a hypothetically easier time in october.

That would be like the Heat making a comeback this year to make the playoffs or something. I would say the Mets being World Series champions in 86 was less of a shocker then the above would be.
Unread 30 Jan 2008, 03:50 PM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadduff View Post
They'll be lucky to have 1 20 game winner. The double switches in the NL make it much harder to win 20.
Santana will EASILY reach 20 wins and make a run at 30. He's on the "senior circuit" now....and he's 28. Sheesh. Even Oliver Perez had a good year last year and he sucks.