Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 29 Dec 2008, 10:53 AM
1st Round Draft Pick

Send a message via ICQ to six24
Default SHOCKER I know

.The Lions also announced the firings of the following assistant coaches: defensive coordinator Joe Barry, assistant offensive line coach Mike Barry, and secondary coach Jimmy Lake. Also fired was assistant director of pro personnel Dave Boller.

The Free Press has confirmed that the Lions fired coach Rod Marinelli this morning. In addition, Tom Lewand has been named club president and Martin Mayhew the team’s general manager, according to a Lions official.
The contract of defensive line coach Joe Cullen will not be renewed and offensive coordinator Jim Colletto has been re-assigned to offensive line coach.

The Lions lost to the Green Bay Packers, 31-21, on Sunday, making them the first team to go winless through a 16-game season. The 1976 expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14) were the last NFL team to complete a season without a victory.

Marinelli told reporters that he expected to have a routine Monday — watch film of Sunday's game, meet with the team and then with owner William Clay Ford Sr. later in the day.

Marinelli was 10-38 in three seasons in Detroit.

The Lions have lost 23 of their last 24 games. The 0-16 record will be a lasting testimony to the Matt Millen era. With Millen as president of the team from 2001 until he was fired on Sept. 24, Detroit won only 31 games.
Unread 29 Dec 2008, 01:05 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

ya know what? This is Millenesque.....I don't think Marinelli should be gone, personally....he didn't get nearly enough control on personnel, they didn't GIVE him nearly enough personnel, he did about as much as he could with what little he had...

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 29 Dec 2008, 01:24 PM
GM

I was so shocked the Lions lost in a place they had not won at since the president we have now father was president?

I was reading earlier today that a high up cushy job at the Lions front office and the new general manager both have pretty close ties to Millen.

This is partially Marinelli fault because he did not seem to be able to adapt and that is one of the most important things a head coach can do for a team.

But those players that Marinelli had to work with were not very good and not exactly the 1985 Bears defense plus the Patriots offense last season.

One other thing who in there right mind would want to coach under the conditions I just mentioned?

There is always someone who thinks they can turn a team around.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 29 Dec 2008, 03:21 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by P562045 View Post

One other thing who in there right mind would want to coach under the conditions I just mentioned?

There is always someone who thinks they can turn a team around.
for the money they make to coach these teams, i'd be more than willing to do it under whatever conditions they wanted

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 29 Dec 2008, 08:23 PM
1st Round Draft Pick

Send a message via ICQ to six24

my question is why did they wait until the day after the last game. Were they going to keep him if they somehow pulled out a miracle win in a place the haven't won at in 17 years?

there's always somebody who thinks they can fix things, for the right price.

The Lions version of insanity is to keep repeating the same thing over and over (for 55 years) and expect a different result.